Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2001, 11:50 PM   #1
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

This is just a beginning of a story. And yes it has charchters that have been used many times before i know but its my first full story and i thought that id just get the opinions of what i wrote so far. it should end up at about 280 book pages. thanx

Revalations

Why does humankind hold such incredible undiscovered potential within themselves yet are unable to use these underlying strengths? This is a question i ask myself constantly, the life of a human is but a shining brief flame in the eyes of my brethren but I can only imagine what this would seem to the gods who created us. Would they see the courage and selflessness of which a handful of caring humans are capable of or would they, blinded by the corruption and selfish greed spread like a disease throughtout the sprawling cities of mankind condemn them as have both my kin and our fair skinned cousins.
Humankind are a paradox that cannot be explained by mere words such as my own but that does not withhold me from pondering the possibilities that they hold within.

Prologue
Two jade green smoky eyes peered with frightening intensity out at Drizzt through the dense undergrowth. A soft rumbling growl emerging from the bush reminded him of the everwatchful presence of Guenhwyvar.
More silent than any mortal the great panther was a denizen of the lower planes, a spirit that was bonded to Drizzt through an onyx figurine he had taken from Menzoberranzan before his exile from his homeland.
Since being released from his former captivity with a cruel and sadistic drow mage, Guenhwyvar had been his constant companion throughout his journeys across Faerun. They had saved each other’s lives often during various battles and this had formed a strong bond between them that could not be broken by mere words or actions.

A slight smile formed at the corners of Drizzt's mouth, the only noticeable sign that he had noticed the iridescent gaze of the cat focused on him. He was safe in the knowledge that Guenhwyvar would give him prior warning if anyone approached him while he rested ignorant of the rest of the world.
He lay down and pulled the blankets over his fatigued body, almost instantly falling into a deep slumber. A slight rise and fall of the chest belied the fact that he was merely asleep and not just another corpse littering the forested regions of Lower Comyr.
Soon an unnatural stillness descended upon the forest clearing and Drizzt's sleeping remained undisturbed.
Until the nightmares came....

Towers crumbled into ancient ruins the souls lain within crying out in misery to the saviour that would never come, trapped for an eternity of remembered pain...

...Fiery death rained down upon the proud armies lining the walls of the keep, with the burning consuming their bodies the soldiers last thoughts were of their loved ones they had failed to protect in all their vaunted honour....

....Rampaging demons stalked through the streets, the bodies of women and children strewn left and right carelessly left when the demons tired of their feeding, the expressions of horror sketched on the humans faces a silent tribute to the terrors they had witnessed....

....From the plains of dust left from the destruction years later still memories remained, a hand outstretched from the ground a warning to any people to pass beyond the shadow of the spine of the world....

...A broken body lay upon the weathered steps leading to the throne, shimmering silver flame laying like a cold blanket across the countless wounds caused by insufferable pain. Drizzt knew the legends; this was one of the Seven Sisters, the chosen of Mystra, her paladins on the material plane of Faerun.
And the agony he felt rushing through his body gave him the unwanted knowledge he knew in his heart, this was Alustriel the Lady of Silverymoon.
His beloved.
A pale head framed by an aura of silver hair rose from the steps, a look of accusation graven on the cold features of Alustriel.
"I told you the fate of this world was held in the balance but still you refused to come to our aid," she spoke without words, the voice resounding in Drizzt's head "Foolish pride and selfishness to your heritage held you back."
"But when all you care about is torn down and destroyed, will you still then cling to your beliefs? Or will you risk sacrificing your life and your servitude in the service of the gods to help fight for what you truly believe in? You alone have the power."
The silver flames streaked out from the body of Alustriel encasing her body in a shroud of blinding light...

