Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2001, 10:58 PM   #1
Zateel
Zhentarim Guard

SUPER GAME RUINING SPOILER!!! PLEASE USE YOU BACK BUTTON ON BROWSER NOW!!!
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
DO NOT GO ANY FURTHER!!! I"VE WARNED YOU!!!/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
So here you are, despite headers, warnings in both topic and post, to read a "spoiler" about Throne of Bhaal which none have played (programmers aside). Someone gave a poor guy a hard time the other day for posting info the other day on a game that is not even out.. Archaeon I think. If you haven't played it, and you don't want to be spoiled, why are you reading? Tonight I read a post by Damark Ifrit, a new guy, and he labeled his post "After Hell". Now ANYONE who has made it past Hell knows about the stuff he brought up. Yet people were complaining that he was "spoiling" them. Here's a big hint to all reading about spoilers. IF YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE TOPIC IS ABOUT, IT IS LIKELY TO COME UP LATER IN THE GAME AND YOU WILL POSSIBLY KNOW THE SOLUTION IF YOU CLICK ON THE TOPIC AND READ IT AT THIS TIME! If you think the title "After Hell" is a spoiler in itself, reavealing that there is indeed a "Hell", what about the "Fiirkrag" and "Underdark" posts? You mean there is an Underdark? Damn, I'm spoiled now!

This is a game forum, one that I found with a search engine ACTIVELY LOOKING FOR ANSWERS. And are the answers ever here! I can appreciate the concern about spoilers in titles, and when revealed off topic further down the post, but it's getting to be like:
SPOILER
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Aeire is a cleric/mage. or

SPOILER:
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
The new game is in a green box, and *you* are still the main character

I mean, what is the point? I've been spoiled myself at times, but it's because I've poked my head where I shouldn't have, not because I'm reading someones post about a completely unfamiliar topic and HOW DARE THEY not give me a warning in the title of the post that someone else might reply to their question which possibly could reveal the answer to the question asked in the
title of the post!

If the post is called "where are the gauntlets of..." then one should expect that when they read the post, the answer WILL PROBABLY BE REVEALED.

Okay, end of my rant. And now for the apologies. I'm not attacking anyone personally on the board, nay I have the highest respect for all of you (except one, who I won't mention). And to Memnoch especially, I have deep admiration of your moderatorship, and think you are doing great! I do not intend this to be a counter or rebuttal of your recent reminder of spoiler posts, nor do I encourage anyone to spoil others. I merely imply that the readers should take responsibility for spoiling themselves when viewing a topic. Aside from the impending attacks/ defenses that shall be hurled at me, do any others have a similar opinion(keeping you reading to what you know if you don't want to know)?
Old 04-09-2001, 11:01 PM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

POINT!!

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 04-10-2001, 12:26 AM   #3
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Of course people should take responsibility for what posts they go into Zateel, I’m not disagreeing with you at all there. Conversely, people should also be careful with the way they title their posts so that what they are talking about is as clear as possible, to avoid accidentally misleading people.

For example, your title above just begs to be clicked on, because you have not been at all specific in what you are posting about. If, on the other hand, you had posted something like “SPOILER about the identity of the new ToB NPC”, then people who want to know can click, and people who don’t want to know but click anyway will have to take responsibility for their being spoiled.

PS – Please don’t reveal the identity of the new ToB NPC if you are one of the few who know.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Memnoch (edited 04-10-2001).]
Old 04-10-2001, 03:44 AM   #4
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Zateel:
So here you are, despite headers, warnings in both topic and post, to read a "spoiler" about Throne of Bhaal which none have played (programmers aside). Someone gave a poor guy a hard time the other day for posting info the other day on a game that is not even out.. Archaeon I think. If you haven't played it, and you don't want to be spoiled, why are you reading? Tonight I read a post by Damark Ifrit, a new guy, and he labeled his post "After Hell". Now ANYONE who has made it past Hell knows about the stuff he brought up. Yet people were complaining that he was "spoiling" them. Here's a big hint to all reading about spoilers. IF YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE TOPIC IS ABOUT, IT IS LIKELY TO COME UP LATER IN THE GAME AND YOU WILL POSSIBLY KNOW THE SOLUTION IF YOU CLICK ON THE TOPIC AND READ IT AT THIS TIME! If you think the title "After Hell" is a spoiler in itself, reavealing that there is indeed a "Hell", what about the "Fiirkrag" and "Underdark" posts? You mean there is an Underdark? Damn, I'm spoiled now!

