Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2003, 07:10 PM   #1
Dagorion
Red Wizard of Thay

Well not a problem to be exact but for no F&#$*@# reason it uninstalled! And I do not have enough time or a fast enough internet connection to download it every single time those evil people at Micro$haft want to delete it off my computer in some evil plan that is somehow related to world domination.
Well the point I'm trying to get to is that I was wandering if it was possible to get DirectX 9 in something like a setup file. At the moment if I download DirectX from Microsoft’s site I end up downloading some stupid setup file that THEN downloads DirextX and hides it somewhere where I can't find it.
I just want the proper DirectX file so next time my comp looses it or if I format I can install it without wasting an hour on the net. Anyone know if its possible?
Old 07-03-2003, 07:13 PM   #2
Animal
Gold Dragon

I think you have a much deeper problem than that. Direct X 9 is uninstallable, being that it's an intregral part of the OS. If for some reason your PC is corrupting DX files, you need to find out why.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:22 PM   #3
Dagorion
Red Wizard of Thay

Eh? Well thats not good... Would it be a virus or something else?
Old 07-03-2003, 07:48 PM   #4
Zero Alpha

Quote:
Originally posted by Dagorion:
Eh? Well thats not good... Would it be a virus or something else?
i have to say you should probably know this by now [img]tongue.gif[/img] . im basing this on i expect everyone here to have an up to date virus checker. *closes expired subscription dialoge box*. well.. yes..umm.yeah.
it does sound like either a virus, or somthing more sinister like a dieing install of windows or at worst, a dieing hard disk. if you keep installing dx9 onto bad sectors of hard disk you would keep loosing it. being tech support to too many people i figured out my favorite course of action is a fresh install of windows. this may not be your cup of tea but its great for cleaning out cobwebs. if you want to know my favorite way to install an os just post and ill give a detailed description.

hope this helps
Old 07-03-2003, 07:58 PM   #5
Dagorion
Red Wizard of Thay

Thanks Zero but I formatted and reinstalled windows just a few months ago, and I don't feel like doing it again. Also, I have the full version of Norton 2003 and it came up with nothing. Scandisk came up with nothing and I also just finished downloading and reinstalling DirectX 9 so I hope my problems are over.
I think it may be tied it with the fact that it disappeared around the time I was playing counter strike. I was playing and on my computer, if I escape a LAN game and try to go back into it the screen is all screwy so I escaped the game. When I tried to open the game again it said I needed DirectX 6 or above to play...
Old 07-03-2003, 08:32 PM   #6
Zero Alpha

Quote:
I think it may be tied it with the fact that it disappeared around the time I was playing counter strike. I was playing and on my computer, if I escape a LAN game and try to go back into it the screen is all screwy so I escaped the game. When I tried to open the game again it said I needed DirectX 6 or above to play...
at least promise me you will do a thourogh scandisk. belive me this should not be possible. driect x is impossible to get rid of. its like if the start bar was deleted, it shouldnt be possible. i suggest a new install anyway because im like that. if you had your hard disk partitioned properly, you would be able to just format the os segment, and keep your data. this is the procedure i suggest, but it is very last resort. if you get it working, great! (im sorry im not very optimistic about it tho )

[ 07-03-2003, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: Zero Alpha ]
Old 07-03-2003, 10:41 PM   #7
Dagorion
Red Wizard of Thay

Don't worry about it Zero, the problem seems to be fixed now. Hell, things go strangely missing on this computer all the time, I simply re-downloaded DX9 again and CS seems to be running fine. Still not sure what happened though.

And by the way, I once tried creating a partition for that kind of purpose and it... well “screwed up” would be putting it lightly... In the end I ended up formatting BOTH my hard drives. I don't want to go through that again... Unless you know of a relatively safe way for me to create one then I would love to know.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:18 PM   #8
Animal
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Don't worry about it Zero, the problem seems to be fixed now. Hell, things go strangely missing on this computer all the time, I simply re-downloaded DX9 again and CS seems to be running fine. Still not sure what happened though.

And by the way, I once tried creating a partition for that kind of purpose and it... well “screwed up” would be putting it lightly... In the end I ended up formatting BOTH my hard drives. I don't want to go through that again... Unless you know of a relatively safe way for me to create one then I would love to know.
Either use Partion Magic or create two seperate partitions when you install XP. By the way, things shouldn't go strangely missing on your PC, and if they do you have a VERY BIG problem.
Old 07-04-2003, 05:51 AM   #9
WillowIX
Apophis

Well I'm not sure about this but have you checked if the setup program stores the downloaded executables in the temp folder in Documents and Settings? Perhaps you can find it there. Also AFAIK no game is using Dx9 support so you might as well use Dx 8.1 which is way more stable. [img]smile.gif[/img] BTW, are you sure your graphics card supports DirectX 9? If it doesn't that might be your problem. [img]smile.gif[/img]