Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-31-2001, 12:03 PM   #1
Fulliotomatix
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello..first timer here...nice forum...

Got some questions for the experts here.

Lately I've been enjoying playing my Skald but I realize that they get the shaft with the enhanced bard song which would mean that a Blade or non-kit bard would have the same song as the Skald.

I've started a new game recently with a Jester since there are some improvements with the latest patch which also give them Stun and one other thing (hold?).

My new tactic is cast on myself non-detection, invisibility and then turn on my song. Then walk into any group of baddies. Works pretty well in spite of the +4 they get to their savings throws.

I didn't check myself but does the party get the experience when the monsters start killing each other? Anyone know? If I don't get the XP then this tactic is pretty much worthless I would think.

I need to try a Blade soon. Sounds interesting. Any comments on the worthwhileness (sp?) of Blades?

In my current Skald game (which I am going to stop playing I think) I have my Skald, Jaheira (love interest), Minsc, Anomen, Keldorn and Imoen.

Full

Old 10-31-2001, 12:26 PM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Bard tactics

You do not get Xp if hostile monsters kill hostile monsters, you only get Xp if it is your own summon. If you have ToB, Blades rule.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Cavalier meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a Blade and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

Platinium Sorcerer of Aerie Loving Sacred Band!
-------------------------
Party Sorcerer Spell List, v1.03
Dragon Slaying Tips
For your daily dosage of insanity,
Old 10-31-2001, 12:37 PM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Oh, by the way... welcome to the Forum.
Old 10-31-2001, 03:43 PM   #4
SecretMaster
Apophis

K, i'm a bit late but, KEEP THE SKALD. You'll thank me. Theyre song at higher levels makes u immune to Mind Flayer stun! And great bonuses, i love them.

------------------
Tis your lives to waste
-Drizzt do Urden
Old 10-31-2001, 05:04 PM   #5
Sorcerer Alex

I've played the game with every class/kit, and the skald is fantastic, I'm sticking with it. I'd advise you to do the same

------------------
Later,

Old 10-31-2001, 05:47 PM   #6
Fulliotomatix
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Why is the Skald fantastic?

With ToB (which I have) ALL Bards can get the Enhanced Bard Song which makes the Bard song the same. Even the Blade can have the same song as the Skald. Plus with the Spins the Blade has better combat bonuses than the Skald.

The only thing that the Skald has better than the Blade would be Lore. But 1/2 the lore of a level 20 Blade can ID pretty much anything anyways. Lore in general is useless in ToB since you have Pocket Plane and can just cast Identify a million times if you want.

Hmmm...really wondering why Skald is so great apart from an rp'ing aspect which I would completely understand.
Old 11-01-2001, 01:33 PM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

My general rule of Thumb is... if you are only playing SoA, go with the Skald, if you are going to continue to ToB, go with the Blade.

If you intend to solo, and you have ToB installed, definitely go with the Blade.
Old 11-01-2001, 04:10 PM   #8
Addictman
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I agree that the Skald is best in Bg2, but remember when you get to TOB and get high-level skills, all the bard songs become the same, and then I think the Jester is best, since that class has no disadvantages.

Comments?

------------------
Full plate and packing steel!
Old 11-01-2001, 04:56 PM   #9
Fulliotomatix
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well the disadvantages of Jesters are :

1) confused enemies that kill each other = you do not get the XP.
2) +4 to their savings rolls and I suppose at high levels those monsters have incredible saving throws anyways. So for the song to ever be effective you'd always have to cast a few Greater Malaison (sp?). Top that off with some lower resistances and you have to provide a lot of spell power for the Jester's song to really become effecttive. Then you have to hope that you stun them instead of confusing them or else you may lose some XP if they kill each other.

So now I agree with one of the previous posters saying that Blades are the best.