Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-14-2004, 03:47 AM   #41
burnzey boi
Red Wizard of Thay

i wonder if animals have thoughts like humans.. if only they could speak our language then we would know for sure. but if they could, would the thought of "should i or shouldn't i?" be in their mind dictionary?

(Main)Undead Mage - 70, Orc Warrior - 70, Blood Elf Paladin - 70, Orc Shaman - 70, Troll Rogue - 70,
Orc Hunter - 65, UD Warlock 61, BE Priest 60, Tauren Drood - 60
OM NOM NOM NOM
Old 10-14-2004, 05:30 AM   #42
Intrepid
Symbol of Cyric

animals follow instinct, they don't nessicarily have a sense of right or wrong as such, obviously there are less intelegent animals etc.
Actually i watched this documentary on elephants a while ago, and this baby elephant from another herd got stuck in this mud thing, and the herd nearby saved it, even though it wasn't one of their offspring and they would gain no benifit from saving it.
So i guess they knew the sense of wanting to help, and maybe do right in some form.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:16 AM   #43
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Intrepid:
animals follow instinct, they don't nessicarily have a sense of right or wrong as such, obviously there are less intelegent animals etc.
Actually i watched this documentary on elephants a while ago, and this baby elephant from another herd got stuck in this mud thing, and the herd nearby saved it, even though it wasn't one of their offspring and they would gain no benifit from saving it.
So i guess they knew the sense of wanting to help, and maybe do right in some form.
Hmmm, they also bury their dead, and defend the carcass of any elephant from bieng stripped by other animals.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:26 AM   #44
Dadams1
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Just because we created computers and discovered medicine, does not necessarily mean we are the most intelligent creatures on the planet... I believe that if you are intelligent then you show that you learn things quickly or figure things out for yourself... like monkeys, orangutangs and gorillas... now they are smart creatures. Once you show them how to do something they automatically pick it up, and they can figure out the most complicated puzzles, it's just amazing.
Dude, I love you!

Depending on what your beliefs on life are, you'll have a different opinion of the human race. Personally, since I'm pretty much a nihilist (nothing matters), I believe that humans are the lowest life form, because while we do things to survive, we also do unnecessary things (creating things not directly related to survival), and all we do is destroy. We do not destroy to create; we destroy to destroy. And that, to me, is a lower standard than that of the world's animals.

[ 10-14-2004, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: Dadams1 ]
Old 10-14-2004, 10:11 AM   #45
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Intrepid:
Which begs the question...can an elephant be...EVIL? [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Is that what you really want to say?
Old 10-14-2004, 11:42 AM   #46
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Quote:
Just because we created computers and discovered medicine, does not necessarily mean we are the most intelligent creatures on the planet... I believe that if you are intelligent then you show that you learn things quickly or figure things out for yourself... like monkeys, orangutangs and gorillas... now they are smart creatures. Once you show them how to do something they automatically pick it up, and they can figure out the most complicated puzzles, it's just amazing.
Okay, assuming that "picking up new skills" determines how intelligent you were, we still beat primates, right?

[ 10-14-2004, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Jaradu ]
Old 10-14-2004, 12:05 PM   #47
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Good article here.

The meaning of life?

Life is a highway, that the government doesn't maintain, and everybody walks over. It starts getting potholes, and cracks at about 40, and eventually becomes a dirt road that gets washed away by the rain.

[ 10-14-2004, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 10-14-2004, 12:20 PM   #48
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Wow, if there's a better metaphor, I've yet to hear it. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2004, 12:43 PM   #49
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Dadams1:
quote:
Dude, I love you!

Depending on what your beliefs on life are, you'll have a different opinion of the human race. Personally, since I'm pretty much a nihilist (nothing matters), I believe that humans are the lowest life form, because while we do things to survive, we also do unnecessary things (creating things not directly related to survival), and all we do is destroy. We do not destroy to create; we destroy to destroy. And that, to me, is a lower standard than that of the world's animals.
[/QUOTE]Hogwash! If other animals feel threatened by something they will attack and kill it by whatever means at their disposal. They will attack and/or kill anything which invades what they perceive as their claimed territory. Plenty of organism would multiply and wreak havok if left unchecked by competing organisms or environmental limitations. We are unique in the fact that we can create our own environmental conditions to propigate ourselves (build shelters, wear clothing, grow food, etc.). We can augment any of our physical limitations through the use of tools. Unlike other animals, we are intelligent enough to at least try to limit ourselves without the need for competing organisms or environmental limitations.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:32 PM   #50
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

Watch Monty Python's "The Meaning of Life"

It will help a lot.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke