Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2001, 10:54 PM   #11
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

quote:
Originally posted by SSJ4Sephiroth:
it means that they've become public knowledge now, and due to the replay option more people are utilizing it that before. but it matters not to me, because i can always piss them off with a nuke/drop combo

i dont know the nuke rush order (well its not exactly a rush, as i beef before i get there) but i can cut/paste a double nuke rush, if you wish.

that rush is very bizzare

again, common knowledge doesnt win all the time. I've seen many bizzare strategies (mainly watching games played by good players on lost temple)

the rush involes a bunker placed behind several well placed buildings, then go straight for second command center while climbing tech tree. (I think) it doesnt take too long to get a two drop ships with several ghosts. the rest is just keep pumping marines (doesnt cost gas) and nukes

forgot how they did it. but good players don't always rely on mass productions (not always)

your nuke/drop sound fun, I'd like to play with you sometimes [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2001, 11:00 PM   #12
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

hee, id have to get re-used to SC after so much AoEII and BW, but i can adapt...

ive done a bunker rush once... pissed the person i did it on SOOO much! never even saw it coming... then i moved in with marines and firebats to crush all resistance ! he's now my favorite AoEII bash person...

and a nuke/drop is fun, if supported properly!
Old 11-28-2001, 11:40 PM   #13
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Actually, the very BEST thing about Nuking is doing it so it DOESN'T leave the red dot. I know how--do you? [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img] But pulling a nuke on an attacking force--that was great, man! I once Nuked a Nexus, and the stupid computer AI thought, "Oh, my Nexus is under attack. I'd better send some reinforcements." So my Ghost, who was in the process of dropping the SECOND nuke in order to take out the Nexus, also got to watch a few Zealots & Dragoons, 2 Templars, and a Carrier bite the dust as well. Now THAT'S what I call a good return on my investment.

I usually don't Nuke, though--Battlecruisers rule the day, even without Wraith support. (I tend to prefer Wraiths to Valkyries.) When I've got 12 Battlecruisers together, I don't even CARE how many Scourges or Carriers you have. [img]smile.gif[/img]

And I just LOVE doing things like casting Irradiate on Defilers. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2001, 11:44 PM   #14
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

i love using Vessels to piss off other races, thats the bottom line! EMP, Irradiate, Defensive Matrix... its just so good killing them! i often get into huge debates over who would win between 80 dragoons with 10 observers in support and 80 goliaths with 10 vessels in support. guess who always wins those debates?

how would you use it to where the dot is hidden? tell me, please?
Old 11-28-2001, 11:51 PM   #15
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

if you watch all the games played in competition, no one really builds that much army. the combination of expansion control, unit control, scout and speed matters

dropping nuke with out dot, do you mean center it on the building? well, that is hard to discover, but it really matters very little. I prefer to launch three nukes at different places at same time. one of them got to set off

also there is another nuking strategy, use two ghosts and have them nuke the army in two circles that overlap 1/4 of each other. this covers a huge area, and normally take out most of the defense
Old 11-29-2001, 02:26 AM   #16
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Hm... sounds cruel.
And, I must say, I do not know any tactics that work against a perfect tank creep. Enough siege tanks, with good goliath and scout vessel support... you're dead. Anyone know a good tactic against that, because all the ones I've seen failed miserably.
Also, I still love reaver-pop, if used right it can drive the enemy so mad... toss player here, but I don't play on Bnet. Not good enough *utter newbie alert* although I've watched quite a few games *all BGH players must die... *
Old 11-29-2001, 03:20 AM   #17
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

zerg vs terran

now, I am only talking about what a good player would do gainst a good player. generally, a good player does a lot scouting and trys to control as much expansion as best to fit his strategy

there are numerous ways a zerg player can stop early tanks attack.

one is to grab the nearest expasion that'd cover the entrance to your base.. then build an early second base. and near the entrance to the expansion, build a third base. then build suken colonies around (behind) that base. build as many as up to 8 sunken colonies (dont put them too close, generally spread them out)

when a terran player brings tanks + marines to attack you (they cannot build too much goliaths early on) you'd already begin to build your mutalisks

by the time they killed the first couple sunkens (they wont send marines in, because 8 suken coloines will kill marines VERY fast) you are already producing mutas (provide your building order is correct) and when you have about 6 or so mutas, send them to attack the tanks. watch out though, this is when unit control come into play. you must predict and attack just in time when the seige tanks change shape. then pull back before he sends his marines after you. go around the marines, and attack the singled outed tanks (there will always be single outed ones as long as he moves his tanks) and what you should do at the same time, is to upgrade your muta, and get guardians. once those guys come out, not even goliaths can stop you

note: if the terran is VERY good, they will be able to take out many sunken colonies. you can build more as needed

also, if the terran concentrate on building tanks, you will be able to guardian rush him way before he could do damage to you (you have two exapnsions also)

watch out for drop (thats why you need to scout often)

a general way to fight terrains

constantly watch out for terrain units. if you see armies moving, then send your troops to attack. group your troops before encouter, then send them in.

terrain has a very big disadvantage is, whenever they encounter enemies AND have seige tanks, they must pull back and regroup. SUCK big time when one is ambushed
Old 11-29-2001, 03:23 AM   #18
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

yeah... Zerg rush maybe thhe fastest... but Zealot rushes ensure death for those who doesn't anticipate such a thing... [img]smile.gif[/img]

I like Protoss... all the way [img]smile.gif[/img] and some Zerg too...
Old 11-29-2001, 03:34 AM   #19
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Dark Templar rushes in the beginning can be murder...

With the tank creep, I meant later in the game - it doesn't happen often, because it's difficult to manage and takes a lot of resources. If a Terran player has an army of siege tanks, plus enough goliaths and valkyries (BW unit, air vs air, does area damage, means death for all mutas), as well as scout ships to find any lurkers, dark templars, mines, or other fun cloaked units... there's not a lot you can do. Of course, to be caught in this situation you have to have either played incompetently or the other guy is very good, as a tank creep like that takes loads of resources and time, which the other guy should NOT have if you are attacking him enough.
Old 11-29-2001, 03:44 AM   #20
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

templars are deadly... weeheeheeheehee...

all i know about the terran is... this yamato gun thingee