Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2001, 09:24 PM   #11
dwarf 13
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I would have to vote on Civilization 2 as the best game ever. I started playing it the year it came out, and haven't stopped since. Of course, that's just my two cents worth.
Old 12-12-2001, 09:31 PM   #12
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

I am going to agree Civ II is going to stay on my hard drive for a long time. X-Com is now abandon ware(so get it, it's free) and it is still one of the best games all time.

HOMM III is a great game, with endless replayability.

Haven't played a FPS since Doom 2, or a RTS since the first C+C, so I can't comment.

I would put BG2 up in my top 10, no higher, because they sold such a buggy game and after about 5 official patches, problems are still reported. Civ II never had an patch, and it never blew up on me so I couldn't finish a campaign.
Old 12-12-2001, 10:01 PM   #13
Worm
The Magister

quote:
Originally posted by AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe:
pacman is by far the best game ever, well either that or space invaders. come to think of it millipede was pretty cool too...
GALAGA ohhh and Tempest. You my friend know good games.

Let us see. RPG has to be Fallout 2 the interactivity out weighs Baldurs Gate but the combat blows. Torment was good but the NPCs were repetitive but not the ones in your group. Fallout 3 now if that comes out that will be great.

Baldurs Gate 2 was amazing but it wasn't perfect it lacked something until a game is perfect then I will rate it great. I think Daggerfall was perfect for it's time. I believe a good RPG should have "REAL" characters one that gets annoyed when you ask him multiple questions ones that are scared when a group of warriors armed to the teeth comes to the village and aren't amazed when the advneturer is just a jet bum! Villages that just ... aren't the same when you get there a second time. More than just being stuck on that street corner 24/7 they should have lives you know what I mean?
Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 10:32 PM   #14
Mourn Yauntyyr
The Magister

Baldur's Gate is a pretty damned good game. Don't know if its the best though. I think if you conducted a survey of all the PC gamers in the worlds, you might find that those two gentlemen above are correct: the Civilization series is widely considered to be the best game ever. If I could only have one game, that would probably be it. Baldur's Gate (for me anyway) has no replay value.

I don't even know if BG is the best RPG. I haven't finished BG 2 yet, so I can't comment, but I thought Planescape:Torment was marginally better that BG1. Ultima 7 and Ultima Underworld are also up there. I guess I'd have to rate my favorite RPGs as 1)Planescape:Torment, 2) Ultima 7, 3)Baldur's Gate, 4) Ultima Underworld, 5) Curse of the Azure Bonds. Throw in the rest of the Ultimas (except 8), Dungeonmaster, Eye of the Beholder and a few of the better SSI Gold-Box AD&D games to round out the top ten.
Old 12-12-2001, 11:06 PM   #15
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

Your Ultima post took me back to my Nintendo days(the O.G.) with Ultima:Avatar or something. Great innovations like having to feed your guys every half an hour, and buying tents everytime you wanted to rest. 40 hours into the game, the battery forgets your game(thats how it used to save) and you are at square one.

But I did really enjoy the Dragon Warrior series for the Nintendo, don't know how many of you guys played those, but they were the bomb in their day.
Old 12-13-2001, 12:31 AM   #16
Mourn Yauntyyr
The Magister

If you played Ultima on Nintendo...well there ya go.

On PC its much, much better.
Old 12-13-2001, 01:37 AM   #17
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

My Commodore 64 just didn't have the juice to run it
Old 12-13-2001, 04:46 AM   #18
Whailor

BG series best game ever? Well.. In my eyes the BG series sure are good, but not the best. BG1 had many outdoors areas and I LOVE to explore the world. But the areas in BG1 were mostly meaningless and so it felt too "outstretched". Game itself was and is naturally good. BG2, the company realized the error with the BG1 and they tried to improve it. Well, they did it a bit too much and now the game is too small. You literally do 75% (or tad less) in just one area, in one city and that's it. Outdoor areas are just some sole little places where you go to to do a certain task and done. Other then that, there's not much to do in the "outside" world. Heck there isn't any as such.

So then here comes the Fallout games. Damn I love those! Really do, save the last Fallout Tactics, which isn't so Fallout'ish sadly. Has some elements as such which did encourage me to play thru it, but it definately hasn't got anything nowhere close to Fallout 1&2 and the compelling world and the game. I sort of liked the 'doomed' feeling of the game and all such. It's hard to explain whats so cool in Fallout, really need to play it [img]smile.gif[/img] I just hope that when they finally release Fallout 3, that it wouldn't be a disaster and ruin the Fallout feeling.

I am not much into the 'shooters' like Quake and Half-Life and such. Sure I play them and it's especially fun in the network with friends and all such, but other then that they don't have the story as such at all, which would make me turn back to them over and over again. Strategy games are also cool, I like those. Like these a lot, but not as much as RPG games [img]smile.gif[/img]

What I consider a VERY good game is for example the "Betrayal in Krondor". Oh boy did I love that one! Still do. Immersive, twisting plot, story and all that.. Damn.. I often catch myself thinking that I should make it work again and play thru it, I simply love it. It's one of my personal "all time best Golden Game". And imagine that, they put all this story and twisting plot and such just into 10+Mb packed heheh.. Unfortunately the sequel to it, "Return to Krondor", wasn't even quarter as good as tne first part. Really very sad. And the wannabe 'clone', "Betrayal in Antara", wasn't as well done as "Betrayal in Krondor" and not as interesting either.

Where BG series, especially the BG2 shine, is the multiple ways of getting thru the game. That is a good idea and definately one of the reasons, why this game feels still fresh even when you start it again for the 14th time. You can always test the limits of yourself and your chars and so on. So all in all, BG series is certainly one of the best games done, is it THE best though remains to be seen. "THE" best game is simply a matter of the preference. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 12-13-2001, 04:56 AM   #19
Guk73
Dungeon Master

Baldurs Gate Series Rocks!!!!!!
Old 12-13-2001, 10:33 AM   #20
BALROGBANE
Zhentarim Guard

The fist time i played Final Fantasy 7 was superb. I still rate this as the best RPG on the market! BG2 is a super game but a little cluttered at the begining. Where a FF7 takes you into the game nicely.
The best game of all time is Theif 2 for PC.