Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2001, 02:59 AM   #11
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Mel Gibson
Payback, The Patriot, Braveheart, Lethal Weapon 1, 2, 3 ,4
He's got class, and he can pull off the comedy in an otherwise gritty guns and explosions show like Payback or Lethal Weapon..And he has a trademark grin..

Tom Hanks
Saving Private Ryan, Cast Away
He can act, and he's got this..strange calm in the face of the chaos he's always acting in. He just has this way of acting that makes him very endearing..

Eliza Dushku
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
She's very..exemplary with her..many attributes

Leo Di Caprio
The Beach
He's an idiot, and has no non-physical outstanding qualities, but the Beach is a good watch..He went overboard with the Romantic Sentimental sh*t in Titanic, but he does happen to do that pretty well, like in Romeo + Juliet. I'm not a big fan, but he does have his good movies..

People like Angelina Jolie and Winona Ryder(Girl Interrupted) have some good shows too..Angelina Jolie especially (Hackers!) Girl Interrupted is probably the best drama I've seen all year.
And if you want some cool movies, watch American History X and Cruel Intentions(a not so-good attempt at Dangerous Liasons, but pretty fun to watch )

btw Mistral, I'm still wondering if you're Singaporean..

------------------
No-Name Face
Old 10-04-2001, 03:04 AM   #12
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Actually, great actors and actresses could make good movies, but great movies dont need great actors/actresses..
I'm kinda wondering whether you're more interested in movies or actor/actresses
I find that many actors/actresses who are'nt so well known (like the skinhead in American History X) actually can act pretty well depending on circumstance and the script they're given. Even star power can't save a stinker like say Dungeons and Dragons for example..

------------------
No-Name Face
Old 10-04-2001, 05:39 AM   #13
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Lifetime:
Actually, great actors and actresses could make good movies, but great movies dont need great actors/actresses..
I'm kinda wondering whether you're more interested in movies or actor/actresses
I find that many actors/actresses who are'nt so well known (like the skinhead in American History X) actually can act pretty well depending on circumstance and the script they're given. Even star power can't save a stinker like say Dungeons and Dragons for example..

Hi Lifetime,

Thanks for your posts!

About whether I'm more interested in actors/actresses or movies: actually, it's both. I certainly don't mind watching movies with my favourite actors/actresses even if I realise there's a chance the movie could be disappointing... but so far, my favourite actor Daniel Day-Lewis hasn't let me down once - his movies tend to be more arty (with the exception of The Last of the Mohicans) but they aren't crap

I also agree that good movies may not necessarily be enacted by well-known actors/actresses. For example, I enjoyed Gossip without realising later that Kate Hudson was in it.

Btw, what makes you think I'm Singaporean
Old 10-04-2001, 06:45 AM   #14
Ed
Manshoon

At the moment I'm looking for all the kevin smith films i can find. He Stars in and directs all his films, and to put it bluntly the man's a genius. Very funny, all of them. Also our friend the new bond Mr Brosnen is pretty slick....

------------------

The REAL Minsc/Boo double act .....

Platinum Fighter of ALSB
Old 10-05-2001, 02:05 AM   #15
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Mistral, I just get the feeling. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

And what was wrong with The Last of the Mohicans? Wasnt that the one where this fellow ran around throwing axes at people? Or do I have the wrong movie..

Arty movies can be very cool, but most of the time, outside of a film school, most people dont like them because a movie's supposed to be fun, not boring. I dont mind though-provoking movies though, such as Pay it Forward or Sliding Doors. They might be box-office crud, but they've got messages and I think that makes them worth watching. Sometimes the best movies arent the biggest movies. I loved the Blair Witch Project, for example. Thats a not-so conventional arty movie..

Gossip was another one of those grungy, gritty films.. not really blockbuster material, but very good for say, a study on film-making or character acting, as opposed to a big epic like Armageddon, which relies on its special effects and pretty faces rather than the actual acting skills of the actor to get them through.

I find that lower-budget movies tend to lean more towards good acting rather than good CG-effects.. Say in Gossip, which has basically casted with no-names, the film relies more on the acting abilities and the ability for the cast to slip into their roles, rather than Armageddon, which just required the actors to speak the words on a blue screen backdrop and let the CG team have a field day. There are exceptions like the Sixth Sense, but mainly from the creative genuis of that little guy..