This is a game forum, one that I found with a search engine ACTIVELY LOOKING FOR ANSWERS. And are the answers ever here! I can appreciate the concern about spoilers in titles, and when revealed off topic further down the post, but it's getting to be like:

The new game is in a green box, and *you* are still the main character

I mean, what is the point? I've been spoiled myself at times, but it's because I've poked my head where I shouldn't have, not because I'm reading someones post about a completely unfamiliar topic and HOW DARE THEY not give me a warning in the title of the post that someone else might reply to their question which possibly could reveal the answer to the question asked in the
title of the post!

If the post is called "where are the gauntlets of..." then one should expect that when they read the post, the answer WILL PROBABLY BE REVEALED.

Okay, end of my rant. And now for the apologies. I'm not attacking anyone personally on the board, nay I have the highest respect for all of you (except one, who I won't mention). And to Memnoch especially, I have deep admiration of your moderatorship, and think you are doing great! I do not intend this to be a counter or rebuttal of your recent reminder of spoiler posts, nor do I encourage anyone to spoil others. I merely imply that the readers should take responsibility for spoiling themselves when viewing a topic. Aside from the impending attacks/ defenses that shall be hurled at me, do any others have a similar opinion(keeping you reading to what you know if you don't want to know)?

I sooooo want to flame you Zaetle but out of respect for Ironworks rules I won't. I'd suggest matter how much you want to break those spoiler rules you keep the Ironworks policy too.

The majority of us know full well the line which you are trying to blur. "Aerie is a cleric/mage" is not a spoil. You can read the manual and get that information! Detailing what happens to her is. Also your topic was plainly and obviously a wisarse attempt at being smart.

Why be a wise guy? No one likes a spoiler.

------------------
O.K..... what do I do now? Goo goo goo choo?

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!

[This message has been edited by Yorick (edited 04-10-2001).]
Old 04-10-2001, 06:33 AM   #5
Bruce The Aussie
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Of course people should take responsibility for what posts they go into Zateel, I’m not disagreeing with you at all there. Conversely, people should also be careful with the way they title their posts so that what they are talking about is as clear as possible, to avoid accidentally misleading people.

For example, your title above just begs to be clicked on, because you have not been at all specific in what you are posting about. If, on the other hand, you had posted something like “SPOILER about the identity of the new ToB NPC”, then people who want to know can click, and people who don’t want to know but click anyway will have to take responsibility for their being spoiled.

PS – Please don’t reveal the identity of the new ToB NPC if you are one of the few who know.

when you say "new NPC" do you mean.. naw i won't say it your right i was pissed at finding out early so i wont spoil it for others

------------------

Bruce The Aussie, Camp Barbarian Hunter OHF
jester of LH and Master Beastmaster of the clan of the Kats
Old 04-10-2001, 07:56 AM   #6
Radek
Red Dragon

Zateel, I would like to present you one advice: If you do not want to spoil your game then do not join any forums at all and do not search for any information on the internet. Learn everything the hard way. Also, initiate the new "Oracle" discussion groups. The only allowed types of posts in the "Oracles" will be:

Aerie is ... sipmly Aerie.
The game is sold ... yes, it is, finally.

Why I am so rude. Because I am reading these frightened posts again and again and I must disagree with all of them. The forums are there to allow exchange of INFORMATION. If I search a forum then I search an answer, not for an oracle. Does the answer spoil anything? Does the additional information (about things I meet later in the game, for example) spoil anything? I think it does not. First and foremost, I get an opinion of another person with another play style and another preferences. In most cases, I shall not copy the advice - I shall use it to develop my own solution that suits me best. The advice does not prevent me from searching different solutions. If the advice contains the only way of doing something, then it only saves my time and frustration.
The information about later events cannot spoil anything as well. Well, it helps to develop a strategy. But are we so imbecile that we are unable to search our own ways through the game and that the only way available to us is the one recommended by someone else? If we are so imbecile then we should not play RPGs. I daresay that we are not imbecile at all - because we are able to play such type of games. Therefore, the information about later events speeds up the first pass through the game. Next passes will follow. And we shall play better than during the first pass.
Therefore, don't be afraid of information on the forums. Accept it and use it for finding your own ways through the game.
Old 04-10-2001, 09:16 AM   #7
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

