Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 06-07-2003, 06:20 PM   #1
Gammit
Elminster

I'm doing the first main quest for the town entitled "The Butcher." I have located the Butcher, and then... well... he kicks my butt... repeatedly. I am playing as a rogue. I've tried going to Diablo sites to look for help, but can only see "he's easy, so just kill him."

My strategies thus far includ firing magic or arrows at him and running away, and going toe-to-toe with him. Either way, once he gets close enough, he starts beating me down with his axe faster than I can click on him.

Any help? I hate this guy...
Old 06-07-2003, 07:00 PM   #2
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Back when I started playing Diablo 1, this guy SCARED me, alot.

But there is realy no trick to deafeting him. Just let him in his room and explore the 3rd level, and when you are a little higher in level and more powerfull you can come back and kill him.

Edit: Another thing, don't go to town in the middle of fighting him, that will heal him.

[ 06-07-2003, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 06-07-2003, 07:59 PM   #3
andrewas
Harper

hes easy, so just kill him

Well, it works for warriors at least. For rogues (and moreso for wizards) you wont be taking this guy on toe to toe for a while. But he cant open doors, so go find a wall you can shoot through that has a door in it. Let him out, run like hell, close the door and pepper with arrorws.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:06 PM   #4
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Yep, just run away through a door, close it behind you and pepper the ugly bugger with whatever ranged weapon you have through the bars. Works a treat.

Also, while we are on the subject, be sure to check out the Hellfire add-on and activate the command.txt "easter egg" for extra characters/quests. There is nothing quite as satisfying as running a Bard with a KSoH and a KSoB.

Have fun [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 06-07-2003, 09:07 PM: Message edited by: Mouse ]

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 10:57 AM   #5
Nightowl2
Galvatron

The butcher is pretty tough for so early in the game. However, the advice above is good, especially for a rogue. Of course, you can do the same for any of the classes, it just will take a bit longer. I would give my sorcerer a bow early on and he would shoot through windows at critters. Great savings in mana there That was just for the wimpy ones on the upper levels. Once he had some good spells, he would use magic.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 12:19 PM   #6
Rimjaw
Red Wizard of Thay

Here's the easiest way. Get a Scroll of Nova (unless you already have the spell), it will kill him in one shot. You'll have to time it right though.

[ 06-08-2003, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Rimjaw ]
Rimjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 05:50 PM   #7
Gammit
Elminster

Awesome. Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll try the thru-the-window-with-arrows manuever next.

There's a 3rd level to this dungeon?
Old 06-08-2003, 06:57 PM   #8
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Gammit:
Awesome. Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll try the thru-the-window-with-arrows manuever next.

There's a 3rd level to this dungeon?
Humm... yes, you still have a few levels left to expore in there.
Old 06-08-2003, 10:34 PM   #9
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

yep... a few. [img]smile.gif[/img]

i went toe-to-toe with the butcher... of course... i was a warrior...

rogues.. find those areas with doors and grills as walls... so you can prison yourself and shoot arrows... it's going to take a LONG time...
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 03:36 AM   #10
Gammit
Elminster

Bamn, Butcher went down!!! It took FOREVER to get him in a position where I could rain my death by arrows on him... but it worked. Thanks, guys!