Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2004, 05:31 AM   #1
Yonder
Welcomed New User

Hi all,

first of all: Without the tech help compartement in this forum I would not have been able to play this great game. I had all problems one can have since I played Wiz & War on two WinXP desktops and a Win2000 notebook, and none of them wanted to run the game without greater adjustments. So I'm deeply greatful for both the helpful posters and the forum who organized their help so well.

About the game: I've been playing Wizardry 7 for many month in the early 90s, and Wizardry 8 several times about a year ago and loved them both. Actually, I think Wizards & Warriors is more a follow-up to Wiz 7 than Wiz8 was. Anyway: My first walk through W&W with a very intuitive and unspoiled knowledge about skills & parties was quite easy. I generally think that fighting is quite easy here. Easier as in Wiz7 or Wiz8. Except of course for the mantraps/lillies who seem to be buggy to me. At least their damage is too high compared to all the other monsters.

I really liked the riddles, the speech, the story as a whole - here Wizardry is clearly the best game around.

What I disliked: I started the game with an axe warrior/barbarian. (I always to that - no matter what game I play ) But there are no axes in the game. Just swords, swords and more swords. And later on: Mighty daggers. But no axes, no spears, no clubs/maces, who could compete against the swords. This is - IMHO - quite dissapointing.

In my first party I had exactly one role change for each char. And everyone was just member of one - some of two - guild. This is - as I know now - not perfect. So my second party - that will only consist of 4 chars - will do quite different. I will change roles much more often, be member of all guilds and so on. I don't have to tell you - the forum - what I mean. [img]smile.gif[/img]

So: Thanks to all of you who helped me out. This is a very friendly and mature community - much like the one for Wizardry 8 on vgnboards where I've been posting before.

CU
Yonder
Yonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 07:56 AM   #2
bsftcs
Red Dragon

In that case we had better live up to our good reputation then, and bid you a warm welcome. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]

Nice to have you with us. Do hang around here. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-10-2004, 10:13 AM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Welcome to the boards, Yonder. [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] May life in the Gael Serran provide you with many lifetimes' worth of adventures.

And I'm glad you found the Tech Tips thread useful. It's helped me as well.

There are definitely some things I'd like to see differently in the game, but it was rushed to release because of rapidly diminishing funds. BTW, did you ever find the Devil's Axe? That's a decent axe for you... The swords and daggers are by far the preferred weapons, which is also disappointing to me as well. I'd rather have to make a choice...

But as you've seen, one of the best things about the game is that no matter what you do, you can still win. And enjoy yourself, of course. Keep us posted on your next game and the new experiences you get. We're always interested
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 10:57 AM   #4
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
BTW, did you ever find the Devil's Axe? That's a decent axe for you...
Decent but cursed.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:15 AM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Aw, curses aren't so bad. Team 'em up with an item of regeneration, and they even out.

*edit* doesn't mean I'd go out of my way for a cursed weapon, but they're not as bad as they could be...

[ 01-10-2004, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Bungleau ]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 01:10 PM   #6
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to the board, Yonder!!!

That Tech Tips thread is a wonderful collective effort by many posters here! Their efforts have helped so many players!!

Bradley who is responsible for W&W worked on several of the Wizardry series so it isn't surprising that there a similarities. I really would have liked to have seen what W&W would have been had they been able to complete it as they originally planned and not rushed it to market. I think many of the things players didn't like might have been resolved. We'll never know for certain though.

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote