Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-29-2001, 07:16 AM   #1
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

This is to combat all those people out there who have started to come out as Aerie fans. We ask the simple question:

WHY??????

Which I think is fair enough myself. My hatred of Aerie as a character comes from three simple points:

1. Edwin, Nalia, Jan, and Imoen are all better mages.
2. Anomen, Viconia, Jaheira, and Cernd are all better priests.
and
3. EVERYONE is a better fighter (even Jan will last longer in a fight than Aerie).

Pretty good reasons for not wanting her in your party in my veiw. Feel free to add to this list, but please keep it clean guys.

------------------
Life is like a piece of cheese. Mice only enjoy it in cartoons and it is better with toast
Old 10-29-2001, 07:18 AM   #2
ReGiN

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
This is to combat all those people out there who have started to come out as Aerie fans. We ask the simple question:

WHY??????

Which I think is fair enough myself. My hatred of Aerie as a character comes from three simple points:

1. Edwin, Nalia, Jan, and Imoen are all better mages.
2. Anomen, Viconia, Jaheira, and Cernd are all better priests.
and
3. EVERYONE is a better fighter (even Jan will last longer in a fight than Aerie).

Pretty good reasons for not wanting her in your party in my veiw. Feel free to add to this list, but please keep it clean guys.

I hope this mis-guided creature soon realizes his mistake and crawls up to Aerie on his bare knees, and begs for forgiveness!

------------------

I saw the movie, but I didn't think the action scenes were THAT good.

[This message has been edited by ReGiN (edited 10-29-2001).]

Old 10-29-2001, 07:29 AM   #3
Shagrat The Half Orc

I just beat the game with Aerie in my party for first time, in her last statement to Irenicus before we kill him she sounded more like what Viconia would sound like when angered rather than her whiny, kind-hearted, usual self...maybe she has some potential after all... haha no JK there could never be any potential for such a whiny, pathetic creature

Old 10-29-2001, 07:42 AM   #4
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Never gonna happen ReGin. She would probably get scared and run away. But seriously, why do you guys like her quite so much. As far as I can tell she has absolutely nothing going for her unless you tool her up. Most of the other characters are good without all the special equipment.

------------------
Life is like a piece of cheese. Mice only enjoy it in cartoons and it is better with toast
Old 10-29-2001, 07:53 AM   #5
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Never gonna happen ReGin. She would probably get scared and run away. But seriously, why do you guys like her quite so much. As far as I can tell she has absolutely nothing going for her unless you tool her up. Most of the other characters are good without all the special equipment.

Not quite true. I think what most people like about her is her versatility - she can cast both Cleric and Mage Spells (especially handy when using Contingencies or Chain Contingencies), and she can be a decent enough character. In one of my current games, I haven't yet picked up Imoen, so I have given Aerie the Robe of Vecna. She is also wearing the Ioun Stone that gives bonus to AC, the Fortress Shield (she has enough strength because she has the Mauler's Arm Mace equipped), Bracers of Defense AC 3, Amulet of Power, and some more decent stuff and I now have her AC down to -5 and her spellcasting speed is incredible. If you are playing a good party, you cannot take Viconia as a cleric, so if you don't want Anomen for some reason (), Aerie is the only option left.

But anyway, this has all been said time and time again, and I really do think you are just posting all this for the purpose of having a nice argument rather than because you actually care.

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet,
High Queen of Fluffies,
Archbabe of the OHF,
LH, HADB and ORT!

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art
Old 10-29-2001, 08:05 AM   #6
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

I'm new here Melusine - sorry if this has been said before. I actually quite like Anomen as he rocks in combat as well as having more spells than his wisdom should really allow (what is with that by the way?). Okay so you can combine two people in one character but only at the expense of the finer points of both. Edwin is the god as far as mage spells are concerned although I can understand why people don't like him in their party. But even Jan is a better mage than Aerie in my opinion as he gets all that damage resistance from his rather cool armour.
In general I just don't like the idea of having a character purely because they are good when tooled up. Call me a purist but some of the joy fo the game is the fact that the characters themselves are quite good. Here endeth the 3rd rant according to Barry.

------------------
Old 10-29-2001, 08:20 AM   #7
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
I'm new here Melusine - sorry if this has been said before. I actually quite like Anomen as he rocks in combat as well as having more spells than his wisdom should really allow (what is with that by the way?). Okay so you can combine two people in one character but only at the expense of the finer points of both. Edwin is the god as far as mage spells are concerned although I can understand why people don't like him in their party. But even Jan is a better mage than Aerie in my opinion as he gets all that damage resistance from his rather cool armour.
In general I just don't like the idea of having a character purely because they are good when tooled up. Call me a purist but some of the joy fo the game is the fact that the characters themselves are quite good. Here endeth the 3rd rant according to Barry.

OK, I can see where you're coming from, but no one's going to play the game without "tooling up" their characters, right? I mean, I haven't given Aerie all my best equipment just to get her to a decent level, I always even it out, and try to give each the equipment that fits them best.
I actually don't find Anomen as horrible as I expected - I do agree the soundset is extremely annoying, but purely charactre-wise he is decent enough. I checked the percentage of kills he had in the party, and he was second best after Minsc and my own Cleric of Lathander. About the low wisdom that he has:
SPOILER coming up....
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
If you complete his quest and he is initiated into the Order, he will become lawful good as well as gain 4 statpoints to his wisdom.

------------------
Melusine, Sultry Elflet,
High Queen of Fluffies,
Archbabe of the OHF,
LH, HADB and ORT!

Your voice is ambrosia
Amy Brown Fantasy Art
Old 10-29-2001, 09:08 AM   #8
ReGiN

Aerie is VERY good.
Not only for the reason that she can cast both cleric and mage spells, she is also so cuddly and cute!
I must say I love her...and have proven it several times in the game...

Old 10-29-2001, 09:12 AM   #9
Shagrat The Half Orc

Yep, see, i told u shes a whore...

Old 10-29-2001, 09:47 AM   #10
Ares

She may be a whore but she is a nice-cute whore
I personally like her because she almost never runs out of spells if you give her items that let her have more spells for 1-7 lvl

------------------