Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-29-2001, 03:44 AM   #21
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

you dont need very long to build many tanks

I know an order that let you build around 20 tanks in something like 7 minutes. then keep building more after that

8 on depot
10 on gas
11 on barracks
14 on factory then another depot
17 on another factory
then keep building tanks [img]smile.gif[/img]

I always remembered swam of tanks fighting against each other (in shareware, my terrain vs another player, this is his building order)... nightmare
Old 11-29-2001, 03:52 AM   #22
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

If you could build Lurkers and tell them NOT to attack until you gave the word, that would be VERY effective against a Tank creep. Just let them creep until they're almost on top of you.....and SPIKE! Ouch. As it is, I dunno.....24 Burrowed Zerglings, and while they're busy making Zerg-burgers, send in a couple Scourges for the Science Vessel and Mutalisks for the Tanks? If you're Protoss, take 4 or more Templar as a group and spread them out a bit. Tell them to Psionic simultaneously--the Storms will spread to cover more area, ensuring you hit more Tanks. The Tanks should all fire at the first Templar, killing him and enabling the others to get their shots off. Or rush with a couple decoy Zealots first. For Terrans, I'd suggest Spider Mines, except that Vultures suck. So do Firebats.

I'd get my ass handed to me online....I've spent waaay too much time analyzing the AI. My strategy each game is not to expand, but rather to build up and reinforce my position until I can build 12 Battlecruisers, Guardians, or Carriers, plus whatever air support they need. Then pretty much nothing can stop me, except a lucky Plague or Psionic Storm.
Old 11-29-2001, 04:00 AM   #23
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

you can get 12 BattleCusors (3/3 upgraded) in 10 mins, can you?
Old 11-29-2001, 04:40 AM   #24
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Strangely, nobody has mentioned Lockdown. A lockdowned Carrier, is a dead Carrier.

Squads of Wraiths can take out Carriers too, but they will suffer heavy losses, Battlecruisers eat Carriers though, especially if they have Yamato Cannons ready.

How to make the red dot from a Ghost disappear? Target an air unit, the air unit blocks the red dot.

The game is usually decided by the second wave.

I am a Protoss player, but I can play Terran as well.

And yes, I despise money maps.
Old 11-29-2001, 08:19 AM   #25
Lifetime
Red Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
Strangely, nobody has mentioned Lockdown. A lockdowned Carrier, is a dead Carrier.

Squads of Wraiths can take out Carriers too, but they will suffer heavy losses, Battlecruisers eat Carriers though, especially if they have Yamato Cannons ready.

How to make the red dot from a Ghost disappear? Target an air unit, the air unit blocks the red dot.

The game is usually decided by the second wave.

I am a Protoss player, but I can play Terran as well.

And yes, I despise money maps.

This man speaks my language! Lockdown seems to be forgotten as a cheap counter to battlecruisers because people always seem to forgot to bring science vessels. Doesnt work so well against Protoss Observers and Carriers though. I think when I played I used mainly reaver-drops against Zerg players and Zealot rushes against terrans. Man things have changed
I hardly ever used air power because I felt they were too gas-expensive and pretty much liabilities (Wraiths are pretty much useless against anything.. They kill Zerg too slow and Observers will detect them too easily. They arent especially quick either so one Scanner sweep and your entire Wraith force is finished.. Science Vessels are just annoying.. grr)
I've always thought that the best players always managed to achieve a balance between rush and counter-rushing and quick expansion. Once BW came around Zerg players started to expand and defend a heck of a lot quicker because of Lurkers and Devourers. The Protoss got pretty screwed over at BW because of the lack of any REALLY useable units, unlike the Medic and Valkerie for the Terrans.
Old 11-29-2001, 08:30 AM   #26
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

quote:
Originally posted by Lifetime:

I've always thought that the best players always managed to achieve a balance between rush and counter-rushing and quick expansion.

yeah,
Old 11-29-2001, 08:34 AM   #27
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Valkeries eat air units, except Carriers and Battlecruisers( unless they become lockdowned).

I fondly remember how my 12 Valkeries utterly destroyed 36 Mutalisks. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

Protoss are still strong in BW, do not underestimate Corsairs and Dark Archons. Corsairs work very well with either Dragoons or Carriers, and Dark Archons... well, let's just say I let others help me build my Carrier fleet.

Not to mention that if you can steal a Drone/SCV, you can start a whole new army.
Old 11-29-2001, 08:38 AM   #28
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

quote:
Originally posted by Kaz:
Dark Templar rushes in the beginning can be murder...

heh, how true! i remember one time i dt rushed a guy as payback for rushing my ally in the game before... he was begging for mercy within three minutes!
Old 11-29-2001, 08:45 AM   #29
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

i just loove those templars...

so, how about you guys helping up 250 on this? set up a date and time and tutor poor two-fifees amateur sc skills and improve it... even just a lil...
Old 11-29-2001, 08:53 AM   #30
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:
so, how about you guys helping up 250 on this? set up a date and time and tutor poor two-fifees amateur sc skills and improve it... even just a lil...

funny, how about I play one on two with you guys in SC?