Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2005, 11:20 AM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Here is one movie that wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be. Although some things seemed rather illogical (a blacksmith becoming a master-swordfighter and a strategic mastermind in only a few weeks), and the film was packed with the cliche's we've grown to love (such as in the scene in which he knights half the city) the plot wasn't all that bad, and I was pleasantly surprised when I heard the soundtrack of The Thirteenth warrior. I also suspect that Ridley doesn't care much for religion. The priests of both Christianity and the Islam seem a bunch of creepy fanatics (with the exception of the Bishop - who is just corrupt and incompetent ) Opinions?

[ 05-14-2005, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: Dreamer128 ]
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 12:07 PM   #2
Griefmaker
The Magister

I agree with everything you said. The whole blacksmith becoming a wise baron and master swordfighter overnight was stretching it a bit. The fight seens were pretty cool, but I was sort of hoping for a more "braveheart" type of movie. Plus, I am not really too fond or Orlando Bloom...
Old 05-14-2005, 11:40 PM   #3
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

Yea, i was kinda hopin hed sacrafice himself for the good of the people or somtin too.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:00 AM   #4
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

I guess he did. He could have been married to the woman he loved, and made King of Jerusalem. I would have taken the offer in his place. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-15-2005, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: Dreamer128 ]
Old 05-15-2005, 03:30 PM   #5
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

<font color=plum>Haven't seen the movie yet. Regarding the complaints of a blacksmith becoming a master strategist almost overnight, the fact is that some people DO have a natural ability to lead men and direct battles. If you look through history, there are plenty of examples of generals that stood head and shoulders above their peers. Not because their training was any better, but because these men just had an instinctive knowledge of how to lead troops and fight battles.

Ok...Hollywood admittedly overplays this cliche' to death (usually accompanied by the obligatory training montage). But the concept itself isn't that big a stretch.

As for the criticisms of the religious leaders on both sides, Hollywood is also known for it's disdain of religion in general and Christianity in particular. It is nigh impossible to find a Hollywood movie that casts religious leaders in a positive light. So even though I haven't seen the movie, it is no surprise they treat both sides this way.</font>
Old 05-15-2005, 06:28 PM   #6
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

That's undoubtably true, Cerek. Although I have little doubt that in the middle ages, many clerics probably were creepy fanatics. They don't call it the dark ages for nothing.
Old 05-16-2005, 06:01 PM   #7
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer128:
That's undoubtably true, Cerek. Although I have little doubt that in the middle ages, many clerics probably were creepy fanatics. They don't call it the dark ages for nothing.
<font color=plum>And many others were devoted to helping their fellow man. It waxn't called the Dark Ages just because of religion. </font>
Old 05-16-2005, 06:32 PM   #8
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Then there were those holy inquisitors, who loved their fellow man so much they were willing to put them through Trial by Ordeal, so they may die with a pure soul.

Anyway, I really liked the movie, and so did the wife. Very good.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:55 AM   #9
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

I loved the movie too, thought it was great. Regarding the Blacksmith scenario...Ok so this sort of thing crops up a lot, but they played his love of horses through the film, and you could tell he would be a good fighter from the very start, it was just obvious. His "training" didn't last very long, but he certainly got many shots to put it into practice.

I would easily go and watch it again.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:06 PM   #10
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Kingdom of Heaven sucked and here is why:

They made Balian de Ibelin a blacksmith, basically a servant, when in reality he was one of the biggest landowners in the Kingdom of Jerusalem.

They made Raymond de Chatillon a Templar Knight when in reality he was a scoundrel and practically a pirate.

I'm against revisionism.
Djinn Raffo is offline   Reply With Quote