....Why was he on his knees? Drizzt couldn't remember how he ended up like this, until he looked up at the horrifying visage looming above him. A short gasp escaped his lips in the short silence that followed.
A voice flowed out from behind the mask, cold and calculating, "You have been chosen by the goddess Mystra to stand against me in her stead. But know this, all you have done and all you have achieved in your life will have amounted to nothing if you fail here. All those who have come before you have failed to stop me and this has allowed me to finally take what is rightfully mine."
"You are the last bastion of good in this land with the power to banish me, but even you mystra's champion shall fall before me. For I have tapped into the powers of the Abyss and with this I have hundreds of demons at my command. More power than you can comprehend mortal, but play at your games if you have a mind to."
"It was foretold at the dawning of this world that at one time the ultimate battle of the magicks would take place and the outcome would determine the fate of the races."
"Play well mortal, and passing luck. For you will need it!"
Drizzt felt himself falling, an empty well of nothingness, down into the depths of his soul...

Drizzt woke up gasping for air breathlessly, a thin sheen of sweat covering his entire body from head to toe. The memories of the dreams lingered briefly in his mind, than disappeared entirely leaving only a vague feeling that he needed to get somewhere before the week had passed.
"Guenhwyvar, it's time we left," Drizzt decided "I have a strong feeling we are going to be travelling a lot more in the next few days."
With that he packed up his belongings and buckled his scimitars around his waist, a heavy burden weighing upon his shoulders knowing that if he failed in this he stood to lose everything he cared for.
These thoughts foremost in his mind Drizzt slipped silently into the trees, a ghost of the shadows.

Chapter 1

Nerian stepped carefully out of his bedroom, easing the door closed with absolute silence. Oh but he would be in so much trouble if his parents woke from his careless noises, they would send him back to his bed and deny him breakfast the following morning for his disobedience. He padded softly down the wooden staircase, wincing slightly at the creaks and groans emitted from the warped oaken steps.He knew even these sounds quiet though they may be could be sufficient to wake his father from his slumber.
He breathed a quick sigh of relief as he reached the bottom of the stairs, stepping onto the solid floor landing. Now he only had to make his way from here to the entrance and he was away free, without the shackles of boredom that constantly kept him in check these days.Nerian crept over to where his coat hung beside the front door and pulled it down wrapping it around his shoulders to keep the cold at bay. He grabbed his father’s sword standing upright beside the coat rack buckling it around his waist, letting the weight settle comfortably on his left hip. A quick furtive glance at the top of the staircase assured him that he was safe for awhile at least, but he must hurry to the stables before he had the opportunity to get caught.
A cold blast of air hit his face as he swung wide the heavy door, the biting chill stinging his eyes making his vision blurred but he regained his composure and forced himself to step out onto the frozen pathway. This unnatural cold worried him, he had never seen this kind of weather in Jeiak Dale during the spring thaw, it just wasn’t what was supposed to happen.
Pushing those thoughts to the back of his mind, Nerian ran as fast as his little legs could carry him to the wide stable doors fronting the side of the barn. He burst through the doorway, the heavy portal swinging wildly on its rusty hinges but even that crashing could not be overheard over the wind whistling through the wooden slats composing the structure of the building.
A soft snort emerged from the shadows of the horse stalls, the familiar sound comforting Nerian and strengthening his resolve to follow through with his plans to travel to the fabled city of Silverymoon. Herion his childhood companion waited only a few small steps away, the aging warhorse his only means to reach the city without having to travel through the dreaded Trollmoors. He knew that should he start out on foot he would never reach his destination before he was set upon by bandits or some other denizen of the wildlands surrounding the city.
Nerian laid his head back against the rough hewn wall, the consequences of what he was about to do running through his head like a nightmarish melody. He thought that he would at least be safe for a few minutes while he sorted out his thoughts for the long expedition ahead.
He was wrong.

