Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 11-05-2001, 05:39 PM   #1
Corson27
Welcomed New User

Maybe this is too easy, but I am getting more and more frustrated with this guy. I found all four scrolls telling me how I could kill the demon, but every time I do some damage, next turn he is back to "uninjured".

I also tried to lure him into those corners on the second level. e.g. when he turn into the winged demon I sent him into the freezer. But the results are always the same. he remains uninjured while my party dies a quick and painful death.

How did you solve the chromatic demon?
Corson27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 08:59 PM   #2
Debaser

Welcome to the board, first off.

Well, there is really no secret to "solving" the Chromatic Demon. you just have to kill him! the major challenge with this is that he has a sick rate of regeneration, so you need some tanks in there using whirlwind/greater whirlwind on him most of the time. another tough part is that every form he shifts to, he becomes impervious to a certain form of attack (such as fire or cold...)
Don't try luring him anywhere, I don't think that will make a difference, and furthermore this probably gives him more free time to regenerate as he follows you.
the best advice i can give you is once he appears outside of the cage, have some tank fighters with good ACs and damage surround him....start smashing away...maybe throw a few lower resistances and such in his direction, and towards the end have everyone attacking him w/ physical attacks (i.e. mages/rogues with ranged weapons, your fighters up close laying down the law with whirlwinds, power attacks, and what have you)...
With a bit of luck, you'll have the bastard creamed in no time. The key is smashing him beyond the threshold of his regeneration.
Old 11-06-2001, 03:46 AM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Do not forget to use summons to help, the Chromatic Demon has very high damage resistance, so you really need to keep pounding on him.

Cheesy Tactic Alert!
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
Hit the Demon with 3-4 Lower Resistance, then spank him with Harm. Congratulations, you have reduced him to 1 Hp.

Ultimate Cheesy Tactic Alert!
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
Lay seven of your most potent traps at the Demon's spawning spot... ...
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 06:34 AM   #4
Corson27
Welcomed New User

Thanks guys,

with those Lower Resist and Harm spells I finished him off in no time. I think I have underestimated the value of lower resist, because I have never used it before.

From now on I'll have to use spell repertoire more wisely.
Corson27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 08:11 PM   #5
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Corson27:
I think I have underestimated the value of lower resist, because I have never used it before.

Better have at least one lower resist memorised - it's essential for later battles.
Old 11-06-2001, 10:30 PM   #6
Tiamat
Banned User

TOTALLY!!!!
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 05:36 PM   #7
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

i just attacked him with my tanks while i hit him with spells such as fire arrow, and melfs acid arrow and cone of cold and lightning bolt and the like. you have to hit him with whatever attack he is vulnerable to in each different state. for instance he turns into an abominable snowman looking guy you blast him with some fire arrows or fireballs. when he turns into the fire demon hit him with a cone of cold. he dies pretty easy if you time it right. just use your tanks to weaken and distract him while you let your wizard do the dirty work. TOB is a completely different game then SoA. you have to rely on and effectively use your wizards. in SOa you can just hack and slash, you have to be crafty with TOB
Old 11-21-2001, 08:50 AM   #8
Zealot_ea
Welcomed New User

Wound't the spell magic resist work better than lower resist? It does for every other encounter in the past.
Zealot_ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 09:18 AM   #9
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Hello

Magic Resistance can only be cast on friendly creatures. So it is useful for Firkraag et al. Also it has a much longer casting time and you have to stand next to the target as you do it - an invitation to get pulped.

Another trick with the demon (slightly cheesy) is to only release him when he is in a form you find it easiest to attack. For example - I had loads and loads of Flame Arrows spells memorised so I released him when he was the ice form. He went down to "Injured" in a few seconds, although the rest of the fight was a real bitch as I didn't have any cold spells to hand.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Barry the Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 09:59 PM   #10
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Remember also that Magic Resistance is only best abused when your Cleric is low level, at higher levels, it starts to lose its' potency.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote