Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-01-2001, 02:07 PM   #1
Majin Buu
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello

I'm new to BG2 ( never played 1 either) and I'm having a few problems with my character.

I've made a Half Orc Kensai, I maxed out his dual wield and put the rest into Katana. I also put my additional prof point from leveling into Katana, figuring its best not to "water down" my character.

His stats are
18/71 str ( what the hecks that all about?)
Dex 18
Const 19

He is currently using two 1+ Katanas.

Here is my problem, I'm running into more and more creatures who are imune to hits from none magical weapons, and I've not yet come accross any magical Katanas. I really didn't want any spoilers, but its getting to the point that theres hole areas where I'm useless... heck most of the party is useless as no one has a magical weapon they are prof with. So a few questions

Slight spoiler request: Who do I have to sleep with to get a pair of magical katanas? heh

Should I simply equip the few magical weapons I have/had over the weapons that me and my party members are prof with, simply because they are magic/better stats?

Currently Minsc is using two +1 Flails, my reasoning on equiping him this way is because of his mace and duel wield profs. Heck Jahiera is using a Crappy club found on the first lvl and a Sheild, reasoning once again is because she prof in Sheild/sword and Club.

Again, is my way of thinking way off here? I could use any help that you guys have to offer, thanks ahead of time.

Also more 1 question or so heh, how does delay ratings work in this game? I assumed a lower number is better, but not certain anymore. Lower the ac the better? This line of thought is much different from EQ, where any and all stat numbers are improved by increasing them.
Old 10-01-2001, 02:24 PM   #2
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, firstly, WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!
And to start where you finished, yes, the lower the AC the better, whereas a lot of other things are the other way around.
Well, to actually get any good magical katanas you'll have to wait a while, because as a basic weapon, the katana is one of the best, however, what NPC's do you have apart from Minsc, cause you find some magic weapons others can use, and also, Jaheira is good with scimitars, so you could give her one of them.
Old 10-01-2001, 06:24 PM   #3
deathknight
Drow Warrior

Welcome to the boards

First off I want to point out 1 thing I read in your post that you may want to doublecheck. You said you had minsc wielding 2 flails due to his prof in mace. A flail is not a mace you actually need the flail/morningstar proficiency to wield those so you may be suffering a penalty there. Flail IS a good proficiency to take however as there is at least 1 good flail to get.

Second off I don't want to make you sad or anything but as a half-orc you probably should have boosted your str up to 19 (its the only race that can do that naturally).

Katana's are a great weapon although there is not many out there. One of THE best weapons in the game is a katana however. We could spoil you to the location if you would like although the fight can be difficult.

There are some quests you can do that will get you setup with some decent magic items. They are also great for getting some levels for your chars. Nalia's keep is a nice quest to do early for example.

Now do you not have any magical katana's at all? If not I think you can buy a +1 katana in the adventurers mart. They are expensive but at least you will have a magical one to hold you over.
Old 10-01-2001, 07:40 PM   #4
Majin Buu
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thankyou for the replies and the warm welcome!

Seems my troubles are over... sorta. My wife deleted my games by accident ( how I do not know). Oddly enough its not a huge problem, I enjoy this game so much playing the areas over again won't be a issue, why can't MMORPG's have this much depth? heh

I still like the basic concept for my character... duel wielding Katanas and such. Though now I'm not sure if I should take that route again, I do know mele is for me though. So the +1 Katanas are magical? The Clay/Stone Golems didn't seem impressed in the least by them,I and my party kept yelling "weapon has no effect".I'm Considering a Assasin this time, but if I don't go Assasin it'll be Orc/Kensai no doubt. As for a spoiler on the Katana location, I'd like it. Though if there is a way I could be edged into that direction without a complete spoiler, that'd be nice ) Either way I'm forced to start over again so will be some time.

Thanks again for the welcome!
*wonders how the best game he ever played evaded him so long*
Old 10-01-2001, 07:50 PM   #5
deathknight
Drow Warrior

Yes +1 is magical. Everything in BG II (and in D&D) combat revolves around the THAC0. a +1 sword can hit monsters that can only be hit by +1 weapons which there is plenty of.
Well some monsters need a higher + weapon to hit them. Also some monsters (like golems) are immune or highly resistance to a type of damage. Switching from slashing to crushing damage can make a big difference sometimes. Golems are some of the tougher monsters when it comes to what can damage them.

Long term katana is a great choice due to 1 of the katanas. also you can't really go wrong with flail,longsword and axe (actually it seems there is more abundance of decent axes than anything else but there are not as many extremely powerful axes as there is other stuff).