Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2002, 08:28 AM   #1
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Here's the story.

Funny that he was on al-Jazeera TV Thursday saying, "catch me if you can" and Friday they got him.

Here's an excerpt:

The Arabic-language al-Jazeera news agency reported this week that in an interview conducted in June, Binalshibh claimed responsibility for the Sept. 11 attacks and that Mohammed identified him as the “coordinator” of al-Qaida’s “Holy Tuesday operation.” Sept. 11, 2001, was a Tuesday.
While living in Hamburg, Germany, Binalshibh was a roommate of Mohammed Atta, the presumed leader of the 19 hijackers, and the FBI has said it believes Binalshibh would have been the 20th hijacker had his request for a U.S. visa not been rejected five times in 2000 and 2001.

NUCLEAR TARGET?
In the al-Jazeera interview, Mohammed and Binalshibh claimed that al-Qaida had considered striking U.S. nuclear facilities on Sept. 11 and would not rule out nuclear attacks in the future.

[ 09-14-2002, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 09-14-2002, 10:03 AM   #2
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Yeah, his effete-looking face was the first thing that I saw when I signed onto AOL this morning. No wonder they have such a thing about women.
Old 09-14-2002, 10:16 AM   #3
Jorath Calar
Harper

Quote:
We “decided against it for fear it would go out of control,” Fouda quoted Mohammed as saying.
This scares me more than words can express...
Old 09-14-2002, 11:40 AM   #4
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Like Attalus I saw his pic when I signed on Aol. My thought was what retard farm did he come out of? Looks may be deceiving but he looks...dim...no wonder he couldnt get a visa
Old 09-14-2002, 11:44 AM   #5
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

hmm. Call me cynical... but I wonder if they MEANT him to be captured... as a matyr or something... to feed em false information... ick. I wonder if they'll torture him... sorry, I mean "interigate". yes, so I'm being cynical.... it seems very convinet doesnt it? ah. enough. if they can get any information out of him and bring the "others" to "justice" so be it.
Old 09-14-2002, 01:21 PM   #6
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Calaethis Dragonsbane:
hmm. Call me cynical... but I wonder if they MEANT him to be captured... as a matyr or something... to feed em false information... ick. I wonder if they'll torture him... sorry, I mean "interigate". yes, so I'm being cynical.... it seems very convinet doesnt it? ah. enough. if they can get any information out of him and bring the "others" to "justice" so be it.
I'm not sure that capturing someone over a year after the search began is too convenient, but I do understand your point. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2002, 01:23 PM   #7
Horatio
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Oh well, he's behind bars, electric fences, attack dogs and crack army troops. that's SOME good news.
Old 09-14-2002, 05:01 PM   #8
MagiK

Glad they caught the jerk, but sad that we are now going to have to pay to keep him alive. What ever happened to military tribunals and firing squads?

Old 09-14-2002, 05:04 PM   #9
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

they'll execute him... (some) of the american ppl will cry out for blood, er and justice. and they'll execute the bastard. oh, excuse my language... no, I think they'll wring all the information the can outa him, then turn him over to the courts. then they'll execute him. hes already condeemed himself right? well, they'll kill him. Imo.
Old 09-14-2002, 05:25 PM   #10
Moni

5 more arrested in Buffalo. Let's hope this "One by one" approach can make a difference.

"WASHINGTON (Sept. 14) - Terrorism arrests made outside Buffalo, N.Y., and in a Pakistani firefight emboldened authorities Saturday in their far-flung campaign against al-Qaida and its supporters. "One by one we're hunting the killers down,'' President Bush said.

Officials said five men from Lackawanna, N.Y., received weapons training at an al-Qaida camp visited by Osama bin Laden last summer and were charged with providing support to terrorism.

The charges were the latest in a series made in the United States over the past three weeks. Officials said the arrests underscore the broad reach of al-Qaida even in America and the breadth of the campaign to track the terrorists down.

``Terrorism and support of terrorists is not confined to large cities and metropolitan areas of America,'' Larry Thompson, deputy attorney general, told a news conference at Justice Department headquarters. ``It lurks in small towns and rural areas, as well.''

