Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2001, 01:49 AM   #1
Shagrat The Half Orc

I recently did the sorc stronghold quest where i train the mages. I saved and tried different scenarios until I finally came to conclusion that i should get the wizard ring (extra 5th, 6th , and 7th spells) or the staff of power(+2 ac +2 saving throws, 10 charges of globe of invulnerability, 10 charges of lightning attack that stuns without save vs throw). I went with the staff, though now i wish i went with ring cause charges on staff run out. What do u think, which item is better???

Old 10-22-2001, 02:19 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

The ring is better, you want a good mage staff? Go visit the Twisted Rune. Although the good path dictates that you tell your students not to make any items in their third and final test. If you are evil though, then choose the ring.
Old 10-22-2001, 01:02 PM   #3
hagimihale
Manshoon

spoiler
If you tell them to make nothing on their 3rd attempt, all three will live and there will be a graduation ceremony. A little later in the strongold quests... one of the apprentices will return to you fulltime and make a set of potions each week.

If you have them make anything in the 3rd attempt (or the most powerful item in the first or 2nd attempt) at least 1 of your apprentices will die and thus there is no graduation ceremony and the apprentice doesn't return to you.

HOWEVER, the benefit to having the apprentice working for you is only worth it if you do the Planar Sphere relatively early in chapter 2. I made the mistake of doing it very late in chapter 2, and barely finished all the subquests before I left Athlatka for Spellhold. From what I understand, after you return to Athlatka there isn't much gametime left and thus there isn't as much time for the apprentice to make you potions.
Old 10-22-2001, 03:41 PM   #4
Istaron
Banned User

You can get the Ring of Wizardy by doing jaheiras Harper Quest... it is not nessecary to kill two of your Apprentices.

------------------
We call him Bobby Corwen
Old 10-22-2001, 08:53 PM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Istaron:
You can get the Ring of Wizardy by doing jaheiras Harper Quest... it is not nessecary to kill two of your Apprentices.
Yeah you could, but that means you have to have her in your party and I do not want her.
Old 10-23-2001, 02:45 AM   #6
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

I just took jaheira into my party, slept until she started talking about the harpers, did the quest, and dumped her. worked well.
Old 10-23-2001, 03:03 AM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by floyd:
I just took jaheira into my party, slept until she started talking about the harpers, did the quest, and dumped her. worked well.
I just hate the idea of her leeching Xp off me. Yeah I know, it is only a little bit of Xp, but I just want her out of my party.

*shrug*

I can live without the Ring of Wizardry, but I cannot live with Jaheira.
Old 10-23-2001, 08:06 AM   #8
frudi_x
Drow Warrior

Staff of Power is nice, but Staff of the Magi is better! so grab the ring and then go drop in on the twisted rune to get the Staff of the Magi.

------------------
Old 10-23-2001, 09:28 AM   #9
ReGiN

Quote:
Originally posted by frudi_x:
Staff of Power is nice, but Staff of the Magi is better! so grab the ring and then go drop in on the twisted rune to get the Staff of the Magi.

What exactly is "the twisted rune"

Old 10-23-2001, 09:40 AM   #10
tusitha

Quote:
Originally posted by ReGiN:
What exactly is "the twisted rune"
A whole new can of beans.....

Seriously though........ SPOILERS AHOY!
The Twisted Rune happens to be a mysterious organisation of pure evil. Their origins are unkown and I'll bet they are somehow associated with those Mind Flayers in the sewers, Reijek (the Skinner Murderer) and Dercin Cole (Flesh Armor). They have can be found in one of the houses near the water's edge in the Bridge District.... you will need a Rogue Stone to enter though. Prepare for one of the toughest (if not THE toughest) battle in BG2 SOA. If you have a mage in your party then you are going to literally jump for joy when you find out a new toy.

Good luck!