Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 11-14-2002, 04:45 AM   #1
Sio

Hi all!
I just got this game yesterday and I made my first party. I was wondering if you's could give it a summary, its strenghts, weaknesses etc, and maybe suggest aboyut replacing some of them.
I havent played that far into it so starting over from the star isnt an incoveniance.
Here it is:

1.Pingu - Fighter (Human)
2.Sonic - Ranger (Half-Elf)
3.Aegidius - Evoker (DROW)
4.Rachel Barris - Ranger (Wild-Elf)
5.Jo Young - Barbarian (Human)
6.Jen Hannah - Ranger (Half-Elf)

I have the 3 rangers cause I think that long range fighting is best, as opposed to face to face conflict.
Maybe 3 is too much? and another magic user should be put in?
Please help summarise this party as it is my first and im not really experianced in IWD2
Thanks
Old 11-14-2002, 06:06 AM   #2
RedballUK
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Not that I'm an expert on this by any length, but I think that the use of 3 rangers may be overkill. I'd probably drop one in favour of a Cleric/Druid for some healing/extra spells (+ missile - slings?) and drop another ranger for a rogue (or at least multi class with a rogue). Rogues can be equally effective with missile fire, get there sneak attacks (if you weant to play that on occasion) some interesting feats/skills and more importantly give some variation. I think I'd personally get tired of having 3 VERY similar characters and it may restrict equipment choices later.

Having said all that, I haven't even started the game yet and have spent 3 days trying to create a party myself!
RedballUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 06:09 AM   #3
Sio

Ahh right, cool thanks for the tips! I was thinking that maybe 3 rangers was over the top like
Anyone else got some suggestions?
Oh and welcome to IW RedBall!! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2002, 06:28 AM   #4
Warhammer
Baaz Draconian

Get a cleric! Having a healer is a most. If he is elven he will be proficient with a bow (and large swords) for free.

Rangers in IWD2 are not really bow experts but rather 2-weapon-fighting drizzt-wannabees. DEX maxed Fighters make better ranged fighters in the long haul.

I've played through the game 2.5 times and am impressed with the druid, he's good at healing, and offensive magic (without armor arcane failure) and even decent with a weapon if given the right feats.

My 2 cents.
Old 11-14-2002, 07:49 AM   #5
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

A good formula for party composition came out of the "Green Lantern" party guide, where it basically suggests something like this:

2 Tanks
1 Healer
1 Leader
1 Sneaker
1 Nuker-type caster

You can have characters who fill more than one role (for example, I have a rogue who is also my leader). If you can fill at least those slots, then with any free ones, basically pick whatever you want.

So I agree, a Cleric would help alot as you don't have a dedicated healer. Rangers can be tanks and decent sneakers too, and I like them, even though they might have gotten a little underpowered in IWD II, but 3 is alot [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2002, 08:03 AM   #6
Kygon-Jo
Dungeon Master

I am a ranger fan also.The rangers in BG2 were much stronger and they had the cool kits. I must admit My ranger was only a so so tank but i stick with what I enjoy playing. My dwarf fighter turned out to be the best tank.

From My experience you need a healer. As you progress in the game you will see. Suffice it to say without my high level cleric of lathander I would not be able to finish.

If you do not put a rogue in your party make sure you get the spells KNOCK and FINDTRAPS. And give your character with the highest INT lots of Disable Trap skill points. If you do add a rogue then ignore this paragraph.

BTW I had a Halfling rogue in normal mode and Tiefling rogue currently in HOF mode. Both have been valuble to me.

Just Remember what ever party you choose have fun. Pick characters and classes that you enjoy playing. You should be able to go far with almost any combo.

Hope I helped.
Kygon-Jo the neutral good Ranger [img]smile.gif[/img]
Kygon-Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 08:10 AM   #7
Warhammer
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Gimli:
A good formula for party composition came out of the "Green Lantern" party guide, where it basically suggests something like this:

2 Tanks
1 Healer
1 Leader
1 Sneaker
1 Nuker-type caster

My 6-drow party would be
6 Tanks
2 Healers
1 Leader
0 Sneaker
2 Nukers

Even the wizard turned out to be a great tank in late normal mode early HoF mode.
Tensers Transformation + Trollish Fortitude + Mirror Image + ... = [img]graemlins/knightsmile.gif[/img]

[ 11-14-2002, 08:11 AM: Message edited by: Warhammer ]
Old 11-14-2002, 08:16 AM   #8
Vassago
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Sio:
1.Pingu - Fighter (Human)
2.Sonic - Ranger (Half-Elf)
3.Aegidius - Evoker (DROW)
4.Rachel Barris - Ranger (Wild-Elf)
5.Jo Young - Barbarian (Human)
6.Jen Hannah - Ranger (Half-Elf)
I would suggest dropping 2 of the Rangers, pick up a Druid. Druids rock! They get heal spells as well as summoning and the ablility to shapeshift. You might want to consider changing your barb to a Half-Orc to get the added +2 to strength. As for your 6th character, I would recommend a Rogue, Rogue/Fighter or Rogue/Ranger. I am playing a Rogue/Fighter right now. He is becoming quite the tank and a good leader due to his int. I've got him setup w/ Amberdexterity, Two-Weapon Fighting and Weapon Finesse. I'm looking forward to finishing out his proficiency w/ small blades. I am progressing him as follows:
2 Rogue levels
4 Fighter levels
8 Rogue levels
then rest as Fighter.
I want the first 2 levels to be Rogue b/c Rogue level 2 you get evade. Also, b/c my Rogue is a strongheart halfling, I got an extra feat when creating him so I was able to take Amberdexterity & Two-Weapon Fighting right off the bat.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:41 AM   #9
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Here's something new...( well maybe not ). you can let your evoker carry bow. why? because when he finish all his spell. he just stand there doing nothing. so might as well you give him a bow.

cleric is virtually a must. you will eventually come into situation where you tanker is shouting for medic. also give him a bow so that he will help out in the killing.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 11:05 AM   #10
Sio

Great! thanks for the replies all, im gonna go make my party on the suggestions you's made and I'll get back to you when I have sorted it out (gonna do it this instant)
Thanks again all! been a great help [img]smile.gif[/img]