On the topic of actors, there ARE movies that I watch simply because I feel that a movie with a big name in it cant be half bad. I watch for names like Tom Hanks, or Keanu Reeves (he has some REAL bad ones though) or Angelina Jolie (saw tomb raider for her, because she can REALLY act the part), and even though the original cast of Star Wars didnt really make it big except for Harrison Ford, I'm always gonna remember them as THE Luke Skywalker, or THE Princess Leia.

------------------
No-Name Face
Old 10-05-2001, 02:11 AM   #16
Djinn Raffo
Ra

I dont know if i will say a specific actress but for me she should light up the screen with her smile and make me love her at first glance. Her character: A shining star that melts my heart and fills my days with daydreaming hope.
Old 10-05-2001, 04:10 AM   #17
Mahlennacht
Drow Warrior

O yes - Miss Hepburn is an admirable lady indeed - "Roman Holiday" is great; I also liked her loopy character in "Charade"
(BTW, to DragonMage - wow didn't know Geena was a Mensan [hey I passed the test too but I never stayed a member] - but I REALLY liked the fact that she took up archery so seriously & I was pulling for her to make the US team... bummed when she didn't quite make it, but hell she was practically a newbie!)

My favorite actress, for some reason, has always been Charlotte Rampling - I only know of one person who is as obsessed with her as I... seems that not many people have even heard of her.

Qualities: Elegant, yet welcomes odd or even bizarre roles...

I still like watching her films - even if she is now almost old enough to be my mother she still has a certain attitude you usually sense in younger people. Perhaps not the greatest actress but she has her own style - perhaps not the foxiest of ladies but, as a friend once put it, "she doesn't seem that she would be attractive, but she is" (if you're like me that is ).

Fave films: "Max Mon Amour", "Stardust Memories" (w/ Woody Allen), "Zardoz" (w/ Sean Connery), "The Night Porter"...
Also has done her share of 'bad' films like "Orca" [but man does she look pretty in that one]...
*NOTE* - the infamous "Night Porter" and "Max" have subject matter that's close to NC-17 by today's P.C. standards, in case someone wanted to check those out.
Old 10-05-2001, 05:27 AM   #18
Zbyszek

Hmm... Shrek! for his fresh manners and friendy face

------------------

Well known expetitioner, Heffalumps hunter, friend of Boo.
Old 10-05-2001, 05:30 AM   #19
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed:
At the moment I'm looking for all the kevin smith films i can find. He Stars in and directs all his films, and to put it bluntly the man's a genius. Very funny, all of them. Also our friend the new bond Mr Brosnen is pretty slick....

Unfortunately Ed, Pierce Brosnan does not want to be seen as "James Bond". He wants to be seen as an actor, who plays James Bond, and therefore (if I'm not mistaking, of course) he's left the job open to a new actor who wishes to be famous 007.. wonder who'll replace him, cos he did a very fine job indeed. I think he's number three after Sean Connery, and Roger Moore.

------------------
I am committed to restore your faith in extreme violence...

Link
Overlord Executioner, Slayer of Fluffed Beings
Member of Clan HADB
Supreme Warrior of Myst
Official Entertainer in Cloudy's Cafe
Old 10-05-2001, 07:30 AM   #20
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Mahlennacht:
(BTW, to DragonMage - wow didn't know Geena was a Mensan [hey I passed the test too but I never stayed a member] - but I REALLY liked the fact that she took up archery so seriously & I was pulling for her to make the US team... bummed when she didn't quite make it, but hell she was practically a newbie!)...

...Fave films: "Max Mon Amour", "Stardust Memories" (w/ Woody Allen), "Zardoz" (w/ Sean Connery), "The Night Porter"...
Yes, Geena surprised me with the archery. I wish she'd made it, too.

And - OMG!!!! Someone else who not only knows of the movie Zardoz - but LIKES it!!!! I thought I was the only one!

------------------

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS
Magey-Wagey: performer in the Nekked Dancing Trio of the ORT.
Occasional minion to Gwhanos the Fluffy

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*