Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 05-07-2002, 09:01 AM   #1
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I am going to have to find out a way to raise some money for the site, my friend is going to need more bandwidth soon, (Our site uses MOST of his bandwidth, it's a T1 too!!)

But I was thinking of adding Ad banners to the site.. NO pop-ups or anything, but 1 banner. I HATE having to do this. But I gotta help him pay for it.

Also, our UBB License will 'run out' May 29th and I will no longer be able to download newer versions (Upgrades) after that date. THAT is only $99 I think, so we could raise that easily. But I wanted to let you know what is going on. We will have a T3 (i.e. BAD ASS bandwidth) and will allow us to grow!!

I know many have donated (Many MULTIPULE times) and you guys kick ass! [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] but we have 7000 users!!! We could do this with donations and the Ad banner easily!

Let me know what you think--ideas WELCOMED BIG TIME!!

We have only received 1 paypal donation since March too-- I am worried. Should I make a 'header' so all forums can see it--a pick with something like 'please help' or something?

Thanks, god I wish I was rich.. I totally feel ill thinking of adding a BANNER ad to this clean site. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] Seriously.. they would make it look 'less cozy' feeling.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 05-07-2002, 09:23 AM   #2
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Hell, we did it with the server, no reason we can't do it with this. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-07-2002, 09:29 AM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Let's try another donation rally and if you can forecast early enough that it is not working out, then I think it'd be okay to grab a banner...as long as it was not a pop-up. But use the banner only if we let you down on donations. Set a date limit to raise a certain amount before you go "bannerizing" the place.
Old 05-07-2002, 09:45 AM   #4
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Hell, we did it with the server, no reason we can't do it with this. [img]smile.gif[/img]
I am sure we could, the thing that kinda sucks is: He may ask for it every Month, in the past, he's been letting me get away with a LOT free (letting me use bandwidth free most of the time).

He was telling me that 80-90% of all of his bandwidth is being eaten up by my site ( [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] ) WE'RE TO BIG FOR OUR BRITCHES! hehe.. Now I see why Readyhosting cut my CGI and limited my bandwidth. [img]smile.gif[/img] My friend wouldn't cut my CGI access, after we just bought a dedicated server, BUT. he probably would 'throttle' my bandwidth if I didn't pay, and his service was in jeopardy. (I NEED TO WIN THE LOTTERY!)

Aaaaaaaaghhhhhh. I am frustrated. [img]graemlins/whome.gif[/img]

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 05-07-2002, 09:52 AM   #5
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Ziroc, have you thought of having a special membership class for, like $10 a month? Almost anyone could manage that, and you could have special insignia and other perks. Other sites do it. You could get people tp put it on their credit cards so tht you could have a regular amount coming in every month, like a banner, but not so intrusive.
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society
Old 05-07-2002, 10:35 AM   #6
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

*Cough* The golden order of Choc *cough* Get your signed photo of choc now *cough* only 10 $

Seriously though. Most be some place that wants to add thoose highclass banners in flash from Like morrowind, IceWinddale 2, NWN and other games. I mean there are 7000 very likely customars here!

We are a marketing goldmine with the force of the knowledge and word by mouth we can spread all over the world! To send some letters to the publishers of the major gaming houses for a banner here and there on this forum where we.. hey.. discuss their games. News banners etc for them would be really good! They will hit their group of customars of up to 50-90%!!(sometimes almost 100%) That is very high in marketing rates!

Take for instance the banner for morrowind. It is pretty nicely done in flash and on the side. So not so broad pages? Just better for reading all the posts!

Also a now and then rally could boost morale! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Well just some idea for banners...

Don´t eat the yellow snow
Old 05-07-2002, 10:50 AM   #7
the sauceman
Zhentarim Guard

Hey Z, thanks for the great site, and i will send you a real big donation after i get a new graphics card for Morrowind(sigh)...
might take me a while as im in between jobs right now.
Old 05-07-2002, 11:12 AM   #8
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

I'm with Memnoch on this one: I believe we could get the money we need with another big rally. I'll try chip in this time, but not having a crdit card is a porblem. .

Is there no other way of getting the money to you? If not, i'll go fight with my parents for a bit.
Old 05-07-2002, 11:17 AM   #9
Charean
Hathor

Just wondering how much do you need per month? I am sure there are plenty of us willing to kick in whatever is needed.

I wish I had known that this was an ongoing thing... that may be why the donations dried up. Now we know.

Will work on sending you something. For those who don't have paypal... how about a money order or something like that?

[ 05-07-2002, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: Charean ]
Old 05-07-2002, 11:32 AM   #10
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Ironworks T-shirts. No, I'm being serious here. When I saw it with an online game called Warriors, I thought it was a joke. It wasn't, and all of them were solled out in no-time. You could also try selling 'Ironworks collecter CD's', with the best moments of Ironworks. Hints,tips, demo's, etc for all the games we discuss here.