Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-04-2001, 05:22 PM   #21
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

no idea why, just know that i dont do it [img]smile.gif[/img] . studied writing and grammar rules too long to mess up like that!
Old 12-04-2001, 05:25 PM   #22
Tabitha Silverwill
Dungeon Master

Just a small point on the Pre Menstrual Syndrome thing...

As an acronym, one would correctly use PMS as oppose to PMs. Abbreviations should be capitalised.

I hate incorrect apostrophes almost as much as I hate double negatives and lazy people who post (thankfully never on this board) huge diatribes without capital letters, paragraphs, punctuation or anything that would encourage people like me to read beyond the first sentence.

[img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-04-2001, 05:29 PM   #23
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:

The reason is simple, my love. [img]smile.gif[/img] In the UK anyway: they don't really teach grammar in schools any more. Not saying they don't get ANY grammar teaching, just that it is peripheral and 'unimportant'.
But look at it this way.... English was constrained by having Latin grammar imposed upon Anglo-Saxon. Now, we are going into a grammar free-fall which allows a greater growth in the language......
Well....... maybe!

That's true. We didn't get taught any grammar when I was at school, well not in any comprehensive manner anyway. It's a shame really, it's one thing having a dynamic language where new words can be made up, but I personally hate seeing incorrect punctuation.

On a similar topic, I must say I enjoy hearing all these new verbs people (especially sports commentators) make up. The other day someone was said to be 'box-seating'
Old 12-04-2001, 05:39 PM   #24
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

quote:
Originally posted by Aelia Jusa:

That's true. We didn't get taught any grammar when I was at school, well not in any comprehensive manner anyway. It's a shame really, it's one thing having a dynamic language where new words can be made up, but I personally hate seeing incorrect punctuation.

On a similar topic, I must say I enjoy hearing all these new verbs people (especially sports commentators) make up. The other day someone was said to be 'box-seating'

I'm terribly torn about the way language is changing. Part of me is screaming "No! No! Its not MEANT to be like that! It should be like THIS.....!"
And the other part of me is saying "Yippee! Go, man, go! Innovation forever!"
Maybe its just my Piscean nature showing... Or my age!
Old 12-04-2001, 05:44 PM   #25
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
quote:

I'm terribly torn about the way language is changing. Part of me is screaming "No! No! Its not MEANT to be like that! It should be like THIS.....!"
And the other part of me is saying "Yippee! Go, man, go! Innovation forever!"
Maybe its just my Piscean nature showing... Or my age!

Well new words have been being made up for millenia, all languages are dynamic, I don't think it's any different now, relatively anyway. And some words that were once considered colloquial are common usage now. I was going to write I like the way people are 'verbifying' nouns, but I didn't want to shock anyone lol
Old 12-04-2001, 06:57 PM   #26
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

quote:
My apostrophe mistakes are usually regarding its and it's. It is only recently that I have stopped putting in an apostrophe when it wasn't a possesive...!

This I always found confusing, because it seems it should be "it's" for "it is" and for possessive usage, but there are more exceptions than rules in the English language.

I always knew it was only to be used with omission or possession, but could never remember which...lol [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2001, 04:14 AM   #27
Vampire

You tell'em Silver Cheetah. We the English will not stand by and see our age old language devoluted and polluted by incorrect usage! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2001, 06:02 AM   #28
Argus
The Magister

Hmmm, hate to be the cynical one here...but maybe the advertisers used the misplaced punctuation or poor spelling on purpose? After all, the goal of advertising is to attract people's attention. Maybe some clever ad agent thought that they would differentiate their ad from the myriad of ads surrounding it by inserting poor punctuation or spelling mistakes. People would therefore immediately pull-up and read the ad as they subconsciously detect that something about the ad is demanding their attention, or "not quite right". The conspiracy continues...
Old 12-05-2001, 08:18 AM   #29
Fljotsdale

quote:
Originally posted by Argus:
Hmmm, hate to be the cynical one here...but maybe the advertisers used the misplaced punctuation or poor spelling on purpose? After all, the goal of advertising is to attract people's attention. Maybe some clever ad agent thought that they would differentiate their ad from the myriad of ads surrounding it by inserting poor punctuation or spelling mistakes. People would therefore immediately pull-up and read the ad as they subconsciously detect that something about the ad is demanding their attention, or "not quite right". The conspiracy continues...

I might go for that...... IF the general population actually noticed the mistakes, lol! Most people accept 'em as correct! Gaaaahhhhh!!
Old 12-05-2001, 08:23 AM   #30
Fljotsdale

quote:
Originally posted by Ronn_Bman:

This I always found confusing, because it seems it should be "it's" for "it is" and for possessive usage, but there are more exceptions than rules in the English language.

I always knew it was only to be used with omission or possession, but could never remember which...lol [img]smile.gif[/img]

*Clutches forehead* TELL me about it - not! At least America sort of rationalised some of the English spelling! I hover between thinking it a good thing and loyally sticking with traditional English spelling! I PREFER the spelling COLOR, for example, but continue to use COLOUR. I'm just a crazy mixed up old lady, lol!