Grahaem raised his weary eyelids, the exhaustion and lack of sleep over the past few weeks was slowly catching up with him.His body urged him to return to his dreams but his mind trained by years of experience as a rogue mercenary set alarms ringing in his head that danger was near at hand.
He had a family to protect and no amount of weariness could keep him from his duty as a father and husband. His mind still fogged from sleep, he stepped off his bed taking special care not to wake his resting wife who was curled up on the other side of the bed, the slow steady breathing betraying the fact that she was asleep. A fond smile spread across his mouth as he looked down at her, a peaceful expression set upon her face.But the sense of urgency that stayed with him forced his thoughts back to task at hand, ensuring the safety of his vunerable wife and young son Nerian.
He swiftly crossed the room, fear for his loved ones lending him speed as he swung wide the door and raced down the stairs to where his sword was kept lying up against the wall facing the doorway. Panic shot through him as he found his bastard sword and sheath missing from their normal place and his eyes swept frantically round the room searching for some place that it might have been mistakenly hidden but to no avail.Something was definitely wrong here; there was something that he was missing.
Grahaem turned around and pounded heavily back up the stairway taking the steps two at a time, an adrenaline rush pumping through his veins. As he reached the top he ran for the door of Nerian’s room dreading what he might find there or as he found out a lack of it.
He burst through the doorway, and gave a gasp of relief at seeing the resting form of his son still in his bed under the covers. But the alarm bells were still going off in his head and suspiscion began to gnaw at him making him doubt the truthfullness of what he saw before his eyes.
Grahaem pulled back the sheets covering the bed and his fears were confirmed.
A bundled up pile of his son’s clothing lay upon the straw mattress mounded to take on the appearance of a resting child. His son had finally gone through with his dreams to travel to the fabled city of Silverymoon, and this explained the missing sword and he had a feeling should he go to the stables right now he would find his retired warhorse missing from his stall aswell.
His mind whirling with conflicting emotions, Grahaem headed to the hidden compartment down the end of the hall. He had to prepare if he was to go hunting for his son in this weather and for that he needed to arm himself. At the end of the hallway he grabbed a burning torch from it’s wall mount then quickly pushed in a panel in the wall.
A harsh grating sound came from inside the stone wall as a door revealed itself swinging inward to show a narrow passage way leading down into darkness. As he passed throught the massive portal it grinded back into position levaing him only the wavering flame of his lone torch as a guide, throwing shadows against the rough hewn corridor.He had to be quick he reminded himself, Nerian could already be far into the forest by now ignorant of any number of
merciless fates that may await him there. The boy had been enamoured of the stories of Grahaems younger days in the Kahearan Rangers, a mercenary band dedicated to follow the cause of Kaheara and had been angry and frustrated at his father for not teaching him in the arts of war.
Now Grahaem feared that Nerian may have decided to set out on his own to find someone willing to show him the way of the sword, and as he knew there were no shortage of those in the lands these days with rumours of demons stalking the lands. A few swift steps brought him into the hollowed out cavern at the end of the passage, bringing into his view a armour rack
and weapon cuboard lined up against the wall.
Not one to overdo things Grahaem selected a simple threadbare leather tunic and an old well used longsword that was a passover from his adventuring days, the well oiled blade gleaming as he withdrew it from its sheath. His gaze was drawn along its shining length, the nicks and dents telling its own lengthy story of bloodshed and warfare. As he let his mind wander it became lost in the memories of his past, his battles with old comrades, treasures won and lost at the hands of friends or foes. A single tear slid down his face, contradicting the smile that had spread across his mouth bathing his face in the warm glow of contentment.
Coming back to the present, Grahaem wordlessly scolded himself for yet another delay that could cost him dearly and returned to preparing himself to go after his wayward son. He buckled the sword belt around his waist letting the weight of the worn leather settle comfortably on his hips, and slid the longsword silently back into its sheath.
After a last longing look back to the hidden room, Grahaem strode from the memories of his past into the uncertainty of his future.

