Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2001, 08:32 AM   #1
Melusine
Dracolisk

My boyfriend just came home from his band rehearsal and he brought a present: PLanescape: Torment!!! Yay! Now I'd like to know what kind of game is it? Will it still be fun after BG2? Is it very similar or are there differences? BTW I miss Tobbin...didn't he have a Torment sig? He would have known these things for sure!
Oh, please DON'T SPOIL ME btw, just let me know what you think of it and maybe some hints for the initial part of the game...but no spoils!
BTW YES, Yorick and Moiraine... I *am* reading the Game Manual as we speak

------------------
Melusine, Archbabe of the OHF and the LH

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 03-19-2001, 08:43 AM   #2
KDogRex
Symbol of Cyric

It's the Infinity engine, like BG, BGII and IWD, but a different style of storytelling. To tell you much of anything would be to give it way, but it's got one of the best stories I've ever experienced in a game. I's got some of hte basics of D&D, but it departs a bit from there, you'll understand as the game goes on. I think you'll like it!

------------------
-Resident Corset Loosener of the OHF
Old 03-19-2001, 08:49 AM   #3
Melusine
Dracolisk

Thanks KdogRex!
Anyone else have an opinion on the game?

------------------

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 03-19-2001, 08:54 AM   #4
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
My boyfriend just came home from his band rehearsal and he brought a present: PLanescape: Torment!!! Yay! Now I'd like to know what kind of game is it? Will it still be fun after BG2? Is it very similar or are there differences? BTW I miss Tobbin...didn't he have a Torment sig? He would have known these things for sure!
Oh, please DON'T SPOIL ME btw, just let me know what you think of it and maybe some hints for the initial part of the game...but no spoils!
BTW YES, Yorick and Moiraine... I *am* reading the Game Manual as we speak

You will love it or hate it.
It is based on the BG engine alright but the interface is somwhat different, rightclicking brings up action menues, you can talk to your friends, and you should do that, often!!
No bows either, it is a brutal hack´n and slash buisness when someone gets inyour way, magic and divine powers are awesome to behold!!! Get ready for a deep and sad story with some humerous glimts and laughs, brutal axewielding fightings, biting your foes and mystical beings and plotting enemies..

i believe that if you give it a true chacem you will like me love it!
The magic is from the planescape world so some things are very different, no magic missliles or melf i can say..

Bye the way, i miss Tobbin too
One hunting partner less.... *bwöähää sob, sniff*

Erhm.. well, turn on your speakers, get ready to become immortal and kick some ass!!

------------------

Do electric wolves dream of electric sheep?
Old 03-19-2001, 08:54 AM   #5
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Hi Melusine,

Hmm, one that I can answer, given that I am just about to finish this game - would have tonight, but email and the forum have taken hold (and I lost a bit of time tonight watching the crick**). I see you have played BG, so you will be very use to the game engine which is a plus. I had come from the first person view W&W, and haven'tplayed BG, so the "god view" took a little getting used to for me.

I think the game is very good and fairly absorbing. There are not a lot of drawbacks to dying though, so you can get a bit carefree with what you choose to take on. Much of your experience is quest driven rather than the "kill monster" type, and stats like intelligence, wisdom and charsma play more of a part in giving you more conversation options. I did get sick of a few too many "run errands" quests, but overall it has been a very enjoyable time. I needed something to kill time while waiting for Wiz 8 - PT has probably taken up 6 weeks or so (yes I work as well). I don't think I will be replaying it in a hurry, but I am not big on replays so I wouldn't be discouraged by that.

I would give it a 7 out of 10 rating I guess - hope you enjoy it.

Regards
Davros
Old 03-19-2001, 09:03 AM   #6
Melusine
Dracolisk

Davros, Wolfie, thanks for your detailed information! Wow sounds fantastic! I can't wait to start my first game

------------------

Your voice is ambrosia
Old 03-19-2001, 09:49 AM   #7
Davros
Takhisis Follower

No problems - glad to help - one question that intrigues me that you could help me with though. Love the pic, and the Archbabe title - but OHF??? and LF??? Hmm - OHF - Oh Help (me) Fairygodmother

Davr
Old 03-19-2001, 10:00 AM   #8
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

OHF Order of the Holy Flamers
LH laughing Hyenas?? What´s this for new group eh??

Hmm, i better come up with something soon too.. gotta start a Howling pack... Naeh, I´m a lonewolf..

And Melusine, glad i could help out

------------------

Do electric wolves dream of electric sheep?
Old 03-19-2001, 10:04 AM   #9
Charlie
Lord Ao

I've got and started this but there is just soooooooo much dialogue to wade through. Mind you I've run out of nearly everything else so it looks like it's back to this game again. Apparently if you stick with it, it's a really good game. Seeing as I value the opinions of the people on this board so much I will try to stick with it, I suggest you do the same Melusine, even if you feel a little bogged down by all the chat.

------------------
One love, peace.
Old 03-19-2001, 10:21 AM   #10
Melusine
Dracolisk

Thanks Charlie, Wolf, DAvros...
yes, OHF is Order of the Holy Flame
and LH is the Laughing Hyenas

------------------

Your voice is ambrosia