Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-18-2006, 05:06 AM   #1
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

OK lets continue the discussions over here now. Only 7 more hours to go till Australia vs Brazil.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:42 AM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I wonder if Ronaldo will take another day off. I honestly don't understand why the coach keeps fielding him, while Brazil has so many more talented players, who actually DO enjoy playing the game. Robinho for instance.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:47 AM   #3
wellard
Dracolisk

I'm not going to try and stay up Tim, the best bet for me will to get a couple of hours sleep before the game. At least I do not have to work tomorrow

*Curses the Europeans for being able to watch at normal times* [img]tongue.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 05:57 AM   #4
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
I'm not going to try and stay up Tim, the best bet for me will to get a couple of hours sleep before the game. At least I do not have to work tomorrow

*Curses the Europeans for being able to watch at normal times* [img]tongue.gif[/img]
You call that normal times ? I miss most of the day matches, and some early evening matches because of work.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:49 AM   #5
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:

Eyup, by the time the match is finally played. ZZZZZZzzzzzZzzzz
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:03 AM   #6
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Im hoping my excuse for being late to work on tuesday will go down smooth. It should - It'll be true!

Not too many other people in my home town are getting caught up in World Cup fever, though.
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:25 AM   #7
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Uh oh....

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/stor...t/sport1.shtml

Aussie players bet on me to get the opening goal - Cahill

By Jim Keat

GAMBLING revelations by Premiership stars Tim Cahill and Mark Viduka have put Australia's World Cup campaign in the balance.

Every World Cup player, official and administrator signed a FIFA fair play "World Charta" before the tournament in Germany.

The document has a clause promising NOT to bet on matches and last night FIFA confirmed this includes gambling among themselves. Everton star Cahill's confession that team-mates Lucas Neill and Archie Thompson bet on him to score the Aussies' first ever goal in the World Cup finals has sparked a FIFA probe.

Cahill did just that in Australia's 3-1 victory over Japan on Monday.

And he admitted to Australian paper the Herald Sun: "They both backed me to score.

"That's why when I got the first goal I ran straight to them."

Clauses

A FIFA official said: "I can confirm that the declaration set out by FIFA and signed by all players and staff of each of the 32 nations clearly states that no betting is allowed for the members of the delegations.

"This includes internal betting within the players of any team, which is also strictly not allowed.

"The committee has made it very clear that no betting in any form should be taking place and they will investigate any case thoroughly."

All the players were asked to sign the 'Charta' which contains five clauses concerning doping, racism and sports betting:

1. I admit that fair play is the basic rule of the game and I will follow it no matter what. And, especially, I promise not to take illegal or banned substances for bettering my performances during the game.

2. I will make sure to have an impeccable conduct towards my opponents. I will condemn any racist or discriminatory action inside or outside the field.

3. I will observe and respect the FIFA ethic code. I will see to respecting and acting correctly and respectfully towards FIFA, the organising committee and the members of this organisation, as well as the state and private institutions.

4. I am stating that I will never participate in sports betting, directly or indirectly, during the World Cup and I will not involve a member of my family in these kind of betting.

5. I will respect all these rules, to make sure that we will have a healthy World Cup.

FIFA, who have unlimited powers, promised to punish anyone who does not obey the rules. Viduka, the Middlesbrough striker and Aussie captain, said on the Australian Football Federation website: "The other day, some of the boys were taking bets on who was going to be the first to score.

"Spider (back-up keeper Zeljko Kalac) was the bookmaker."

FIFA set out clear and strict rules on betting in Germany amid fears that football's greatest showpiece would be targeted by Far East gambling rings.

Shape

And the FIFA official added: "All players and every member of each country's official delegation was sent a document in which it says they are not allowed to bet at all during the World Cup, not only on their matches but on any other match, in any shape or form.

"Every player completed a declaration regarding betting, ethics, the appropriate conduct with respect to non-discrimination and racism.

"If they breach any part of these conditions, and that included betting among themselves, then it would be brought to the attention of FIFA's disciplinary committee who will analyse the case and decide what measures will be taken."

Cahill came off the bench to score two goals as Australia staged an amazing late comeback from a goal down to beat Japan 3-1 in their first game. The Aussies take on world champions Brazil this afternoon but some players' future in the competition now seems to be in serious doubt.

Following our investigation, FIFA have revealed they will launch a PROBE into the Aussies' crass behaviour before deciding on any punishment.

FIFA's competitions committee set out the terms and conditions of the declaration and our story was referred to them last night.

They confirmed that the Australian player have broken clear instructions by betting on who would score first in the Australia v Japan match.

The FIFA official confirmed: "All players and every member of each countries official delegation was sent a document in which it says they are not allowed to bet-at all-during the World Cup.

"Not only on their matches but on any other match, in any shape or form, at the Fifa World Cup.

"Every player who is at the tournament completed a declaration regarding betting, ethics, the appropriate conduct with respect to non-discrimination, and racism.

"If they breach any part of these conditions, and that included betting among themselves, then it would be brought to the attention of FIFA's disciplinary committee who will analyse the case and decide what measures will be taken."

Each of the 736 players in Germany were told of the pitfalls of flouting these rules but the Australians have chosen to ignore such warnings.

Clause 4 of the declaration clearly-and strictly-states:'The undersigned declare that I shall not participate in any lotteries or betting games, etc, that shall have a direct or indirect connection with the 2006 FIFA World Cup. I am also responsible for ensuring that all members of my family refrain from taking part in such activities.'

FIFA's spokesman confirmed to the News of the World that they would impose harsh punishments on anybody found to be breaking these rules.

He said: "Regarding the possible decisions that may be taken in any particular situation, we cannot make any suppositions, as each case is analysed individually and therefore not comparable to another case.

"The committee has made it very clear, however, that no betting in any form should be taking place, and they will investigate any case thoroughly."
Old 06-18-2006, 01:01 PM   #8
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Well according to the discussion I heard of this last night he said it in jest and it shouldn't constitute a breach. I can't recall if they were saying that was FIFA's decision or what since I wasn't paying attention properly, but I'm sure that will turn out to be the case. Just a poor choice of words from Cahill describing a prematch bit of fun from the Aussie boys.

Anyway, I'm impressed by our boys in the first half! They seem to be matching Brazil all over the field. Need some more serious scoring shots though.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:14 PM   #9
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
1-0 Brazil now, but they still look everything but convincing, perhaps Australia can still get away with a point today.

And if not, they still hold the best papers to advance from this group, a draw against Croatia will be enough, and after seeing Japan-Croatia today, i no longer think of Croatia as favourites over Australia.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:21 PM   #10
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

bah.. aussie had so many chances.. they keep missing it

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote