Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2004, 07:29 PM   #1
Calagari
Manshoon

I did a search on importing characters but did not find this question.

When you export a character do they retain their inventory when exported then imported? I ask because I have several items a bard can use. The only Bard I have is saved away in a new and different game. I was hoping to be able to export the character with the instruments then bring them back in this already 4 person established party. That way my your bard would have some nifty items to play. Or would this exporting affect my current use of this person in my party I am playing now?
Calagari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 07:31 PM   #2
Aerich
Lord Ao

I haven't exported in a while (possibly not since my IWD-only days), but I seem to recall that all inventory items are retained.

Best thing to do is try it. You don't lose a character from a game just because you export it from one game and import it into another.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:18 PM   #3
jmsteven
Dungeon Master

I'm pretty sure you lose all containers and everything that was in them (as well as any quest-specific items). Transfer everything you want to keep to your main inventory. If you don't have HOW, you won't have any containers (scroll cases, gem bags, potion cases, bags of holding).

[ 10-29-2004, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: jmsteven ]
jmsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 10:03 PM   #4
Aerich
Lord Ao

I could swear that you retain the badges, but I think that's without HoW. Not sure otherwise. However, the Horn of Valhalla, Owain's Lullaby, etc, should still transfer.

Good point mentioning the containers.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:03 AM   #5
lost prophet
Drow Warrior

I just did some transferring then so I can clarify, When importing the charatcer retains all items in his inventory bar scroll cases, gem bags and potion bags, if there are any items in these containers they will also be lost. And to clear up Aerich's thoughts,you lose the badges if you have HOW installed( which caused me much distress in one game *shudder*)

NOTE: Im not sure where it is(it might be in BG2) but you can choose what you want to import from three options 1.)import experience 2.) import experience and stats 3.) import experience stats and items
Old 10-30-2004, 02:56 AM   #6
Aerich
Lord Ao

Far as I know, the options for importing aren't an option in IWD. It's all or nothing. Not bad though; if you don't want all the stuff you brought in, it's pretty easy to sell it and start out your new adventuring life with a big bag of gold.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:33 AM   #7
Calagari
Manshoon

From what I read it sounds like a plan then. I could equip my young bard with some items that would make his life much easier early in the game. But by doing so would this be considered cheating? I would be giving the bard an advantage he would not normally have at the start of the game. To offset that I could increase the level of difficulty. But it wouldn't excuse the gift of advanced instuments. Then again this wouldn't be my first run through the game. So does it really matter?
Calagari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 01:15 PM   #8
NobleNick
Quintesson

Calagari,

Yes, it is cheating; and, no, it doesn't matter. What is important is: are you enjoying yourself?

I had a great time importing my advanced MC Mage/Thief into a beginning party to help them along. I have been doing some experimentation, lately, with leveling characters and recording data. I am tempted to run my naked (except for modest [no pun intended] weapons) CLVL15 party over to see some low-level Easthaven monsters.

Have a blast.

--------------------
What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party On!!

[ 11-03-2004, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 01:49 PM   #9
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I did this on my last game to get the Restored Blade of Aihonen in my inventory, than removed the character again. Apparently, correct me if I am wrong but you can continue to upgrade this blade in HoW on importing it, I need to check the original states of the upgraded blade, however I did notice the image changed again upon upgrading a second time.

[ 11-03-2004, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote