Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-13-2001, 12:05 PM   #1
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

ive been severely tweaking my games with new kits, spells, npc's, quests, and items just to add to the replayability. much more and i could put out an expansion

to the point, both to test my abilities and reward creativity, id like to make a kit that [\i]somebody else[\i] wants done.

first, describe the kit, what class it belongs to, and most importantly, tell why it should exist. in other words, justify it in contrast to the already available ones.

next, give as many specifics as you want. race and class restrictions, weapons proficiencies, ability scores needed, etc. offhand id say dont limit it to just humans as they already have unlimited access to every kit.

finally give the innate abilities it should have. fyi, any ability or effect that any item or spell has can be duplicated as an innate ability, so do NOT replicate innates that another kit already has.

im looking for creativity here so making a kit that looks like an already existing class(es) or kit wont work.

as an example, here's one im fond of:
Spirit Walker: mage kit, min 17 INT 16 WIS, no missile weapons, limited to 4 spells per level but has increased casting speed and can cast +2 spells/level, cannot wear ANY type of armor (cloak, robe, bracer), permanent detect invisible (like a lich), healing spells/potions do not work, once per day can irenicus-ize (spells cast one after the other) for one round (fatigued after), immune to hold, +4 to poison saves
Old 09-13-2001, 03:04 PM   #2
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

In name, "Sorceror" is not a new class. But there was a "New Spell Caster Kit" in my mind for some time. I thinked a lot for its name. And I decided to describe it as "Sorceror" So forget about the "Sorceror" class in Baldur's Gate 2 and 3rd Edition and take a look to this class below.

Sorceror: Sorcerors cast spells with the magical energy within. Legends tell that they possess draconian blood. True or false, they have a potential power within which lets them cast spells without spellbook. They don't memorize spells, they don't use scrolls. They cast spells with their magic potential.

A Level 1 Sorceror starts with 10 spell points. He cast spells with these spell points. For example, a 1st level spell costs 10 spell points, a 3rd level spell costs 30 spell points. A 6th level Sorceror has 60 spell points, (if he doesn't have bonus spell points, High Intelligence gives you bonus spell points) so he/she can cast 1 fireball and 3 magic missile or 4 burning hands and 1 mirror image. They gain new spells as they advance levels.

A sorceror gains extra HP and SP when he advances level. He gains additional 10 + Int - 15 spell points.

The difference between The Sorcerors and Mages is their spell casting style and form. A 16th level Mage can cast five 1st, 2rd ,3rd ,4rd level spell; four 5th level spells; three 6th and 7th level spells and one 8th level spells. The total is 31 but a 16th level Sorceror doesn't have 310 spell points. A 16th level Sorceror with 17 Intelligence has 192 spell points. So there's a penalty for quantity of spells and an advantage for spell selection. You don't worry about "Oh Why I didn't memorized this spell!" Also you don't have a horrible spell quantity limitation like other Sorceror class; you don't gain only 1 new spell per level.

I'm still making some corrections with numbers like additional SP should be more or less, or A sorceror should gain more SP as he advanced a new level etc, feel free to share your ideas with me..

For example, I'm thinking about 2 alternatives for new spells per level.

- You gain 1 + (Int - 15) new spell. So If your intelligence is 18 you got 4 new spells as you advance a level.
- You gain all spells like clerics but you have to choose 2 opposite schools which are opposite between them. (Like Illusion and Necromancy)

Racial Requirements

Only Humans, Half-Elves and Elves can become Sorcerors.

Ability Requirements

CON 13
INT 15
CHA 15

Weapon Proficiencies

They can be proficient with dagger, club, schimitar, spear, sling, staff and dart. A Sorceror who wields an item which has "Dragon Slayer" ability takes 2 hp damage and as a reflex; drops the item instantly.

Class Features

They gain an extra +1 to their saving throws for Breath Weapon per 3 levels.

They gain %1 resistance against fire,acid and posion.

hhma
Old 09-17-2001, 06:45 PM   #3
Zhakrin
Elite Waterdeep Guard

How about an Anti-Paladin, they'd have the same requirements and limitations as a normal paladin, but must be Chaotic evil, and instead of lay hands, They'd have a cause wounds ability.
Old 09-17-2001, 06:53 PM   #4
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Good idea Zhakrin, a kit as "Dark Paladin" or "Black/Death/Dread Knight" sounds good. But for alignment they could be "lawful evil" in my opinion.

------------------

"Not for your eyes only, also for your beautiful ears.."

Yngwie J. Amadeus Zoltan "Diamond Knight of Aerie Lovers Sacred Band"
Old 09-17-2001, 08:31 PM   #5
Haddar - Servant of Talos
The Magister

Zoltan, I would like to see that "Spellcaster"-kit of yours. Can you or Amergin make it? I would really like to play it, cause I agree with you Zoltan: a big part of the pleasure in playing a mage, is the variety of spells you can choose from. (I read about this kit of yours somewhere else, but I don't remember where) =)
Old 09-17-2001, 09:16 PM   #6
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

i actually implemented something like zoltan's idea when i used to dm. i think a system based on points was more logical. the problem is that to implement that in bg would be impossible. think of binary; everything in this game is either on or off; to do a system where casting a spell drew from a pool of available points would at the least require an entire script, and a convoluted one at that. i wish there were a way to transfer spell casting ability between spell levels (like a 5th level character would have, say, 13 spell points plus bonus points from INT, to be spent as one 3rd, 2 2nd, and 3 1st, or 3 3rd, 1 2nd, and 3 1st, etc).

the anti-paladin would be incredibly easy to make. unfortunately its not terribly original. youd be better off just using shadowkeeper to change the innates around. check around on the links page. im pretty sure theres a dark paladin kit out there (mb potencius' site?).
Old 09-17-2001, 09:52 PM   #7
Nanobyte
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I have the 3rd edition DMG here, and I can give you a few Prestige classes from there if you like. You could convert them from 3rd to 2nd. I also have the PH, which has some pretty interesting classes in there also. Alas, I forgot my Dragon magazine! About 5 more in there. So I could give you close to 20 other classes, if you like..

------------------
"In the year of the new century and nine months,
From the sky will come a great King of Terror.
The sky will burn at forty-five degrees.
Fire approaches the great new city

In the city of york there will be a great collapse,
2 twin brothers torn apart by chaos
while the fortress falls; the great leader will succumb;
the third big war will begin when the big city is burning"

-Nostradamus

[This message has been edited by Nanobyte (edited 09-17-2001).]
Old 09-17-2001, 10:52 PM   #8
Encard
Quintesson

How does this sound?

Soul Reaver
Fighter
The Soul Reaver is a warrior who has been trained to be able to see past an enemy’s skin and flesh and bone, as an ordinary warrior sees, and into their soul. His extensive knowledge of the spirit gives him some power over his enemys’ souls and some protection from spells that affect the soul. However, due to his study of these other arts, he is not as proficient in combat as is a warrior, and he can only use a sword, which is symbolic of the thin blade that, in the teachings of the Reaver elders, cuts the soul from the body after death.

Race: Human, Elf, Half-Elf
Must be of Neutral or Evil alignment

Can use: Long Sword or Bastard Sword, with up to two proficiency in each.
May not dual-wield or use a shield, however, they gain a natural +1 to their THAC0 and to damage, and they get critical hits at a roll of 19 or 20. They may also put proficiencies into single weapon style.

Abilities:
-2 to Charisma
+1 Dexterity
Must have at least 16 Dexterity and 16 Intelligence

Innate:
Devour Soul:
Level 20
This skill allows the Reaver to devour a potion of his enemy’s soul, causing extreme pain and injury.
Once per day.
High damage (20d10, maybe?) and a 3d8 HP heal.
Soul Seeker:
Level 8
This skill allows the Reaver to sense the location of his enemy’s soul, and thus to be better able to target his enemy.
Once per day for every 10 levels of the Reaver.
Gives a bonus to THAC0, maybe 1 per 4 levels, lasting 1 round for every 4 levels of the Reaver.
Unbind Soul:
Level 15
This skill allows the Reaver to free a soul that has been used to animate an undead creature or a soul that has been bound to service through a summoning spell.
Once per day for every 15 levels.
Has a high chance, maybe 80% or so, of instantly killing one summon/undead. However, this doesn’t work on liches or gated creatures like Planetars, Pit Fiends, etc. Magic Resistance does not apply.
Rending Blade:
Level 15
This skill allows the Reaver to imbue his blade with a powerful energy that is the bane of the mortal spirit, and which tears at the soul of the victim when it touches them. Needless to say, a weapon imbued with this energy will be much more deadly in combat than it would ordinarily be.
Once per day for every 15 levels of the Reaver
Gives a damage bonus of 1 per every 5 levels of the Reaver, and lasts 1 round for every 5 levels of the Reaver.

Soul Reavers gain 1% resistance per level to spells such as Finger of Death and other Necromantic magic of this type. I have no idea how this would be implemented into BG2, though. Maybe just giving them a modified Death Ward type innate ability would be better.

------------------
Lord of the RaBid Fruit Trees. ChAos rules all! Bwahahahaha...

[This message has been edited by Encard (edited 09-17-2001).]
Old 09-17-2001, 11:39 PM   #9
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Encard:
How does this sound?

