Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2003, 11:25 PM   #1
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Rain drizzled out from the clouds in the Gael Serran as Missy Hissy swam through the enchanted sea. She had taken her boat out several times, but found it sluggish to respond, and discovered she could move faster by simply swimming in the buoyant waters. She headed off east from Brimloch Roon, past where she had seen the leprechaun to his death, and then north. She encountered numerous sharks, crabs, and other sea creatures along the way, mere annoyances to slow her progress ever so slightly.

Openings in the thick brush which lined the sides of the sea were few and far between. She checked out each one she came to, disturbing the occasional raptor and once scuttling a turtle nest. The turtles had all hatched, though, so she was unable to bring any eggs back. As a food, turtle eggs were quite the delicacy, according to the innkeeper in Brimloch Roon.

She found a rough path that led to a vine-covered statue, and soon realized it was the fountain of Isis she had been looking for. Sadly, its water no longer ran sweet, but she marked the spot for Malakai at the temple.

Turning far north, she spied a sandy beach, and upon advancing, saw an old, withered tree in the distance. As she moved forward, the hairs on the back of her neck prickled. Something wasn’t what it seemed, and she looked around for a raptor or some other beast. As she glanced back toward the bay she had left, a sudden voice caused her to jump into the air.

“Greetings.”

She whirled around, dagger in hand, to discover she was listening to the old tree. Noting that it didn’t appear to be able to move, she relaxed slightly and responded back, feeling a little silly talking to a piece of wood. “Hello.”

“I am Oakenmir, guardian of the forests. It is rare that someone comes around here. What brings you to these parts?”

Missy looked, trying to identify what part of the tree she should be talking to. “I’m looking for something,” she said. “A shrine, and a living tree.”

“We have many shrines here,” replied Oakenmir. “To Isis, to Anephas, to Aquata… they are many. Goddesses, gods, demigods… they are all respected. Not so the trees, though. The forests are ignored, considered callously by all who pass. Yet few who pass realize that the forest is more alive than they think.”

Alive! It suddenly struck Missy that she was talking to a living tree… the kind Sebastio was looking for. “Speaking of trees,” said Missy, “do you know where I might find some tree seeds?”

“Worry not about that,” said Oakenmir. “Seeds are the promise of life. I knew life once, back when I was a guardian of the Mavin. She of the water threatened me with fire unless I renounced my guardianship. I refused, and we battled for days. The sands around you were once lush with greenery; I am all that remains. And within a few centuries, all will be back where it was.”

“You renounced the guardianship?”

“Aye, I gave it up to her and her fire-breathing pet. Little good it did me, and she swore that she would continue my charge, that her pet would serve as guardian. All I have left now is time and patience… patience and time… and one last seed to start the spawning of a new generation. In another century, it will be ready to germinate. One can’t rush these things.”

Missy eyed the tree carefully. “Might I borrow that seed for a bit?” she asked. “Or can you tell me where I might find another?”

Oakenmir’s branches rustled with fury. “Borrow my seed? Would you lend your arm to another, waiting patiently for its return? Never have I heard such perfidious talk, not since she came to take my charge. Perhaps you should go, before I become angry.”

“Peace, Grandfather,” said Missy. “I meant no disrespect. Tell me more of she who took your charge. You mean the one to whom you gave the guardianship?”

“Yes, her,” replied Oakenmir, his branches rustling less angrily. “She of the water and air, she who saved and damned a city. It is because of her I have only one seed left. She insisted I was too old and feeble to fulfill my duties, and when I protested, brought the fourth element to bear against me. Water and air I can withstand, and earth is one with me, but fire… such terrible fires rained down from the heavens that my bark was horribly burned. I have been unable to bear fruit since then, and for decades, I wept. Two thousand years of nurturing and raising seeds, and to lose them in a week… it was horrid.

“Then, some two centuries ago, I discovered a seed that had somehow been protected from the ravaging fire. I have kept it carefully, exposing it to the warming sun and the nourishing rains. I have watched it grow, and it continues to expand. In another span, it will start to dry out, preparing its hard casing for the opening of new life.”