"Lady Alustriel," the herald announced "Your scout Tailantha to see you."
"Yes, yes send him in please." Alustriel replied tiredly, it had been a long day and she wanted it to be finished as soon as possible so as to get some much needed rest.
The twin atired guards opened the great doors leading to the vaunting chamber, leading the way for Alustiels personal scout to enter the cavernous room. A pale, slight moon elf, Talilantha moved with a inner grace and beauty that belied his true occupation as a toughend ranger. But a typical elven expression of arrogance were sketched across his drawn weatherbeaten features, piercing eyes full of scorn for all of the supposed lesser races filling the chamber. He drew himself up in front of Alustriel, and a miraculous change came over him. A look of pure love shone forth from the golden almond shaped orbs, and the sound of respect was evident in his voice when he spoke.
"Lady," he said simply "I have come as you requested, what would you have of me?"
"Thank you for answering my call with such haste Tailantha." Alustriel replied.
"It was my honour milady" he spoke smoothly.
"You may not think that any longer when i tell you of this task i am asking of you," She said sadly "I wish you to find a certain ranger by the name of Drizzt for me and deliver to him a message"
"The same Drizzt who is a drow exiled from his homeland lady?" he uttered with distaste "Surely you jest?"
"This is no jest i assure you Tailantha but a matter of utmost importance," she stated with an steel hard voice "I will that you deliver this message to Drizzt Do'Urden with all haste. Then I want you to scout out what you can of of these demons and return to me to repert what you have done."
The elf paused for a minute a confliction of emotions warring across his features, but he mustered his resolve and hardened himself for the trial ahead. With a proud flick of his hair the elf spoke again.
“While it begets me little to argue the point with you, my answer is yes milady. I will strive to my utmost to find this….drow,” the elf practically spat out the word “Then I will scout out the enemies position and return to you to tell you my tasks have been completed. But this drow, if he tries any treachery
will find comfort only on the end of my sword before he defiles any of the fine rooms of Silverymoon!”
“Should you ever try such a thing Tailantha, Drizzt would kill you before your mind even registers the fact that your body is
dead,” Alustriel hissed coldly “And it seems his sense of honour and compassion is far greater than your own, for you judge
him by the actions of his kin and not as himself, an incomparable ranger who has saved many of your kind from death!”
“Be that as it may milady,” the scout replied “I have so far no reason to trust him and will not until he proves himself
to me, not by his legends but by action.”
“Then be off with you Tailantha,” Alustriel ordered “Tell Drizzt when you find him to travel with all possible speed to
Silverymoon, for the fate of the world is held in the balance!”

[This message has been edited by AzureWolf (edited 05-10-2001).]
Old 05-08-2001, 03:45 AM   #2
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

bump grrrrrrrrr
Old 05-08-2001, 04:38 AM   #3
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hmm, interesting, don´t stop now!

------------------

WOLF WINS EVERY FIGHT BUT ONE, AND IN THAT ONE, HE DIES
Old 05-08-2001, 04:51 AM   #4
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

hmmm im thinking about startinn something new cos those charachters have been abit overused
Old 05-08-2001, 04:57 AM   #5
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:
hmmm im thinking about startinn something new cos those charachters have been abit overused
Well your own characterswill do just as well mate. No feaar of that!

You have a talent there!

------------------

WOLF WINS EVERY FIGHT BUT ONE, AND IN THAT ONE, HE DIES
Old 05-08-2001, 07:29 AM   #6
sylent
Emerald Dragon

I have only read the start (ie. not chapter 1.)
I like what I have read so far, you have set the scene for a really great story.
I also really love the way you write, the descriptive words and stuff, although it could perhaps get a little tied up if you tried too hard.

I will read the rest another time, when I have more time, but for the meantime, keep it up - as Wolfgir said, you have talent, don't give up

------------------
"Watch your back"
Old 05-08-2001, 07:33 AM   #7
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

yeah ino i can get into that descriptive stuff abit much my old english teacher had to edit my stories she wanted to enter into competitions bcos she thought some ppl wouldnt understand alot of the words I am actaully writing it at the mo and am on the last section of chapter 1 at the moment

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 05-08-2001, 07:42 AM   #8
sylent
Emerald Dragon

I don't find it difficult to understand, I actually really like it, as I said.
I always liked writing, but I often start something that I really like, and then get sort of bored with it. I know that you have to fill in the gaps in a story - it can't just be all action, but I often find it a little difficult, especially if I already know the ultimate purpose of the story...

-Sylent
Old 05-08-2001, 07:48 AM   #9
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

yep i know exactly what u mean i have done the same thing many times before. im amazed i have gotten this far on this story...lol

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 05-08-2001, 07:50 AM   #10
sylent
Emerald Dragon

Mayhaps you are on to something good!

anyway, I have got to be off...
Keep up the good work

------------------
"Watch your back"