Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 07-02-2002, 08:13 AM   #1
A1C_Dark-Void
Dungeon Master

Which do you people like better? The backstab or the Sneak attack.

Personaly I liked the backstab in a paper and pencil RPG, you can do so much more with it. But the sneak attack is great on computer games. I cant decide between the two.
Old 07-02-2002, 08:21 AM   #2
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by A1C_Dark-Void:
Which do you people like better? The backstab or the Sneak attack.

Personaly I liked the backstab in a paper and pencil RPG, you can do so much more with it. But the sneak attack is great on computer games. I cant decide between the two.
Er??
What can you do with backstab that you canīt do with sneak attack?
Sneak attack applies in more situations then backstab.
Just some thoughts here..

Donīt eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 08:27 AM   #3
A1C_Dark-Void
Dungeon Master

Depends, paper and pencil or game wise.

BG 2 ToB the backstab would allow a multiplier, it wouldnt multiply any additional damage only the base damage of the weapon itself. BUT, if you used it against a mage it allowed for a random event table role (more often seen if the mage is wild.), later on when it was changed to "sneak attack" this option was gotten rid of.

In a paper and pencil game the backstab could be used as a called shot roll. Take -4 on the attack (if a general area, -8 for limbs, -12 for head/death shot save vs death or die) the sneak attack you cant. Your right in the game BG vs NWN there really is no difference, in fact the sneak attack is by far the better (I think).
Old 07-02-2002, 08:35 AM   #4
WOLFGIR

Quote:
Depends, paper and pencil or game wise.

BG 2 ToB the backstab would allow a multiplier, it wouldnt multiply any additional damage only the base damage of the weapon itself. BUT, if you used it against a mage it allowed for a random event table role (more often seen if the mage is wild.), later on when it was changed to "sneak attack" this option was gotten rid of.

In a paper and pencil game the backstab could be used as a called shot roll. Take -4 on the attack (if a general area, -8 for limbs, -12 for head/death shot save vs death or die) the sneak attack you cant. Your right in the game BG vs NWN there really is no difference, in fact the sneak attack is by far the better (I think).
Well you donīt have that thng with wildmages anymore in the 3:ed, but now you can use it for hamstring attakcs, and special attacks as well, just check the song and silence for some optional variations that is quite nifty. For a CRPG, you miss out alot of the goodies fropm PnP games!

Old 07-02-2002, 08:38 AM   #5
A1C_Dark-Void
Dungeon Master

Yeah guess so. Well I guess it all depends on which version of DnD you go off of I guess. I am a bit to old fationd I think, I am stuck with AdnD 2nd Addition... spent to much time on it to give it away to a new addition... mabye in a few months that will change.

-----------------------------------------

Whats wrong with the yellow snow... its just flavoured!
Old 07-02-2002, 09:14 AM   #6
WOLFGIR

Quote:
Yeah guess so. Well I guess it all depends on which version of DnD you go off of I guess. I am a bit to old fationd I think, I am stuck with AdnD 2nd Addition... spent to much time on it to give it away to a new addition... mabye in a few months that will change.

-----------------------------------------

Whats wrong with the yellow snow... its just flavoured!
Depends on what you drank to make it yellow

ANd regarding games, they are for the fun of it! And you never know!

Old 07-02-2002, 09:16 AM   #7
A1C_Dark-Void
Dungeon Master

Well... could be lemon drops... or could be doggy stuff...