The only way to get into trouble with the "big guys" is to deliberatley spoil without the concern for others.
If you did not get to see the battle with Mr. Smith, I will tell you what happened to him. Many people were not online at the time and would also like to know. This guy posts a game secret as the title of his post. Even if you were a new kid on the block that had vowed never to read the posts marked ..."spoil ahead", you could not miss it. Now, if you were not far enough into the game to have reached that point yet, you may be very upset to know the very thing Mr. Smith posted as clear as day. Then, to make it worse, if you clicked on his post to read more about what he was saying, all you found was (hahahahahahahaha), repeated a thousand times.
Do you see the difference in a deliberate spoil and what you are talking about? Just play by the rules, and we will all be fine. Nobody is going to rant about it. Just label your stuff S.P.O.I.L. in front of delicate material, and we will all be happy.

------------------

Larry, Sell-Sword to the OHF
Old 04-10-2001, 09:25 AM   #8
Charlie
Lord Ao

Personally I'd rather someone put SPOILER in as a precautionary measure than not put it in as they think it's unrequired. So far I've had a large part of BG2 ruined through the lack of a simple 7 letter word and I now know more than enough about ToB, completely spoiled before the games even been released. If a poster is unsure if he/she is, or may be spoiling then it's best to err on the side of caution and let the viewer decide whether to continue reading a post or not.

No one is going to miss an important point that may help them by not reading a post. They only need to pose their own specific question and as everyone knows, it will get answered.

My opinion.

------------------
One love, peace.
Old 04-10-2001, 09:30 AM   #9
Zateel
Zhentarim Guard

Memnoch, thanks for your reply. I don't intend to spoil anyone, nor do I know about the NPC. (There's a new NPC? Now I know! Dang it...)the title does beg to be clicked. That is my point exactly about reading where one knows he shouldn't. Spoiling in the post title is intolerable. No one can "choose" not to see that information. They can choose to see what is in the post. Whether the post goes off topic into a spoiler is a whole other matter.

Alas poor Yorick, I have no quarrel with you. I have not spoiled anyone on this board, nor do I ever intend to. Archaeon was "flamed" before he had a chance to apologise or remove his post. Not everyone stays connected to their ISP logged into the forum 24/7. He probably had to go to work or school and removed the post ASAP. I won't break Ironworks rules intentionally (lawful-good, and all that). What bothers me is that it seems people *enjoy* flaming others. If it makes you feel better, go ahead.

Radek, I think you share my thoughts on this matter more than you realize. Reading these same posts you refer to has prompted me to post this message, putting my name/neck on the block in the process. I come to the forum EXPECTING to find information, or at least hoping. If one isn't looking, why is one reading? You have an excellent point, although my reading of your reply makes me think you have misunderstood mine.

------------------
and the flaming sword turning every way, guards the tree of life.
Old 04-10-2001, 12:33 PM   #10
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Quote:
Originally posted by Zateel:

Alas poor Yorick, I have no quarrel with you. I have not spoiled anyone on this board, nor do I ever intend to. Archaeon was "flamed" before he had a chance to apologise or remove his post. Not everyone stays connected to their ISP logged into the forum 24/7. He probably had to go to work or school and removed the post ASAP. I won't break Ironworks rules intentionally (lawful-good, and all that). What bothers me is that it seems people *enjoy* flaming others. If it makes you feel better, go ahead.

Radek, I think you share my thoughts on this matter more than you realize. Reading these same posts you refer to has prompted me to post this message, putting my name/neck on the block in the process. I come to the forum EXPECTING to find information, or at least hoping. If one isn't looking, why is one reading? You have an excellent point, although my reading of your reply makes me think you have misunderstood mine.

Fair enough Zateel

Radek, when I came to the forum it was as a last resort to get some hints about specific problems I'd encountered, not information about plot developments I would come across naturally. Not everyone shares your mindset. People posting respectfully and with the correct spoiler title doesn't affect your gamer, but when people don't it does affect a lot of peoples games.

Sort of like smoking. A non smoker doesn't affect the air of a smoker when he breathes, but a smoker affects a non smoker if he smokes. That's why we have non smoking areas. Well, this is a non spoil area.

------------------
O.K..... what do I do now? Goo goo goo choo?

A fair dinkum laughing Hyena!