Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 11-08-2002, 06:11 PM   #1
theking
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I am playing IWD straight up and was doing just fine untill I got to the last battle. I have been absolutly toasted at least 15 times when fighting. please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-08-2002, 10:23 PM   #2
Peytin of Rothmire
Manshoon

Welcome King and congratulations on making it this far in the game without having to use this forum!!!

I'm assuming you're using the usual buffs: prot from evil, courage, emotion, speed etc. Also any potions you can get your hands on.
Belhifat has high fire, cold and acid resistances so those type items won't do much damage. You also will need +3 or better weapons to hit (I think!). You should also increase your fire resistance on as many characters as you can.
Have your thief concentrate on detecting and removing traps as, if I remember correctly, they are dispel magic traps!
Finally concentrate on Belhifat and ignore the others. The exp points you'll get from them won't matter as the game will be over as soon as you defeat Belhifat anyway. You don't have to kill everybody.
Hope some of this helps.

When you do finish, go get Heart of Winter!

[ 11-08-2002, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Peytin of Rothmire ]
Peytin of Rothmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 07:33 PM   #3
ElvenPrincess567
Elite Waterdeep Guard

but what about the iron Giants? those bozos killed me every time i got close to killing behemus ( er whats his name)
Old 11-12-2002, 03:44 PM   #4
TheGrandSlayer
Red Wizard of Thay

What I do is,send three fighters (Or best fighters) to take on Belhifet,and have your weaker people (Mages) distract the golums,it worked for me
Old 11-12-2002, 06:28 PM   #5
Peytin of Rothmire
Manshoon

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

If you are lucky you will still have Conlan's hammer(which you get pretty early in the game). It is +5 to hit Iron Golems only. Give it to the character who has the most prof points in hammers. Also try summoned creatures to distract the golems. Or do as Grandslayer suggested and use your weaker characters on the golems. Try to get them to chase those characters while your fighters work on Belhifat. As far as I'm aware, if you choose to continue the game in the expansion, your party will be loaded as is pre-battle. That means anyone that dies while fighting Belhifat will be alive if you choose to continue your party into HOW. The downside is they won't have the exp they would have gotten from defeating the golems or Belhifat.
And most importantly don't forget, this battle is supposed to be HARD. It is the end of the game afterall.

[ 11-12-2002, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: Peytin of Rothmire ]
Peytin of Rothmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 10:46 PM   #6
Gammit
Elminster

I also found that Bel would cast "Dispel Magic" on me the moment the conversation ended. So, I stopped casting my spells until the fight began.
Old 11-14-2002, 01:48 PM   #7
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Peytin of Rothmire:
[QB]-
The downside is they won't have the exp they would have gotten from defeating the golems or Belhifat.
QB]
Plus, they will lose all their equipment if they die. Which can be a little rough starting out in the expansion.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 07:15 PM   #8
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

I can't remember whether the dispels are traps in the room, or cast by Belifhet itself - Belifhet I think. Either way, it makes buffing a trifle hard to do. There are traps in the room (traps galore really) which makes running around difficult, limiting manœuvrability severely. If you don't want to set them off, you'll have precious little of the map to move about on. Also, the Iron Golems tend to concentrate on your predominent spell-caster, so you should get stoneskin up ASAP. You can ignore the golems completely, if you concentrate on Belifhet, and finish it off without touching the golems.
Old 11-15-2002, 07:53 PM   #9
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Belifhet only cast the first dispel Lord Brass, and he cast he as soon as his long winded speech is over. This makes it useless to cast protective magic, and buffing up your characters before heading down to the final battle.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 08:01 AM   #10
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

That is what I was saying. However, you do have some time to get some spells up if you plan it correctly. Wait for the long-winded one to finish casting his dispel, and then set them up. Your mage is the primary target of the golems (at least) so that character has to be defended. If you have the party line up set as usual, your mage will be in the middle or at the back. Your fighters concentrate on Belifhet, your bard on the War Chant, the cleric healing as appropriate, your thief...depends on class, and the mage looks after his/herself first, and the party second.

Oh, of course, the druid gets those static charges back up.

[ 11-16-2002, 08:03 AM: Message edited by: Lord Brass ]