Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2001, 11:44 PM   #1
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

I wonder if ToB adds only 1 dungeon and 1 new class? Or is it totaly a new chapter for the game? (like chapter 8,9,10 etc) ToB is being played in the same land? (I mean Athlanka -Amn-) or a new place? is there any new towns etc can anybody write satisfying info about ToB?

*and what's the difference to install ToB when you completed the game and to install during chapter 2.
Old 08-27-2001, 11:59 PM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

SPOILER:
>
>
>
>
>
>
TOB adds 3 new chapters (yes, 8,9, AND 10), one new dungeon (accessible in both SoA and ToB), new abilities, one new class, new magical items/and upgrades ... etc. However, you WILL NOT be able to access the Shadow of Amns area (except Watcher's Keep) when you are in ToB. ToB basically takes place in an entirely different map, there will be several towns/enclaves that you will gain access to as you progress in the game.

Since ToB is the continuation of the story of SoA, it will not affect your game whether you install it when you have completed your game or when you are in Chp 2.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 08-28-2001, 12:08 AM   #3
Madrigan
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Many things are added into ToB : It comes in chapter, that I know of, but you won't be able to return to Amn ( yeah I know...) But, what you gain is a stronghold of some sort ( I won't tell you what or where ! ) And the story continue in the land of Thetyr, deeper south from Amn. Small towns/dungeon are added but nothing much compares to Watcher's Keep in size, depth of play and intrigue. That's about it. I don't really know more, ok, a little except that the story seems great and the ending satisfying ! I installed the game a while ago but since it was a long time since I played BG2 and that I had missed many quest and items, I decided to restart from the beginning. I only took a peek to see what was in the game and I can't wait to play it !

As for the changes made when you install ToB on an ongoing BG2 game, nothing much except the Wonderful TAB button that let you see hidden/dropped stash on the map, Watcher's Keep that you can access from anytime in chap 2,3 and 6 and that's about it I think. May be someone else got to see some new change but I didn't notice. Oh, one more thing, It's not a spoiler but a helpful tips : Immediatly go to Watcher's Keep. Why ? Because once you're there, you'll have the option of doing the quest or not ( which I suggest you don't, not when your perfect party isn't formed. reason: LOT'S of exp point awarded, not to be waisted on Yoshimo or some char that won't make the rest of the story ) but because someone will sell you a bag of potion ! This is a real time saver if you are the type of person to stack up on potions. it takes one slot in your inventory space and it carries a LOt of potion ! I hope I didn't tell you too much but just let me tell you that you won't regret it !
Old 08-28-2001, 12:09 AM   #4
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

What about watchers keep? THis keep is in Amn right? -so you mean I wont be able to travel it cos the game is not in amn?- So If I install it I'll have a bonus dungeon? nice!
Old 08-28-2001, 12:38 AM   #5
Greystone
The Magister

I just bought BGII: SoA & ToB today (have not received yet, however) and wondered about this: are there any patches out there for BGII:SoA, and if so, does ToB correct the problems or do I need to apply the patches first then ToB or what order?

Thanks!

--Greystone
Old 08-28-2001, 01:32 AM   #6
Bain
Elite Waterdeep Guard

what is the new classs like in tob?
Old 08-28-2001, 04:54 AM   #7
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

Watcher's Keep is accessible both in SoA and in ToB. It appears in both world maps, although you can't travel to Tethyr (I think that's the region in ToB) to Amn and vice versa. You can start the quests in WK in SoA, finish SoA, transit to ToB, and carry on from where you left off at WK, although you still can't return to Amn.
ToB adds a new mage class - Wild mage. Lots of cool weapons AND mundane stuff that makes your inventory management less of a hassle, like the potion case. My characters were lugging lots of bottles, taking up inventory sapce. Now all potions are kept in the case, much better. I also heard that there are ammo belts, etc. But you can only get these in ToB proper.
ToB also adds new abilites for various classes and new spells for priests and mages.
But you should install ToB even if you just started SoA because the exp cap is raised to 8 mil. If you do every quest you can in SoA, you'll hit the original exp cap of 2.95 mil beofre the final battle.

------------------
"Butt-kicking for goodness!" - Minsc
"Cities always teem with evil and decay. Let's give it a good shake and SEE WHAT FALLS OUT!!" - Minsc
Old 08-28-2001, 05:21 AM   #8
IrishHound
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Greystone:
I just bought BGII: SoA & ToB today (have not received yet, however) and wondered about this: are there any patches out there for BGII:SoA, and if so, does ToB correct the problems or do I need to apply the patches first then ToB or what order?

Thanks!

--Greystone

Greystone, all you need to fetch is the new 'TOB' patch, don't worry about the previous ones. Go to http://www.bioware.com

------------------
" When I read about the evils of drinking, I quit reading "