Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 09-13-2002, 03:41 PM   #1
ryaldin
Elminster

SPIOLER*****DON'T READ FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

I wanna solo through ID but i'm not sure that i can make it through the way i want to. I was thinking, from a roleplaying stance, that it would be fitting if i went solo, "to the tiny hamlet of easthaven. As a thief, i have been plauged with ill luck, and retless fingers, and seem to have made the sword coast a hotbed of hostility for myself, as several groups seek my head (and my purse) upon which to exact revenge, and recover a few things which i...borrowed." Sorry, i got a little carried away, but anyways, that's sort of the idea i'd like to shoot for, but i think that i might be sunk defeating the rev. brother poquelin, without some magic or something. Is it possible to beat him and the golems without having a mage, or would i be cursed to dual classing my way through the spine of the world?
expert opinions welcome :]
Old 09-13-2002, 05:34 PM   #2
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

You know that you'll always, and I mean always, suffer from the lack of preventative "medicine" that magic can provide. Having said that, potions are there to even the score. With a game like IWD, the makers knew that some players might want to play a thieves' party, out to plunder the forgotten keep of Dorn's. Or you may want to play pure fighters as members of a mercenary company stuck in the Ten-Towns area for the winter. Therefore, I don't think it's too unreasonable to assume that you can get through the game without any magic support. It'll be harder, or challenging in a different way that's all.

I like the fact that you've already got a "scenario" to your character before you even put fingers to k/board or mouse. That says skills mate!

Anyway, as for character type, you could solo as a fighter for the first few levels, then dual as a thief. From posts I've read, cleric/rangers and other multi-classes are more preferable then single class or dual-class, but if you stick the game on Insane or HoF, you can have a few levels under your belt before you finish Dragon's Eye (mind I haven't tried soloing on HoF so you're on your own there). That's sort of my plan at the moment. I might dual to a thief, or go back and start again and dual to a druid. You know they rock!

In the end, it's what you really want to play. From the very description of the character you gave you obviously like the story element, so why let the mechanics of the game spoil it for you? Try it, and if it doesn't work, let me know quickly before I make a mess of it all.
Old 09-13-2002, 08:38 PM   #3
ryaldin
Elminster

I will. it sounds like several good options to me. I'll run it as soon as i can (in between courses at college, and making money, so that i can pay to have the college suck me dry...) and let you know how it goes!