Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2006, 04:39 PM   #1
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Does anyone work with or know a bit about air conditioners?

I have used them for years but am installing one in a second room in my house which proved slightly complicated.

Well, my main issue is that the room I want to put an aircon. in has an outlet that is on the other side of the room. This means that I cannot have it in the only window because the cord won't reach to the wall outlet. Everyone I talk to tells me you cannot use an extension cord with an aircon. as it will overheat and cause a fire eventually. So that is out of the question. But then I got thinking maybe places like Radioshack have special extensions for this kind of power that you can safely use with absolutely no risk at all. I'd only use these if there was 0 risk since I would be leaving it on for prolonged periods, including when I leave the house. Anyone ever seen anything like this or is it simply not an option?

My alternative would be to put it in the room next door, and allow it to cool both rooms. This would be the compromise but is not without problems also. This second room is my computer room and has at least 2 systems there that are in use daily. I have concerns about power if I add an aircon. in the same room. This room already has one fan and a Casio keyboard atop the two computers (with router, speakers, cpu's and monitors all plugged in). So I am unsure about that one also. Maybe I am being overly careful but I don't like the thought of power cuts happening and possibily damaging my hard drives or data on there. Anyways any insights would be appreciated.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:36 PM   #2
Captain Obvious
Elminster

Penguin Bashing Champion Simon Champion Snakeman Champion
I dont pretend to be an expert, and i will say that i have never actually done this with an aircon unit, but you could perhaps open the thing up and totally replace the cord with a longer one? that way, no extension cord, and you cna make it as long as you need.

We did this with a heater we had - and it has worked perfectly.

It is ironic that using a cooling device can cause a fire...

anyway, as i say, this might be an idea, but do check it out properly first!
Good luck!
Old 05-25-2006, 08:56 PM   #3
Thoran
Galvatron

An extension cord is a fire hazard if it is undersized for the current requirements of the device it will be powering. Determine the Air Conditioner power requirement and find a cord at your local hardware store that has larger capacity than the unit. I have a 50' cord capable of supporting 30amp devices (over 3KW), the key is having large enough conductors (it's heavy... a LOT of metal). The other potential issue for large power needs (I don't think an A/C unit would qualify) would be the plugs... they need to be able to handle the required current without excessive ohmic heating. If you buy a fully built cable, the plugs will be able to deal with current up to the rating of the cable... if you build your own you need to check the current rating of the plugs to make sure they're suitable.

Finally... you need to make sure the cable is routed in a way that will keep it safe from damage or abrasion. Personally this is where I'd get nervous... extension cords are really intended for short duration use not for permanent duty, and it's hard to insure they won't be inadvertantly damaged.

I'd recommend that if you plan to use this unit for more than a very short period of time you get ahold of a local electrical contractor and have him run a new outlet to the window for you. It's really the right way to solve this problem.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:07 PM   #4
Arvon
Unicorn

You can get extensions for heavy duty use such as washers, dryers and fredges. Check with your home improvement store. But you will still have the tripping over it problem. Look for something in the 12 -14 gauge.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Arvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:23 PM   #5
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Three things come to mind.
1. Add a second outlet to the wall where you prefer the A/C to be installed.

2. Go to your hardware or appliance service store, and get an ultra heavy duty "Flat" extension cord. This will not be cheap. It will be in the 8-10 gauge configuration, but will handle the load without issue. You want the flat style so as you can attach it to the baseboard with special H/D cable anchors, and negate the tripping hazard as well.

3. Make exact measurements from the unit, along the prefered path of cord placement to the wall outlet. Take these measurements to a dedicated electrical shop, and explain your plan to them. They will should either provide you with A, a custom made 8-10 gauge extension cord. B, an external wire channel from the outlet along the wall to the unit. C, a custom cord for repacing the unit's cord.

Remember, it's the Amps, not the voltage that creats heat. In addition, some A/Cs pull 12 amp, and US code only provides for 15 amp on wall outlets. In essence, with the A/C on during house cleaning detail, you could blow the circuit if the A/C and vaccum were to sahre the same line.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:27 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

If there's an electrician you trust, have them over and explain the dilemma. Ask them to review the alternatives and give you the pros and cons.

My own thoughts are that the AC should be on its own plug and own circuit... but I'm no electrician. Just a guy with a healthy respect for the power of electricity...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote