Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2001, 12:14 AM   #41
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

Of course a fighter/mage can be awesome. You're just avoiding answering the question. Which is better? With that combo you mentioned you get the same problem as a pure mage- you're only super powered once. What about the fighter who runs out invisible with the Boots of speed and Cloak of mirroring and smacks you round the head with Crom Fayr or Celestial fury. Try casting spells when you're stunned. Or how good will you be when you start having levels drained thanks to Blackrazor? A fighter type is always prepared for battle and can take on anything if properly equiped. There are more effective ways for a fighter to protect themselves from magic than there are for mages to protect themselves from combat. How long would your great mage last against an inquisiter carrying Carsomyr who has a thaco of -10 or something and 4 or 5 attacks? If it's a one off prepared duel then the mage would probably win, but for usefulness in a party that is continually fighting and being ambushed a fighter type is better. In Bg2 I would much rather have a level 40 fighter than a level 40 mage.

[This message has been edited by Draggor (edited 05-02-2001).]
Old 05-02-2001, 12:17 AM   #42
Atomizer
Dungeon Master

HELL YEAH! Weaponz all tha way!
Old 05-03-2001, 10:12 PM   #43
Chaos Weapon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Sorry about that... I was just getting all freaked out at just how powerful those multi's can get. I was not in any way trying to resolve the debate.

Most people say that Fighters are more consistent. I also said this in previous debates. Now that I think... they certainly fight at a steady level against almost all foes. When I thought about my party with no mage however, I remebered that they always ran into something that was immune to certain or all of their weapons. They usually needed a mage or spellcaster to kill a lot of the opponents solo.
This is in counterpart to the Mage's extreme weakness against such things as golems or Tanar'ri, which are basically immune to magic and very tough fighters as well. Mages are capable, I say CAPABLE, of killing just about anything in the game world with just their own basic skills. In contrast (I hate to say this, I am a warrior fanatic on the side...) warriors need magic weapons or fire arrows, etc to kill creatures that (groan) mages hardly blink at, such as trolls. I know most fighters hardly blink at running over trolls and such but remeber, you are relying on either a weapon that causes fire damage or a limited supply of such things as fire arrows. Limited...just like a Mages spells are limited.

Though endless points on both sides can be made with no winning argument, we will all keep trying won't we? I will close with the great saying:
"If a mage is caught alone in the woods, who would he most want as a companion for a great complement to his skills. The same can be said vice-versa for the warrior."

CW
Old 05-03-2001, 10:35 PM   #44
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

Personaly, I like the feel of steel cutting through the muscle, sinew, and bone. The smell of you foes blood, and fear as you cleve limb. The feel of thier blood running down between your armor and skin. Remember to always drink a little of their blood before you cut off their head and do unspeakable things to the stump. AAAGGHH I want to Kill, I want to kill, and see blood guts and gore, I got veins in my teeth ,I want to kill.
Check the sig see the blood

------------------
Old 05-04-2001, 02:02 AM   #45
caleb
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

ALABAMA MAAAAAAAAAAAN!

------------------
Meet my lawyer.
Old 05-04-2001, 09:01 AM   #46
Bristowe
Elminster

There's not much a mage can do with a dagger between his shoulderbades! Heheheh, assassins - too cool

------------------
Yes indeed...
Old 05-04-2001, 09:11 AM   #47
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

this is just not on i mean summonings can win a battle for you. magic is not getting the support it deserves here. sure fighters can hack and slash but maze, imprisonment..etc and they are gone from the fight in imprisonments case gone forever without a freedom scroll. comeone magic supporters get ur arses into gear
Old 05-04-2001, 09:28 AM   #48
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

You're right that mages are better when you're talking about basic skills. A naked unarmed mage would be able to kill more than a naked unarmed fighter because the wizards skills are inate where as the fighter needs other objects. The fighters effectiveness with those objects is their advantage. The best character depends on who the player is. The best character is the one you like best.
Old 05-04-2001, 09:32 AM   #49
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

yeah well that is true i suppose im a bit predjudiced because mages/clerics/druids/sorcerers are my fav charachters
Old 05-04-2001, 10:33 AM   #50
DonkeyWan
Drow Warrior

Monks, naked monks, kick all types of ass. At the highest levels, monks are magic resistant and don't even need armor... gas altogether, I'm telling yeah, weeny wizards, watchout....