Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 12-26-2009, 08:59 AM   #121
uk_john
Dungeon Master

Default Re: Tech Tips (game not working? Read this!)

Well, I upgraded from Nvidia 8600 to an ATI 4850, so i reinstalled the game, then installed the 1.0 patch from here, then the graphics patch from here, set it at 1280x1024 and ---- ta da - the game works! Look through this thread and you'll see I had all sorts of grief with my nvidia card, trying all sorts of things.

The best I could manage was software mode using a slowdown utility (see above!). Now with an ATI card I need no slowdown software or anything, and the game (well the text especially!) looks fantastic! Now all I have to do is start learning to play the game and survive until my team has levelled up a bit!!!
uk_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:15 AM   #122
Huwge
Dungeon Master

Moved on to a new PC. Any idea if W&W will run on Win7 64 'out of the box' without endless tweaking?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-15-2011, 05:41 AM   #123
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huwge View Post
Moved on to a new PC. Any idea if W&W will run on Win7 64 'out of the box' without endless tweaking?

Thanks in advance
No. It won't! I'm making real headway using virtual PC with windows 98 though. Don't I feel lucky I saved that old CD. Still not perfect, but I might be getting there.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:52 AM   #124
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Hi! I've search around and found this, hope it works for those who are using win7.

Quote:
Play Wizards & Warriors On Windows 7
By Jonathan Moeller - Last updated: Wednesday, August 25, 2010

One of the computer games I’ve enjoyed the most was the old “Wizards & Warriors” dungeon-crawl RPG, released way back in 2000. Getting it to work properly on Windows 7 is something of a challenge, but it is possible. Here’s how to do it.

First, you need to configure the game’s compatibility settings. Right-click on the shortcut for the game and select Properties. When the “Properties” dialog box appears, click on the Compatibility tab. You’ll need to enable the following settings:

-Run the program in compatibility mode for Windows 98 / Windows ME

-Run in 640 x 480 screen resolution.

-Disable desktop composition.

-Run tthis program as an administrator.

This will allow the game to run in Windows 7, but the town interfaces will not work. The town interface screens are based off an old form of the AVI codec, which isn’t supported properly in versions of Windows beyond Windows 98. To get the town interface screen to work properly, download a program called Virtualdub, which you can get by following this link.

Using Virtualdub, convert all the AVI files in this directory:

C:\Program Files\Activision\WizardsWarriors\townavi

To do so, open the AVI files, and from Virtualdub’s file menu, select “Save as old”. Make absolutely sure the new files have the same name as the old ones, otherwise they will not work.

Once the AVI files have been converted, you can now play Wizards & Warriors. Enjoy!

-JM
Source = http://www.jonathanmoeller.com/screed/?p=1977
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #125
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks Kakero!! Hope that will be helpful!!!
Old 04-30-2017, 10:58 AM   #126
Veneficium
Welcomed New User

Hi guys, quite new here and was wondering if anyone has had a similar issue. I can get W&W up and running on Win 10, crashes occasionally of course, but I have a different problem. Whenever I move the in-game cursor over any icon on the menus or to choose a different town or the inventory icon etc etc.. The cursor freezes on the icon and won't move for a few seconds even though i'm still moving the cursor. It makes it difficult to click on icons too. If anyone has any light to shed on this it would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: This is embarrassing, bit I fixed it by changing the "driver" in the Graphics Options to "D3D 640x480". I realise this was mentioned below in an older post but I didn't think that could be the issue. Anyway, thats that if anybody has this issue.

Last edited by Veneficium; 04-30-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Veneficium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:32 AM   #127
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks for posting Veneficium!! Glad you were able to solve your problem too!!
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 12:44 PM   #128
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Say, I've always kinda regretted that I never played W&W. Is it available online for Win 7?
Old 05-06-2017, 09:30 AM   #129
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attalus View Post
Say, I've always kinda regretted that I never played W&W. Is it available online for Win 7?
No. You may still be able to find copies of the game, but Win98 was probably the OS of the time and the game was never supported in the years that followed. Some players have found ways to get the game to run.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:05 PM   #130
Shadow Stranger

People are hoping it might come out on Gog, but that has not yet happened...
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote