Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2002, 06:15 PM   #11
Lord Corwin
The Magister

I`ve kinda liked being able to throw some Armor on my mage and my sorcerer.

With Armored Arcana and such... I havn`t had ANY spell failures. Or any lack of feats or skills...

Finally I have some magic users that don`t get there ass kicked every time a critter gets to close to them...

I`m almost done with the game... and didn`t run into any problems at all....
Old 11-14-2002, 02:54 AM   #12
Callum Kerr
Drizzt Do'Urden

Same here, the first feats my mages get are ALWAYS armoured arcana. I've found that my mages are usually targeted anyway, so I NEED protection. Just my way of playing i guess
[img]\"http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwARAyMWqyivmPQQNWY0hVVRv3oUvlvq5uMcEd3!RZut55dm8 emNqpdvpE7IkB0Cpa1ykaC4MbaPQTDKfXyfz!1y5xDqyJez01d EkyCZjmc/Callum.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Puff the magic dragon!
Callum Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 12:43 PM   #13
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Strange. My mages have not had many problems with being targeted by the enemy, except in cases like the Hook Horror cave, where you're often surrounded by the critters (of course, by then, my mages go in with invis, so it's no trouble).

Maybe it's party formation? I almost always use the 2 by 2 arrangement, with mages in the rear. It's worked well for me in all modes of play.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 10:10 PM   #14
White Lancer
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightowl2:
Enchantment spells are mostly of the charm/dominate type. I don't bother with these in normal modes, but they have been quite helpful in HOF mode (along with summonings).

Evocation is mainly for damage spells, such as fireball, delayed blast fireball, Melf's Acid Arrow, Meteor Swarm, Lightning Bolt, etc.

Necromancy is for things like Horror, Skull Trap, Flaying, Horrid Wilting, etc.

The annoying alphabetic list of spells does tell you to which branch of magic each spell belongs.

Nightowl2
Just a note, melf's acid arrow is conjuration. If you want to know which type of spells you use most, just go to your spell book, right click on the spells you are using, and take a look.
It deons\'t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, it olny mtaetrs taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be croecrt. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it. The huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
White Lancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 10:43 PM   #15
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Callum Kerr:
Same here, the first feats my mages get are ALWAYS armoured arcana. I've found that my mages are usually targeted anyway, so I NEED protection. Just my way of playing i guess
I never used armored arcane. I tend tohave my mages start out with 18 or better dext, then use bracers, rings and robes to protect me.

I tried giving an armor to my mage, to see how he would do with one, but he fell to the ground.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:58 PM   #16
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

I agree with Luvian. (GASP!) I have suits of armor that my Sorcerers could LIVE in. But I dont think they would like the smell of Half Orc. Besides thats what bracers and amulets were MADE for. And who wants to wear anything but robes when they raise your stats so much. I had a robe that raise Cha and Int by 4 EACH. I wouldnt trade that for ANY armor. Besides being invisible (even post patch) is the best armor an Arcane Spellcaster could ask for. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2002, 11:08 PM   #17
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

I agree with the not bothering to use a suit of armor, but think a small shield would still be cool - and it only has a 5% spell failure chance, so one level of armored arcana would cancel it out. For those times your mage does get pounced on in melee, it couldn't hurt.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:58 PM   #18
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

Somewhere within the game are a couple of suits of drow armour...
VERY nice stuff. AC +8 or +9, -0 to dex bonus and 0% casting failure!
MasterPooBaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 12:07 AM   #19
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Yeah, I had a mental slip there; the acid arrow is a conjuration.

The only drow armor normally in the game is Drakkas Chain, but you don't get that until you're in the Severed Hand. Quite nice for either a mage or a thief, since no proficiency is required. If you add Ribald from the Ease of Use mod, a similar suit is available (if you can afford it) at the start of the game.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote