Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 10-26-2004, 10:44 PM   #1
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

For those of you that missed it Ashlea Simpson proved to us all that she may well be a lip syncher.

Check out the below video for a good laugh.

http://media.skoopy.com/vids/vid_00318.wmv

Cheers!
Old 10-26-2004, 10:56 PM   #2
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
HEHE. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] I dont even know what to say. Actually, was that Jessica Simpson's sister? Wow, somebody obviously got the crappy, recessive genes! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2004, 11:02 PM   #3
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Yeah it is Jessica Simpsons sister. I laughted so hard when the soundtrack started playing. What the heck was that dance she was doing ?
Old 10-26-2004, 11:18 PM   #4
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

LOL, that was weird, man she looked stupid [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Jeez, I wish I could dance like that
Old 10-26-2004, 11:25 PM   #5
Dron_Cah
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Defend Your Castle Champion Frogger Champion Monkey Diving Champion Summer Games Champion Donkey Kong Champion
Moon Lander Champion Space Invaders Champion
Well, she said afterwards it was some kind of hodown, but I think she's just stupid. I like how the band keeps playing. They're good!
Old 10-27-2004, 12:14 AM   #6
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Why does she have to dance like that? Aiya! It look horrible. Didn't know that she is Jessica Simpson sister.

[ 10-27-2004, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: Kakero ]
Old 10-28-2004, 02:04 AM   #7
Dave_the_quack
Baaz Draconian

That was just so embarrassed I could barely watch it. Seriously. Put yourself in her shoes... HOW EMBARRASSING. Nice to know she sung LIVE on SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE though. Heh. Sweet, sweet karma.

[ 10-28-2004, 02:06 AM: Message edited by: Dave_the_quack ]
Old 10-28-2004, 06:37 AM   #8
Grojlach
Zartan

Here's some background info on her "hoedown", taken from Tiny Mixtapes:

Ashlee Simpson Does "Hoe-Down" to Cover Up Her Enormous Talent

In one of the most embarassing moments in recorded history, Ashlee Simpson and her hired band committed quite the blooper on Saturday Night Live. Simpson's first performance (of the shit single "Pieces of Me") went without a hitch, but her second performance didn't quite go as planned.

Originally scheduled to perform "Shadow," according to her official website, the drummer is heard instead playing "Pieces of Me" again, while the guitarists are playing "Autobiography," albeit an extremely slow version since the drummer set the tempo originally to "Pieces of Me." But things got much worse when Ashlee Simpson's pre-recorded vocals for "Pieces of Me" began playing through the PA speakers, loud and clear for the disenchanted studio audience.

Consequently, Ashlee Simpson is reduced to the most horrendous dance steps that would make even Merce Cunningham upchuck. While the guitarists eventually conform to the drummer's insistence on a "Pieces of Me" encore, Ashlee roams about the stage, trying out new dance moves and looking pretty much like a fool until she stumbles off stage. The rest of the band continues to play the "Pieces of Me" reprise, while SNL promptly cuts to commercial.

So how does Ashlee respond to the fiasco? Of course, she blames it on the band: "I feel so bad my band started playing the wrong song and I didn't know what to do, so I thought I'd do a hoe-down. I'm sorry." Meanwhile, her label, Geffen, blamed a computer glitch. And the laughs keep on coming!

In an interview with Lucky Magazine, Ashlee Simpson once said: I'm totally against [lip-syncing] and offended by it. I'm going out to let my real talent show, not to just stand there and dance around. Personally, I'd never lip-sync. It's just not me." Ha! Truthfully, I think the question of whether or not Ashlee intends to follow in the footsteps of lip-synching luminaries, Milli Vanilli, is moot. Who could blame her anyway? I mean, those of you who follow this plastic pop must've seen how horrible her singing was at the MTV VMA's pre-show. So, whether she lip-synced or not is irrelevant. What does matter is that this "singer," who had the advantage of being related to Jessica and had a 30-minute TV show/commercial on MTV hyping the album, who sang a simple hook that was marketed down our throats until 3 million albums were sold, still managed to let it all crumble.

Simply put, while marketing and advertising can certainly create the illusion of a musician to millions of people, it can't buy respect, dignity, or talent. Ashlee is a product of just another bunch of corporate boardroom directors looking to cash in on a younger, "punkier" version of Jessica. Yes, you're at Tiny Mix Tapes, so surely this rant is annoyingly famliar. But meanwhile, there's an overt trend to like mainstream pop music simply because it has a good beat or simply because it's catchy. People are starting to take music at face-value and ignoring the underlying narrative. If the KKK wrote catchy songs, doesn't mean you have to like it.

In happier news, this performance, ironically enough, was the funniest thing SNL ever broadcasted.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:02 AM   #9
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Definitely a dick move to blame it on your band...

... no matter what goes wrong, it should never be the band's fault. Especially when it's not
Old 10-28-2004, 09:25 AM   #10
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

*Shrugs* Who cares if she lip-synched? Is it against the law or something? Elvis lip-synched through the "Jail-House Rock" performance, video it would be called now. Who can dance and sing at the same time?