Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 09-23-2006, 10:23 PM   #1
Lavindathar
Harper

Ok, as my source of income I've been doing a lot of farming with my Necro.

I've either been using

a) 55 SS build farming Hydra's solo.

Result - After about half an hours farming, after selling all useless items to merch I come away with about 1.5k. I also, on average get 1 gold every run. They never really amount to anything. Bad point - No green bosses.

b) ORO Farming in SF

Use a full health MM build in here. Sometimes come away with greens, but recently not been doing. Takes about an hour and I net about 2k after all the items. I've seen a load of golds dropping, but not for me at the mo. And the gold drops here on average will be worth more than option A, and less than option C. Done a load of runs too. Obviously I stay here for when that valuable gold does drop, or I get one of the expensive greens. Best I've got so far is Drago's Recurve Bow, and that's only worth 5k. I still go to hold out for a good gold, or Drago's Flatbow or Rago's Fire Staff. A big advantage here is the fact there are 10 green bosses to fight. Done this with the normal 5 man oro setup and the ranger barrage build.

c) Tomb Of The Kings (New Underworld)

Same again, full health MM build. Takes about an hour and a half to do fully, and I net about 3k after useless items have been sold. Virtually guaranteed a green at the end, but none of them (bar Victo's stuff) is worth anything. I got the Ogre Slaying Knife today. Sold for 3k. Meh. The obvious benefit here is that Ecto's can drop. I got two today, and bought Ghials staff for 15k + 2 ecto's. So it does make money, but it's long and your prone to leavers. A few golds drop, but still not for me. But chances are, when golds drop here, they're worth more than the previous two options. Done this with the Ranger Barrage team build.

So, out of the above three, what do you guys do? If any? And after my analysis, what would you go for?

BUT

There is an option D.

Being FoW and the Old UW.

I've never been in here, for quests or for farming. And I'm considering giving it a try. I'm an expert I'd say at the first three options, I go through holding my own and coming out with what I need (except the golds and greens [img]tongue.gif[/img] ). But FoW is different.

So a few questions -

a) How long does the two area's take to complete a run on?
b) What is the average amount of cash made after selling off useless items?
c) Do golds seem to drop frequently, and I assume when they do they'd be more valuable than all otehr options?
d) How many green bosses are in there? And are the items valuable? (For instance, SF greens on average are more valuable than the New Underworld.
e)How often does Ecto/Shards drop?

f)In the UW/FoW the 5 man team substitues the MM in an ORO team for a Nuker. That means the only way I'd get in is by going SS. I only really play SS when I'm 55, so I don't know how to play SS on a full build. Could you list your full SS builds for me here, and some brief guidelines?

f) I know it's possible to Solo the UW in a two man party, one being a smiting monk. IIRC, the 2nd man can either be a 55 SS Necro (one im good at) or a 55 tank. Is that right? And if so, how would it differ for me having a partner when I'm 55?

I think that's all for now, sorry for writing so much, but please take the time to read through it and respond.

Thanx,

Brad

[ 09-23-2006, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: Lavindathar ]
Old 09-24-2006, 05:51 AM   #2
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

FoW takes about 3-4 hours leisurely, UW takes up to 6. If you salvage the useless white items, you will end up with hundreds of crafting materials. The golds drop like in any high-level area, but these are mroe expensive. There are no green bosses in FoW or UW, only in the NeoUW(former Tombs). Ectos and Shards drop every now and then, kinda rareish. I will not assist in making cookie-cutter farming builds.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:20 AM   #3
Lavindathar
Harper

I don't want any secret builds etc, just a general SS build I can get by on and some guidelines.

Once Im in there I'll see what its like and be able to modify the build to suit me best.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:14 AM   #4
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

You didn't get my point. I refuse to offer cookie cutter builds not because they're some big and all powerful secret of mine, but because I despise them.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:46 AM   #5
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

If you really want a build, go by gwguru, Lavindathar. There's several posted there plus multiple threads about farming, etc.

I'm with Bozo. I loathe using cookie-cutter builds. Even when I try a new build (such as the "Bunny Thumper"), I tinker with what works best for me, referring to the cookie-cutter as a base template idea.

