Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 12-24-2002, 09:07 AM   #1
I wish my name was Baggins
Elminster

I find them...I write them...I carry them around in my spell book....yet I have never cast one nor have I ever heard of one being cast...does anyone ever use this stuff? And if so how well does it work?
Old 12-24-2002, 09:56 AM   #2
andrewas
Harper

If you choose a target with low enough saves that you can be fairly certain of it working, then these spells are great. The problems are that most things worth charming late on have good saves so you need to be lucky to get them, and the charmed creature turns hostile again once the spell wears off.

Summoning spells are more reliable and do pretty much the same job.
Old 12-24-2002, 02:05 PM   #3
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Spells such as Emotion:Hopelessness are fantastic - when they work. In that the problem really lies, as getting the enemy to fail it's saves/MR can often be the real reason people don't bother to use them too often in BG. There's one area in IWD where these babies come at you thick and fast. The results for the unprepared party are somewhat obvious.

Confusion does give a -2 penalty to save, and Chaos has a -4 for those over 5th level. So, yes in answer to your question, such spells can be lethal if used correctly and they work. The same could be said about a good many others too. If it wasn't for the save I'd use Chromatic Orb. As it is, I find it's presence insulting if it takes up the space of an (in-)valuable Magic Missile. Others feel different of course.
Old 12-25-2002, 11:33 PM   #4
I wish my name was Baggins
Elminster

Magic Missile has it all over Chromatic Orb
Old 01-02-2003, 04:48 PM   #5
Midget Gems

I like to have a go with the Chaos and Confusion spells but there are a couple of things to bear in mind. Firstly it's best to pick on a large group of enemies so that there is a chance for a few failed saves and then a good chance of them fighting amoungst themselves. But more important is to prepare the way with Greater Malaise, so that thier saves are weakened. It makes a nice change from the usual routine of Fireball, Summoning and Magic Missile.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:34 PM   #6
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I like Chaos and Confusion spells as well except it annoys me a little that you end up losing experiance from the creatures that the confused creatures kill.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 02:58 AM   #7
Jan

The same here Baggins.

I have tons of portions and scrolls but I always (95%) end up letting the steal do the job (BGI, BGII and ToB). However, this time it might be a little different as I'm playing as a thief/mage. Used to be a hardcore berserker warrior. A hasted warrior going berserk is unstopable. Just wait and see in the end of ToB.
Old 01-04-2003, 06:43 AM   #8
karlosovic
Drizzt Do'Urden

I'm with you Jan. My tanks do the work for me. I always like to have 2 good tanks, 1 backup tank and everyone else firing missiles. my mages are for identify, magic missile, hasting and dispelling. my clerics heal and do 1-2 buffing spells before big fights but mostly it's just a case of lots of big swords