Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2002, 04:01 PM   #11
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

The sad thing is that Bush could turn every Mid-east dictatorship into a democracy and could end terrorism forever and these clowns in the nobel commitee would never recognize his accomplishments. And i don't care. The nobel peace prize is a joke. Hell,they gave one to yasser arrafat. And he's a damn murderer.
Old 10-13-2002, 06:41 PM   #12
MagiK

Just a note on Carters role in the Egypt/Israel peace. Sadat and Begin(sp?) were the ones who did the real work, Carter hosted meetings and let them hash things out but had little real input. At least according to what I recal of the issue. Idon't remember reading anything other than the fact that Carter'r role was much like what we saw with President Clinton and his attempts to broker peace in the region, only in Carters case, he was actually working with two parties who seemed to want peace.

Old 10-13-2002, 06:43 PM   #13
MagiK

Yeah giving Arafat a peace prize sort of shed light on the fact that the prize had little at all to do with promoting peace and was just another political tool.

Old 10-13-2002, 06:51 PM   #14
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Amen. Any pretense at merit and impartiality were blown out of the water when the Chairman of the Committee gave his little remark. I loved it when he said that it was a kick in the leg to anyone that follows the Bush policy. Nothing is as annoying and easily ignored than a kick in the leg. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2002, 07:18 PM   #15
Azred
Drow Priestess

This just goes to show that an honest person makes a lousy President. That says a lot. [img]graemlins/beigesmilewinkgrin.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:47 PM   #16
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Actually, the presidency Carter inherited was a no win situation.

I'm thankful Reagan wasn't the Republican candidate in 1976(he was very close to unseating Ford in the primary, but it's hard not to support a sitting president). He would have won, but his plight wouldn't have been much better than Carter's.

The first elected president after Nixon was DOOMED!

[ 10-13-2002, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: Ronn_Bman ]
Old 10-14-2002, 08:38 AM   #17
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:
Actually, the presidency Carter inherited was a no win situation.

I'm thankful Reagan wasn't the Republican candidate in 1976(he was very close to unseating Ford in the primary, but it's hard not to support a sitting president). He would have won, but his plight wouldn't have been much better than Carter's.

The first elected president after Nixon was DOOMED!
I think he might have fared a bit better. Granted Crater did inherit a bunch of problems, but then most presidents do. I think Reagan being a much more decisive man and taking a more "Macho" approach rather than the "turn the other cheek" aproach may have staved off some of the Problems Carter had in his last 2 years in office. Not to mention I think the end of the Cold war may have been moved up a few years.

Of course that is all conjecture and speculation.

[ 10-14-2002, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 10-14-2002, 10:48 AM   #18
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
I don't know about absolute worst presidency, but Carters was ONE of the most dismal performances. I entered the service during Mr. Carters Term in office. I know that the US foreign policy was a joke, his domestic policy a complete failure, economic worries were at an all time high level, military preparedness at an all time low, and the US Military was regarded as a joke world wide.

His restrictions of the CIA and other intelligence gathering organizations set this country back decades and we still have not recovered from the harm he did on that account. The fall of Iran into the rule of religious fanatics/fundamentalist extremists was directly caused by Carters policy, which indirectly led to the Iraqi situation we now have on our hands.

He is a wonderful christian, and a good man by all public accounts, but he made for a lousey world leader. I think his perfect role would have been Secretary of State, not Commander in Chief. As a humanitarian, I think he ranks right up there with the best of them.

His award would have ment more if they had bestowed it for the reason that they promote it for, helping world peace, however the officials have gone out of their way to state that they are awarding it to him to make a "slap" at President Bush. I wonder if any one has asked Mr. Carter how he feels being told he was being awarded a Nobel Prize just so that someone can make a personal statement?
Yes, it's a shame the comment regarding President Bush was made. Carter had rights to the award on his own, and didn't need President Bush's help.

As for Carter's humanitarian efforts - quite good. You slam his foreign policy, but that was likely the one aspect of his Presidency that was undeniably on-track - and is, incidentally, a big reason he recieved the award.

He will not be seen by history as the best President for at-home matters, and it has been said more than once that his foreign efforts too much overshadowed domestic efforts. But, as for the economy, I believe IIRC it was during his presidency that we were first dealing with stagflation - a new economic threat that defied both the Smith and Keynes economic models. I'll also defend some of his restrictions on the CIA - to a point. Though I think he was a bit *too* restrictive, I also think President Bush's recent campaign will show us the perils of not being at least *somewhat* restrictive.
Old 10-14-2002, 10:59 AM   #19
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by khazadman:
The sad thing is that Bush could turn every Mid-east dictatorship into a democracy and could end terrorism forever and these clowns in the nobel commitee would never recognize his accomplishments. And i don't care.
The Noble Peace prize is more directed at people that solve problems through mediation, not war.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:10 AM   #20
john
Drizzt Do'Urden

God bless Jimmy Carter.It just goes to show you that you can't be a good christian man and be a good politician.It's like mixing oil and water.And who could say Raegan was a great pres. god he slept through his last term and let the puppet masters run the country.