Soul Reaver
Fighter
The Soul Reaver is a warrior who has been trained to be able to see past an enemy’s skin and flesh and bone, as an ordinary warrior sees, and into their soul. His extensive knowledge of the spirit gives him some power over his enemys’ souls and some protection from spells that affect the soul. However, due to his study of these other arts, he is not as proficient in combat as is a warrior, and he can only use a sword, which is symbolic of the thin blade that, in the teachings of the Reaver elders, cuts the soul from the body after death.
great start. maybe a little history of the elders, the culture they belonged to, and why theyre not around anymore (or are they?)
Quote:

Race: Human, Elf, Half-Elf
Must be of Neutral or Evil alignment
no good because of what? do they have a creed they follow? a vow they take?
Quote:

Can use: Long Sword or Bastard Sword, with up to two proficiency in each.
May not dual-wield or use a shield, however, they gain a natural +1 to their THAC0 and to damage, and they get critical hits at a roll of 19 or 20. They may also put proficiencies into single weapon style.
i like the restrictive weapons but perhaps include two-handed swords and two-handed weapon specialization. id also leave out the combat mods as they are just duplicates of weapon/specialization slots anyway. maybe something like +1 to critical hits (at a certain level) so single weapon spec would crithit on 18-20 rather than 19-20. with the weapons being so limited it needs a bit more bite in combat without turning into something too much like a kensai.
Quote:

Abilities:
-2 to Charisma
+1 Dexterity
Must have at least 16 Dexterity and 16 Intelligence
personally i loathe kits that modify stats. as far as bg goes, any CHA mod is useless and considering that the game allows for class minimums, getting a high INT (normally sacrificed for pnp fighters) isnt much of a restriction (consider that paladins average far higher stats than normal fighters).
Quote:

Innate:
Devour Soul:
Level 20
This skill allows the Reaver to devour a potion of his enemy’s soul, causing extreme pain and injury.
Once per day.
High damage (20d10, maybe?) and a 3d8 HP heal.
this reminds me of elric's stormbringer. how about a chance of level drain (based on the char's level) and applying the damage as a heal on him? definitely just once per day for 2-5(?) rounds. maybe a chance he goes berserk during (chance lessens with experience). fatigued afterwards.
Quote:

Soul Seeker:
Level 8
This skill allows the Reaver to sense the location of his enemy’s soul, and thus to be better able to target his enemy.
Once per day for every 10 levels of the Reaver.
Gives a bonus to THAC0, maybe 1 per 4 levels, lasting 1 round for every 4 levels of the Reaver.
would this work against soulless creatures such as undead? could probably just apply a flat point modifier (like +4) that would negate the penalties of attacking an invisible/blurred creature.
Quote:

Unbind Soul:
Level 15
This skill allows the Reaver to free a soul that has been used to animate an undead creature or a soul that has been bound to service through a summoning spell.
Once per day for every 15 levels.
Has a high chance, maybe 80% or so, of instantly killing one summon/undead. However, this doesn’t work on liches or gated creatures like Planetars, Pit Fiends, etc. Magic Resistance does not apply.
in essence a "banish animal/monster/undead" package; apropos and doable.
Quote:

Rending Blade:
Level 15
This skill allows the Reaver to imbue his blade with a powerful energy that is the bane of the mortal spirit, and which tears at the soul of the victim when it touches them. Needless to say, a weapon imbued with this energy will be much more deadly in combat than it would ordinarily be.
Once per day for every 15 levels of the Reaver
Gives a damage bonus of 1 per every 5 levels of the Reaver, and lasts 1 round for every 5 levels of the Reaver.
boiled down this is a +3 damage bonus for 3 rounds at levels 15-29. not a very unique or powerful ability. at this point maybe he needs something to weaken his opponent rather than augment his own powers. an innate cloak of fear? radiating weakness (removes X from THAC0 of enemies in combat with him)?
Quote:

Soul Reavers gain 1% resistance per level to spells such as Finger of Death and other Necromantic magic of this type. I have no idea how this would be implemented into BG2, though. Maybe just giving them a modified Death Ward type innate ability would be better.
it's possible to give immunity to schools of magic but no way to give resistances to them or to specific spells. well, there is but i would have to create a new .SPL file for EVERY necromancy spell just so it would have a lesser chance of affecting him. how about an increasing bonus to death and spell saving throws?
Old 09-18-2001, 07:11 AM   #10
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Yes there's a different spell casting system in Bg2 so it's not possible to play with this spellcaster kit without any scripts etc..

Nanobyte, I'Ll be very happy if you tell about prestige class and new features in DMG.

------------------
"Not for your eyes only, also for your beautiful ears.."

Yngwie J. Amadeus Zoltan "Diamond Fighter of Aerie Lovers Sacred Band"