I almost convinced a group in Naphui mission a couple days ago that my lava-rock-thrower 'nuker-Lite' was superior to the usual nuker build! I was pulling extremely respectable damage. At the least, there's a few more people willing to contemplate there is a different way to play an ele other than Meteor and its clones.

Do you really need to make money? Farming is just so blase. Granted, I've played a full year, but I keep a steady 85 - 100K in storage (the lower end right now since Minau just got Kurzick ele armor - amber is expensive when you don't farm it). None of it came from farming, none of it from high sales of anything (the only 'high' sale I ever did was a perfect air staff - which I wish now I'd kept - *months* ago for 20K that I promptly bought a sigil and guild hall with for our guild). Just plain old questing and/or helping other people in missions or quests. My girls all have superb weaponry (some of it non-'perfect', but perfect for them!) and armor I really like, appropriate for them (that includes 15K where applicable).

[ 09-24-2006, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: Garnet FalconDance ]
Old 09-24-2006, 10:02 AM   #6
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by Lavindathar:

d) How many green bosses are in there? And are the items valuable? (For instance, SF greens on average are more valuable than the New Underworld.
e)How often does Ecto/Shards drop?

f)In the UW/FoW the 5 man team substitues the MM in an ORO team for a Nuker. That means the only way I'd get in is by going SS. I only really play SS when I'm 55, so I don't know how to play SS on a full build. Could you list your full SS builds for me here, and some brief guidelines?

f) I know it's possible to Solo the UW in a two man party, one being a smiting monk. IIRC, the 2nd man can either be a 55 SS Necro (one im good at) or a 55 tank. Is that right? And if so, how would it differ for me having a partner when I'm 55?
Thought I'd address a couple of these points directly.

As far as how many greens are in any given area, go to guildwiki. They have all the greens listed and the location, etc.

The price of most greens has dropped drastically DUE TO FARMING. (Do you see a problem with your trying to use this as a money-maker now?) Some still command a decent price, but very few.

Ectos have even basically bottomed out price-wise compared to what they have been. Guess why. From what I've seen, most seek out ectos and shards for their own armor, not to make a lot of gold, although I could be wrong (and most certainly am in some cases). I do know it is VERY tiring and irritating to be trying to get into a PuG for UW or FoW for the quests when nearly everyone wants to make chest runs or farm shards/ectos. While there are certainly really good drops/chest contents, more often than not, there's not the 'perfect'.

I've not played a full SS build, but my healer did use SS as her defensive. Basically, you want to redirect as much damage back to the originator as possible.

From guildwiki:
"The SS necromancer's job is to carefully administer Spiteful Spirit on foes so that as many foes as possible drop at the same time. If the 55 monk does a solid job piling up foes, then Spiteful Spirit placed on two of them can take out the entire group in a matter of seconds"

"The SS necromancer is in charge of killing, and must utilize his skills in the way that takes out the most dangerous foes first"

The recommended two necro SS builds tend to be either N/Me or N/Mo. Go investigating at guildwiki.org . The rest of the discovery process is up to you .
Old 09-24-2006, 11:08 AM   #7
Lavindathar
Harper

Thanx for the input.

But like I said, I wan't someone to list an example build so that then I can make alterations due to what I need.

And yes farming is the best way to make money for me, and the ecto's wudnt be sold.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:49 AM   #8
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

Since I do not play a straight SS (yet ) nor do I farm, I will refer you -- AGAIN -- to guildwiki.

http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/N/Me_SS_Nuker

And for the 55 build examples:
http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Team_-_55/SS

http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/Team_-_55/SS_FoW

http://gw.gamewikis.org/wiki/N/Mo_55hp_Solo_Necromancer
Old 09-24-2006, 12:48 PM   #9
Lavindathar
Harper

I've already read them previously, but I don't have Factions and my secondary profession is Monk.

I'll work it out myself its ok.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:28 PM   #10
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Sorry, Can't help with farming to much. The ONLY famring I do is.

1. Troll XP Farming out side of droks
2. Ettin Rune Farming in Kryda

Both are mainly to unlock runes or get some more skill points not for money.

Been meaning to try out a Mandid farming run in Pong mei Valley but that wouldn't hep ya as you don't have factions.

Green Farming is useless in Sorrows or Tombs as most of those greens have been farmed to death.

[ 09-24-2006, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: T-D-C ]