Missy felt strange. She had a mission, to recover a seed, but at what cost? The cost of ending a species? The peace she had been feeling since her first zenmaster training was wearing away, replaced by the hollow reactionless thoughts of the assassin. As she looked at the tree in the late afternoon sun, she thought she caught a glimpse of the seed.

Guilt began to creep over her at the thought of crushing the dreams of the once-proud tree, and then she began to think of what she had lost. “I think I know of her who caused you this grief,” said Missy. “I too am seeking her, and I would deliver retribution to her.”

“You?” said Oakenmir. “What would you have to do with the waterbird?”

“This,” said Missy, showing the black pearl ring. “Is this the one who harmed you?”

Oakenmir’s branches pulled back. “It is she! It is she! I thought never to see her again, and you have brought her image before me. This I do not like…”

“She stole your future,” said Missy. “She stole my past, and perhaps my future. I wish her nothing but harm and death, and if I can mete out justice on your behalf, I would be honored to do so.”

“Though I have long passed mortal need,” said Oakenmir, “I am still angry for the death she has caused. She slew my children, and I would see her pay a penance. What do you need from me to make her suffer?”

“Though it grieves me,” said Missy, “I believe that your last seed may help me to find her. I have been quested to find a seed from the living tree, and you are the most living tree I have ever encountered.”

Oakenmir rustled long and hard in the still air of the Gael Serran night, now lit by the waning moon. “What— what would you need my last child for?”

Missy swallowed. “Sebastio is doing work of some sort where he requires the seed. I do not know the nature of the work, but I can promise you that I will perish before I allow harm to come to your seed, and that if at all possible, I will bring your seed back. I have served as a ranger, learning the needs and will of the forest, and I desire that the forest continue to thrive.”

Oakenmir paused for a long time. The sun started to wake up in the east before he finally spoke again. “Great is my love for my child, and great is my hatred for she who did this to me. I have watched Sebastio for many years, and I have seen the works he has done. I also sense the love of nature within you. Though it pains me, I will grant you this gift, I will loan you my soul and my future. Be sure that you bring it back, or I will rob you of your present as well.”

A branch slowly uncurled, green with newness of life and festooned with a single solitary leaf. Hanging under it was a large seed with the image of a face in its shell.

“Take this. Pull gently, and you will not damage me. Take it to Sebastio, and find she who steals the future.”

Missy accepted the seed and tucked it carefully into her pack. “I will treat it and you with all honor and dignity,” she said.

Oakenmir, having let go his last seed, seemed to visibly droop. “For centuries, I feared I was at the end. Now I know it… and to help you track her down, I will tell you this. After she wrested fire onto me and took away my charge, I returned the favor, calling in the powers of earth to take away her demesne. I could not remove the water which gave her nourishment nor the air which gave her life, but I could take away that which was dear to her. I called upon the mountains to rise and the lands to fall, and buried her precious city beneath the waves of the sea. No one has seen it since, and that area has become known as the Lost Sea. I will open it for you, but it will not be easy. You must go through Anephas’ Shrine to get to her city; perhaps there, you may find her.”

“I will do this,” said Missy. “No matter what happens, you shall be avenged, should it take my last mortal breath.”

“Then leave me,” said Oakenmir. “Leave an old tree to his sadness and reminiscing, while I count the centuries until I too shall pass.”

Missy silently retreated from the glade, thoughts of her un-named opponent filling her head as she retreated to Brimloch Roon to fulfill her quests and start anew.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 08:27 AM   #2
WillowIX
Apophis

YAY! [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img] Finally! We've been waiting for this a long time. [img]smile.gif[/img] And the mysteries continues. Way to go Bungleau. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] When's chapter 27 due?
WillowIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 02:09 PM   #3
macoati
Manshoon

My, my... a truly encompassing and character delving episode. Well done, B!

Dare I ask... more, please?
Old 06-14-2003, 06:06 PM   #4
bsftcs
Red Dragon

Sob, sob, sob... Touching. [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]

I would have thought the all-wise tree would be able to give Missy Hissy the information on how to tree surf over to the bark horrors instead of having to part with his last seed. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Another good chapter. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 06-15-2003, 01:09 PM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

EXCELLENT!!!!!

What a nice exchange between Missy Hissy and Oakenmir!!!
I do love that old tree!!

Wyv