Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2002, 11:44 AM   #1
ratchild
Manshoon

Just wondering what most people are choosing for the sorceress spells's list. I've gone with magic missile (in order to assault the darkness properly), sleep (way more effective early on than i thought) Melfs arrow at 2nd level... fireball and haste for 3rd, stoneskin for 4th, cloudkill for 5th...
Old 09-13-2002, 12:33 PM   #2
kirdie
Elite Waterdeep Guard

you mean wizard

1st: sleep, m.missile, chromatic orb! (stunns the enemy at certain levels is good as escape if a meelee is near your mage)
2st: melfs acid arrow
3st: of course fireball, haste, melfs minute meteor!! my wizard has 20dex and its amazing... by by trolls
kirdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 01:39 PM   #3
flibulzbuth
Drow Warrior

Excellent topic!
I'm playing a with a sorcerer for the first time, and it's also my first time with 3E. Please include them in the order you selected them.

1: magic missile/identify/charm/chromatic orb...
...identify is useless because of my high-int wizard. sleep would have been better than charm.

2: melf acid arrow/web/A.'s scorcher/snilloc snowball swarm

3: minute meteor/fireball/haste

4: vitrolic sphere/ice storm(?)

5: ball lightning

I'm currently lvl 10 and focus on evocation. It's role in the party is to mass murder. My wiz is focusing on enchantment and my cleric provides the buffs.
Old 09-13-2002, 03:28 PM   #4
ratchild
Manshoon

I chose magic missile and sleep first off, and sleep is definitely worth it, though i never use it anymore (lvl 10 now). the only lvl 1 spells i use anymore are MM, and flaming hands (to finish off trolls). for 2nd level i picked acid arrow first, because the continuous damage can interrupt casters, and the dmg itself is pretty decent. i took web later on, but haven't used it yet. 3rd level started with fireball, and it's still my most used spell. 4th, first thing was stoneskin, which was restored to it's previous functionality similar to NWN... as opposed to BG1 and 2, where it was self only. 5th level spells, i got cloudkill, though i haven't used it to effect yet. wondering if i should have gone with a summon, as this is where they start to get useful for the wizard spells.
Old 09-13-2002, 05:46 PM   #5
flibulzbuth
Drow Warrior

You don't use web?!? it's one of my favorite.
web + cloudkill (+ fireball) is pretty devastating. Cast web in a chokepoint to slow monsters progression toward your group and pick them one by one as they unglue.

Summons are good, especially those that upgrade with level (ie. summon undead), but they are slow casting and sometimes cleric or druids get the same at lower level. The first round is determining, and both area of effect spells and summons should be cast at the very begining, i prefer AoE.