With the Buffalo arrests, U.S. law enforcement ``has identified, investigated and disrupted an al-Qaida-trained terrorist cell on American soil.''

Officials would say little about the fate of Ramzi Binalshibh, an alleged Sept. 11 plotter, since his capture in an assault by Pakistani forces and CIA agents in Karachi on Wednesday, a year to the day after the terrorist attack on America.

Thompson would not comment on Germany's request to extradite Binalshibh, suspected of being part of al-Qaida's Hamburg cell. The FBI believes he was intended to be the 20th hijacker of Sept. 11 but was repeatedly denied entry into the United States.

``One by one we're hunting the killers down,'' President Bush said Saturday at Camp David, Md. ``We are relentless, we are strong and we're not going to stop.''

Authorities said the five arrested in Buffalo, all born in America and of Yemeni descent, heard a speech from bin Laden promoting his anti-American and anti-Israeli views while they trained at the al-Farooq camp in Afghanistan in the summer of 2000.

John Walker Lindh, an American who pleaded guilty to aiding the Taliban in Afghanistan, attended the same camp, they said. Officials declined to comment when asked whether Lindh provided any information that helped lead to the arrests.

The men were charged with providing material support and resources to a foreign terrorist organization - charges carrying maximum penalties of 15 years in prison upon conviction.

Justice officials thanked Muslim-Americans in the Buffalo area and elsewhere with helping them to crack the suspected U.S. al-Qaida ring, but did not specify what assistance law enforcement agencies got.

The investigation was continuing and FBI Director Robert Mueller said authorities ``do not fully know the intentions of those who were charged today.'' Two of the men have confirmed their visit to the al-Qaida camp, officials said.

In Pakistan, a raid and gunfight this week in Karachi nabbed Binalshibh, officials disclosed Friday.

Germany's interior minister, Otto Schily, said Saturday he would seek the extradition of Binalshibh to Germany, which had issued an international arrest warrant for him. It was not immediately clear how Germany's extradition request would affect U.S. plans for Binalshibh.

Attorney General John Ashcroft, attending a meeting of the 15 European Union justice ministers Saturday in Denmark, did not directly address the developments but cited increased cooperation with the EU countries on terrorism.

The capture by CIA operatives and Pakistani forces ended a one-year global manhunt for Binalshibh, who authorities alleged provided money and logistical support to the Sept. 11 hijackers.

The arrest of Binalshibh was a coup for U.S. authorities who have searched for him for months. Officials said he was not wounded during the capture.

Binalshibh, 30, who was born in Yemen, was frustrated in his attempts to receive a visa to enter the United States in 2000, where, U.S. officials allege, he planned to join the other 19 hijackers.

He is considered an aide to Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, believed to be the mastermind of the Sept. 11 suicide hijackings, officials said. Mohammed is still at large.

Officials declined to discuss Binalshibh's whereabouts, or whether he was providing information to authorities.

To catch him, police commandos fought a pitched battle with al-Qaida suspects holed up in an apartment Wednesday, with combat spilling out onto adjoining rooftops, officials said. They said two suspects were killed and several more captured in the fighting, as Pakistan stepped up pressure on the remnants of the terrorist movement.

At least six officers were wounded when police stormed the top-floor apartment and the rooftop where the gunmen held out against hundreds of troops in the street and on the roofs of nearby apartment blocks, they said. Two of the wounded were reported in critical condition.

U.S. personnel were not hurt in the raid, American officials said.

According to the U.S. grand jury indictment of Zacarias Moussaoui, an alleged conspirator in the Sept. 11 attacks, Binalshibh applied four times for a visa to enter the United States from May to October 2000, but was rebuffed each time.

After being denied a visa for the third time, Binalshibh allegedly began funneling money to associates inside the United States. He wired money to Moussaoui, to at least two hijackers and to a Florida flight school at which one of the hijackers was training, the indictment said.

As for the Buffalo-area arrests, the five men lived just a few blocks from each other and were discovered through recent investigation and intelligence suggesting they were part of a terrorist cell, officials said.

They were one of the reasons America's terrorist alert status was elevated to orange, the second highest, but not the only reason, a government official said.

09/14/02 17:05 EDT"