Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 03-20-2001, 08:24 PM   #1
Christopher Fee
Welcomed New User

I keep getting an error message down at the botom of the interface that tells me the mana icon bitmap won't load, and the game locks up. Wassup wid dat?
Christopher Fee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 10:05 PM   #2
realbinky
Elminster

Sounds like a file didn't copy right from the CD. Try a manual full install, or maybe you can find ust that file...look for a 0 byte file in the W&W directory
realbinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 11:44 PM   #3
Christopher Fee
Welcomed New User

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. Incidentally, I also found a virus or two on my machine, so that may have had something to do with it, too. Maybe not though . . .
Old 03-21-2001, 04:27 AM   #4
Matri
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Virus bad. Virus no good. Must kill virus.

Some viruses can't be removed, so the infected file must be deleted and incinerated. That's probably what happened to your file. But I've never heard of a virus that infects imagefiles...
Matri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 08:54 AM   #5
realbinky
Elminster

There are quite a few, they take out .jpg, .bmp and .mp3 (melissa, nakedwife to name 2). Some nuke the files, some copy the virus into the same name (so image.jpg becomes the virus, renamed to image.jpg.vbs).
realbinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 11:36 AM   #6
Christopher Fee
Welcomed New User

Wow . . . you gamer guys are smart!

For what it's worth, the three viruses I found were W95.Hybris.plugin, W95.Hybris.gen, and W95.Hybris.worm. I got them from files I had downloaded from gamecopy world, so watch out for anything you use from that site. here was also some stupid spam going around called Snow White or Dwarves or something like that which also made my baby sick. Of course, I was dumb enough to open it, so I shouldn't complain all that much.

Norton wasn't able to repair OR quarantine them, so I had to delete the files through DOS (I still use WIN98 SE) since the GUI wouldn't allow me access. One of the files that had to die was Wsock32.dll.

I hope this helps somebody else from gettng fubarred.
Old 03-21-2001, 11:45 AM   #7
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Glad to see that you were able to get some excellent help (just the best posters here!!!), Christopher and especially that you got the "bonus" of finding a removing viruses from your machine!! Nasty things!!

Have fun!!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 12:39 PM   #8
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Just as a reminder, Knights and Ladies...

never, EVER open ANY attachment on an e-mail that you don't know where it came from. Even be careful of opening those on e-mails from people you think you know, since many viruses are "replicators" that copy addresses from address books and send themselves on to the next person on the list.

Check out http://www.ciac.org/ for a list of the most current viruses (and also a list of the "hoaxes" that are out there). The Computer Incident Advisory Capability (CIAC) is the "police force" of the Internet; tracking viruses and hacking behavior online.

Also, when in doubt, ALWAYS scan e-mail attachments with Norton Anti-Virus, McAfee VirusScan, or some such other virus scanning utility.

You cannot get a virus from a .TXT, .RTF, .GIF, .PDF, or .JPG file. These are safe to open. All others, including .ZIP files, make SURE you run through a Virus checker...or otherwise delete without opening!

This has been a public service announcement from Sazerac the Safety Warlock.

Now back to regularly scheduled programming...

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 03-21-2001).]
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 08:26 PM   #9
Matri
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Wouldn't a "Safety Warlock" be a contradiction?
Matri is offline   Reply With Quote