Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2002, 02:12 AM   #1
madmartigan
The Magister

So far i have found one tactic extremely fun! Working threw Soa AGAIn with ToB installed, gona head to that godawful tower again!

Anyway here's what my party is comprised of!
Me Ranger/Cleric Half-orc(all i did was switch pics and stuff in Shadowkeeper can't stand those fruity half-elves)
Mazzy-Sniper
Edwin-Caster
Jan-theif+comic relief
Paladin(forgot his name atm, brainfart DOH!) Love the dispel magics!
And Jaheira-minitank/druid may drop her for a better replacement!

So here's what i do, i scout all area's with Jan, then when i have spotted the enemy i then cast EVERY area effect spell, snares, greases,webs x4 or so and others but can't remember there name's atm!

Then the enemy is all STUCK, i then Cast all sorts of protection spellz on my ranger/cleric(freeaction included) walk in and start tanking targets one at a time, meanwhile mazzy is sniping, BOth edwin+jan NUking with fireballz and such, Pally using is X-bow or sometimes i'll run him in with ring of free action and finally jahiera casting insect plague on all!

SO far this tactic has WORKED very well and the battles last a good amount of time and i do well...Not an insta kill tactic but works well!
madmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 03:34 AM   #2
Jan

He he. You sure love magic

I just enrage my berserker warrior and haste him. He'll take care of buisness However, I like the web spell. It is so funny. You cast it and then hack the monsters to pieces
Old 05-08-2002, 04:00 AM   #3
andrewas
Harper

Send out your theif alone, with a decent short sword, healing potions and invisible.

Nothing w/o true sight will survive. Not if your clever.
Old 05-08-2002, 05:37 AM   #4
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

What do you mean - w/o true sight?

Cloak of non-detection rulez. My solo assassin will never take off that particular item. Put down traps then backstab the rest - how's that for a tactic [img]smile.gif[/img]
antonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 06:08 AM   #5
andrewas
Harper

True sight comes in to forms. The kind you can get, and the kind demons and dragons have naturaly. The latter beats a cloak on n/d. Of course, you cant backstab dragons anyway.
Old 05-08-2002, 09:17 AM   #6
F. Gottwald
Manshoon

i don´t have tob, so not sure if these work through the whole game...

keep stonekins up at all times. if you´re having problems, also keep long-duration summons like skeleton warriors with you.

take enemy casters down quickly, before they get their protections up. if you aren´t fast enough, pay attention to what they did and , consecutively, what their vulnerabilities are - debuffing spells are usually not the most efficient way to get rid of them - area spells, weapons with elemental damage, normal weapons, insect spells... often one of these works.

get hidden people into positions before you start a frontal assault... this is most obvious for thieves, but having that ranger where you need him when the fight starts can be a sizable advantage as well.

some fine and not too smelly cheese:

cloak of mirroring, cloak of reflection, lots of lightning bolts (best from sequencers): have two characters on opposite ends of a big meanie like your average dragon and give him the shock of his life.

send a jellyfied (and probably stoneskinned) character into the fray to attract their attention and dump numerous death fogs or similar magic on top of him (alternatively, get someones fire reistance to 100 or above, have him take on things singlehandedly and dump a few fireballs/meteor swarms etc on top of him or use spell immunity instead of polymorph self - these have the advantage of not impairing the bait chars fighting abiltiy but they remain vulnerable to enemy magic.)

make soemone invulnerable with multiple armours of faith... if he can´t cut down all the opposition until the protection wears off, throw in an improved haste.

extremely mature and smelly cheese:

cloudkills from afar (preferably from a wand - ignores mr)

blade barrier and sanctuary: most people will allow themselves to be cut into ickle little bits without doing anything about it.

whack them, turn invisible before they hit back: staff of magi allows you to do that as often as you want. obviously, this works best with thief/mages.

make full use of projected images/simulacra: have them summon lots of things like skeleton warriors or have them use up priceless charged items... like protection from magic scrolls or, best of all, that rift device your familiar carried out of hte sewers for you...
Old 05-08-2002, 09:38 AM   #7
Gothmog, Lord of Balrogs
Elminster

in ToB, the Cloak of Non-Detection doesn't work like it did in SoA. Oracle, True Sight, and True Seeing cancel the cloak, which they aren't supposed to do, since it is an item power and cannot be dispelled. i currently have fixed it, but it has a Spell Immunity/Globe of Invulnerability swirly orb thing around it. oh well.

and by the way, ANY strategy at all will work 90% of the time. that's what is so great about BG2. many other games force you to develop one particular strategy, which is bad. For instance, the wizardry games are set up so that spellcasting in the endgame is worthless, since everyone attacks 8 times/turn. at the end of ToB, it is kinda balanced, since fighters are truly an awesome force, mages and clerics are insanely powerful, and thieves can use assassinate, which allows every hit in the next round to count as a backstab (x5!)

that's why the game is so good, and so popular. everyone can even solo with great success. it's even easier to develop strategies with a party, since you have so many hundreds of options.

Applause to madmartigan for a truly original strategy, one that i doubt has been used much (until now!)
Old 05-08-2002, 12:02 PM   #8
Gothmog, Lord of Balrogs
Elminster

ooh... F. Gottwald's sanctuary/blade barrier is truly nasty. ouch. too bad it doesn't work on dragons. In ToB, you get Globe of Blades, which is a much improved Blade Barrier, and Aura of Flaming Death, which is a combination of Fireshield:Red, Resist Fire, and Globe of Blades. i can see someone with all three of those walking up to Jonny or some big lich and giving him a little slicy-burny action.

you should get ToB. it's quite fun, and has a much more satisfying ending than SoA. Also, everyone should go to Baldurdash if they haven't already. It is greatly helpful, and has some cool Kangaxx/solo mage stuff too. experienced players should look at TeamBG also, since it allows you to make your own bugfixes, and put those (hopefully not too-) powerful weapons and items Bioware never thought of into the game.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:32 AM   #9
F. Gottwald
Manshoon

i don´t think i will get tob...

- power level (especially where items are concerned) is ott in soa already (imo, ad&d works best between level 5 and 15)
- slow computer, it can just about handle soa.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:40 AM   #10
Gothmog, Lord of Balrogs
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by F. Gottwald:
i don´t think i will get tob...

- power level (especially where items are concerned) is ott in soa already (imo, ad&d works best between level 5 and 15)
- slow computer, it can just about handle soa.
AD&D is even better when at lvl 3 or so. it is kind of a "oh my gosh i'm gonna die i'm gonna die run run run hit him with a stick run run AAAHH!" fun, and it's much more interesting. however, at high levels you get cool weapons, and everything gets bigger. That's one of the reasons i like the original Dragonball much better than Z or GT. not that that has to do with anything, but i understand your point about being overpowerful to the point of the game not being a challenge. the great thing about BGII is that no matter how good you are, there's always someone that can kick your butt.

i may get good 'ole BG1, just out of curiosity about the entire series, and for the ability to get all the Pantaloons without cheating. [img]graemlins/evillaughter2.gif[/img]