Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2004, 09:00 AM   #131
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by burnzey boi:
the government will have to ban smoking completly because of the damage to the people and the world around us. animals get affected too.
Do you have a car ?
Old 12-01-2004, 09:12 AM   #132
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
Which is why the smoking bans are for indoor public places only.
Not true. In some Towns you can get fined for smoking in the street.

I love this thread. It reminds me of another forum i'm on. So much tension!

And Johnny thats an ace point. And you can add to it.

Do you use CFC's?
Old 12-01-2004, 09:21 AM   #133
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
the government will have to ban smoking completly because of the damage to the people and the world around us. animals get affected too.
I realise you are not quite old enough to base this judgement on anything, I think your opinions may change in the future, and frankly I hope they do. I strongly disagree with taking away freedom from the public, and it simply should not be done.
If I were the government, I would make it mandatory to have bio-degradable self extinguishing filters. That would improve pollution, but to take away a right... well.
Sure the environment is a concern, but carbon monoxide from cigarettes is not that much of a problem, and what's the point of saving the world if we can't do what we want?
Old 12-01-2004, 09:31 AM   #134
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Beaumanoir:

Do you use CFC's?
chloro fluor carbons degrade the atmosphere whereas carbon monoxide improves it, making it more effective at blocking, yet with the side effect of trapping the sun's rays. CFCs are responsible for the hole in the atmosphere, they degrade the O3 gas, that is ozone gas, and allow the sun's rays to enter the earth (especially over Australia un filtered).
A nice on topic note is that jet engines produce O3, so consider every time you're flying somewhere you're helping the ozone, and every time you use a deodorant (or other aerosol product) that doesn't say "CFC free"... well you're destroying the world.

EDIT: i wonder what would happen if we purposely released CFCs into the atmosphere to reduce global warming? this is the total opposite of what i have said above, but it got me thinking, would it work?

[ 12-01-2004, 09:35 AM: Message edited by: Intrepid ]
Old 12-01-2004, 09:55 AM   #135
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Or would it be possible to create a O3 producing plant which releases it into the atmosphere?

I'm pretty sure it's poisonous though... And that it's supposed to smell of geraniums.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:31 AM   #136
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
Smoking on planes is another example. People have been banned from smoking for years yet despite a nervous 12 hour flight people in general accept the situation and the reason for fines if they break the law. The bottom line is more people fly now with smoking bans than before.
Yes but you can't attribute that to banned smoking, echonomic conditions have changed over time, arifairs have fallen, relative income has increased, and the world has genrally becme more globalised, bringing much more need for air travel.

Quote:
did u know u spend up to 16,000 a year on cigarettes? if there is a population of 5 and a half billion thats like bying a space ship and living on the moon with 100 butlers and a 4 story home. its really a waste of money.
But why should i alter my spending patterns? isn't that the consumer's choice and right? what is the purpost to work if you are not permitted to spend money ernt in the way you wish. $16,000 is an unbelievably high ammount, that is multiple packs a day.

Quote:
Originally posted by jsalsb:
we are ALL paying for your deteriorating health and the astronomical health care costs that must be absorbed by the system (and therefore the taxpayers!). One US (CDC) study showed that smokers cost the healthcare system nearly $200,000 more over the span of their life than non-smokers.
But the purpose of helthcare is to ensure the well being of society, to discriminate against specific people defeats the purpose, smokers pay for the system as much as other people, and they deserve equal rights.

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
Let's face it. IT'S BAD FOR YOU! And if it affects others then, you can't do it. That's like pouring all your toxic sludge on the ground and saying it doesn't affect anybody!
But you're missing the point, even if it is bad for me it is my right to do so.

And why should smoking be banned in all pubs? it should be an optional thing, why restrict freedom further? why take something else away. Maybe smokers like to smoke with their friends in a nice environment. All i'm saying is that perhaps some pubs should take the ban on, and some should remain smoking pubs.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:36 AM   #137
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
did u know u spend up to 16,000 a year on cigarettes? if there is a population of 5 and a half billion thats like bying a space ship and living on the moon with 100 butlers and a 4 story home. its really a waste of money.
That's about £6,500 a year on cigs. That's approxamatly £18 a day on cigarettes.

Which, I can safely say is b*******.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:41 AM   #138
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Or would it be possible to create a O3 producing plant which releases it into the atmosphere?

I'm pretty sure it's poisonous though... And that it's supposed to smell of geraniums.
that's a good idea.
It smells a little, a lot of old electronic circuits used it, i'm not sure for what or if they still do, but i liked that smell... yeah i'm strange.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:49 AM   #139
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
quote:
That's about £6,500 a year on cigs. That's approxamatly £18 a day on cigarettes.

[/QUOTE]i know!
that's just insane!

burnzey, i forgot to add, not all of earth's population smoke, and those that do do not spend that much so that brings down that number further.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:53 AM   #140
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Intrepid:
quote:
quote:

[/QUOTE]i know!
that's just insane!

burnzey, i forgot to add, not all of earth's population smoke, and those that do do not spend that much so that brings down that number further.
[/QUOTE]I'm presuming he meant $16,000 austrailian dollars, i'm guessing because his location said Australia. So if my calculations are correct (Based on that one austrailian dollar is about 40.49 pence.)

Nobody spends £18 on smoking a day, unless they are either a chain toker or smoking cuban fatties.