Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-30-2004, 04:39 PM   #11
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:
Performance won't improve!
The Expos arn't really a bad team, they just have no money. They do a great job of building up players in the farm system, and then they can't afford to keep them once they get good. Hopefully the fans in the DC area will actually support the team to the point where they can start to do well.

EDIT: Well, I guess SpongeBob already said this, oh well...

[ 09-30-2004, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Seraph ]
Old 09-30-2004, 11:58 PM   #12
Marathon
Elminster

Peter D'Angelo, the owner of the Orioles, had lobbied Bud Selig to keep this from happening for a long time, complaining that it would eat into his fan base. For the past two years the Expos have been playing 20+ home games in Puerto Rico. How in the world is that fair? Makes it real easy to keep a fan base interested.

Exchange rate differences and MLB accounting have made it hard for the Expos to compete in a league without a salary cap. Add in the fact that to many big leaguers, Canada is not where they want to be (and neither is KC, much as I love it here, so don't think I'm throwing stones) it was only a matter of time. I think it's too bad when franchises move, even if interest wasn't high. We could lose the Royals eventually as well. I would love to see a salary cap/ salary minimum. I think it could solve some (not nearly all) of baseball's problems, but the players union won't allow it. Their greed could kill the sport.
Old 10-01-2004, 10:24 AM   #13
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

I wish there were a cap. We wouldn't be seeing the same AL East teams in the playoffs every year if there were a cap.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:25 AM   #14
Mack_Attack
Osiris - Egyptian God of the Underworld

Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
::reads only topic:: The Expos? Does that mean Manatoba will be without a basketball team for much longer?
I heard the lakers are moving there.
Old 10-01-2004, 11:51 AM   #15
Neomi
Zhentarim Guard

I heard a great suggestion for the new name of the Expos on CNN this morning. The guy was saying that they should recycle the uniforms and call them the

"SExpoTs"

[img]smile.gif[/img]

Just had to LOL because of the prediliction of politicians to chase the skirts...