Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2003, 02:27 PM   #81
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

No one picks up the subtle hints..
I have no idea what the significance of All Saint's Day is either, but I do know that it's the day after All Hallows Eve.
Old 11-01-2003, 02:32 PM   #82
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

All saints day [img]tongue.gif[/img]

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01315a.htm
Quote:
[The vigil of this feast is popularly called "Hallowe'en" or "Halloween".]

Solemnity celebrated on the first of November. It is instituted to honour all the saints, known and unknown, and, according to Urban IV, to supply any deficiencies in the faithful's celebration of saints' feasts during the year.

In the early days the Christians were accustomed to solemnize the anniversary of a martyr's death for Christ at the place of martyrdom. In the fourth century, neighbouring dioceses began to interchange feasts, to transfer relics, to divide them, and to join in a common feast; as is shown by the invitation of St. Basil of Caesarea (397) to the bishops of the province of Pontus. Frequently groups of martyrs suffered on the same day, which naturally led to a joint commemoration. In the persecution of Diocletian the number of martyrs became so great that a separate day could not be assigned to each. But the Church, feeling that every martyr should be venerated, appointed a common day for all. The first trace of this we find in Antioch on the Sunday after Pentecost. We also find mention of a common day in a sermon of St. Ephrem the Syrian (373), and in the 74th homily of St. John Chrysostom (407). At first only martyrs and St. John the Baptist were honoured by a special day. Other saints were added gradually, and increased in number when a regular process of canonization was established; still, as early as 411 there is in the Chaldean Calendar a "Commemoratio Confessorum" for the Friday after Easter. In the West Boniface IV, 13 May, 609, or 610, consecrated the Pantheon in Rome to the Blessed Virgin and all the martyrs, ordering an anniversary. Gregory III (731-741) consecrated a chapel in the Basilica of St. Peter to all the saints and fixed the anniversary for 1 November. A basilica of the Apostles already existed in Rome, and its dedication was annually remembered on 1 May. Gregory IV (827-844) extended the celebration on 1 November to the entire Church. The vigil seems to have been held as early as the feast itself. The octave was added by Sixtus IV (1471-84).
this is what all saints day is
Old 11-01-2003, 03:52 PM   #83
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

you learn something new every day [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2003, 05:58 PM   #84
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

And the 2nd is All Soul's Day, where were remember and pray for all our dead family and friends. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Well, it has been a lovely weekend here! Much warmer than usual, so my honey got some yard work done and we're about to go watch a movie. Not sure what, though. Last night we rented The Mummy (the newer version, not the original) and at lunch we saw this horrid thing calling itself Dungeons and Dragons, but the acting was so bad I was laughing as people got killed and the bad guy was just SO over the top it was hilarious...I'm sure they picked all the younger actors up on the street, handed them a card with lines and said "here, now you're a movie star".... [img]tongue.gif[/img] ...so uh.. it wasn't the world's best movie! LOL
Old 11-01-2003, 06:51 PM   #85
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
And the 2nd is All Soul's Day, where were remember and pray for all our dead family and friends. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Well, it has been a lovely weekend here! Much warmer than usual, so my honey got some yard work done and we're about to go watch a movie. Not sure what, though. Last night we rented The Mummy (the newer version, not the original) and at lunch we saw this horrid thing calling itself Dungeons and Dragons, but the acting was so bad I was laughing as people got killed and the bad guy was just SO over the top it was hilarious...I'm sure they picked all the younger actors up on the street, handed them a card with lines and said "here, now you're a movie star".... [img]tongue.gif[/img] ...so uh.. it wasn't the world's best movie! LOL
it was funny, I loved it though [img]tongue.gif[/img] and thank the only time I cried, was when the other thief died
Old 11-01-2003, 09:05 PM   #86
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Cloudy, you didn't happen to be watching this D&D movie on TV, did you? Cuz I saw that movie today as well. My bro made the mistake of buying the DVD a while back. I was watching it on either TNT or TBS around 4-4:30 eastern time I think. And yes, the acting was horrible, the storyline was horrible, but the mage girl was kinda cute. Oh yeah, is it just me or does the Empress look like the girl that plays the little sister (Danny) in Hocus Pocus (yet another intriguing movie).

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Old 11-02-2003, 06:22 AM   #87
wellard
Dracolisk

Good morning viet Ironworks

Pours everyone a coffee [img]graemlins/goodmorning.gif[/img] and pours himself a beer [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

How is everyone today?

[ 11-02-2003, 06:26 AM: Message edited by: wellard ]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 11-02-2003, 06:24 AM   #88
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

cheers for the coffee Wellard! Im good today, had a good sleep and ready for the day!
Old 11-02-2003, 06:30 AM   #89
wellard
Dracolisk

I wish i could say the same, a full weekend wasted trying to get a mod to bg1 to play inside the bg2 engine to work. arrrrggggghhhh

Kids and wife ignored as I pounded away at the computer all weekend.... bloody time wasting boxes ....grrrrr

There I feel better now [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 11-02-2003, 06:38 AM   #90
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

you wouldnt be talking about bgt would you?