Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2001, 09:34 AM   #1
GarethDragonsbane
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i am soliciting opinions on my party composition, wondering if it is sufficient enough to complete the game without resorting to cheats or cheese tactics. I am currently still in chapter II and have completed most of the side quests (Frikkag, Shade Lord, Planar Sphere, Killing Mae'Var, Solving the Problem in Trademeet etc...) I have swapped out characters several times throughout the game so far. Here is my party as it stands.

Myself: 12th Lvl Fighter
Keldor: 11 Inquisitor
Edwin: (forget which level but he is good)
Jahirra: 10 fighter/12 druid.
Aeried 10 cleric/ 11 Mage
Nalia: 4 thief/ 12 Mage.

I am assuming that as I head into chapter three the encounters will become much more difficuly. I am currently working on a CH II sidequest that has caused me much grief: the rift dungeon--the three gauth beholders beyond the bridge puzzle. I refuse to use the shield of spell reflection. Anyway, I await your opinions. Thanks
Old 05-09-2001, 09:39 AM   #2
Black Knight
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well, your battle is tough, but not unwinable. Been there my friend. Good luck.

ABout the party. Seems pretty balanced with two tanks, Druid, half a cleric, half a thief, and 2.0 magic users (edwin is one and Nalia and Aeria is one)

I forsee a couple of problems. Check out your alignments and hopefully you might figure it out. What is YOUR alignment. And either way, I would grab Jan for Nalia. He is a better thief and much much more fun. Just IMHO, right?

Later

BK

------------------

The Black Storm Cloud of the Night
Consort to a Queen
Champion of Truth, Justice and Cloudy's Way
Captain of the Knights of the Golden Dragons
Heart, Mind, and Soul
Offical Wizard and Warrior Questioner
What is this, the Spanish Inquisition?
Old 05-09-2001, 09:42 AM   #3
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

hmmmm I would suggest dropping nalia purely bcos i dont like her at all. But you can beat the game easy enough with pretty much any team i think. I mean alot of people think cernd is useless but i have completed the game with three druids. me, cernd and jaheira. so just go with the charchters you feel most comfortable with is my opinion. but dont drop minsc!!!!!!

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 05-09-2001, 09:51 AM   #4
GarethDragonsbane
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If I dump Nalia for Jan, will I sacrifice my stronghold. Also, If I pick-up Jan now what level will he be? I don't want to dump nalia (4/12) If Jan is going to be a much weaker mage.
Old 05-09-2001, 09:54 AM   #5
GarethDragonsbane
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Another reason I still have Nalia is that i was hoping something more would happen with her personel quests.. Her fued with Lord what's his name. Last I heard he was under investigation and told not to leave the city. Does anything else come of that? No details please, just a yes or no... Thanks
Old 05-09-2001, 09:58 AM   #6
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

in a word.......yes

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 05-09-2001, 10:00 AM   #7
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by GarethDragonsbane:
Another reason I still have Nalia is that i was hoping something more would happen with her personel quests.. Her fued with Lord what's his name. Last I heard he was under investigation and told not to leave the city. Does anything else come of that? No details please, just a yes or no... Thanks
Yes. A messenger will find you sooner or later and provide you with some further info. However, IIRC, dumping Nalia shouldn't affect your Stronghold status. I believe that she just hangs out in the Great Hall of the keep and waits for you to pick her up again.

As for your party...I only see one big problem. You don't have a thief worth a sh*t. Nalia is only a 4th level thief and couldn't find her way out of a paper bag without assistance. I'd suggest swapping someone for Yoshimo or Jan. If it were me, I'd dump Nalia or Jaheira.

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 05-09-2001, 10:02 AM   #8
Lord Shield

No need to dump any of them, but be careful with your Reputation. Over 18 and Edwin goes. Under 5 or so, and good people go
As for the gauths, hit them with summonings. For some reason they don't use their rays on summoned critters

Old 05-09-2001, 11:01 AM   #9
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

Nalia will make it, but you should plan on having a few potions of Thievery and a few knock spells memorized. You might also want to make sure the Aerie has a Find Traps spell memorized.

If you pick up Jan at this stage in your game, his level will adjust somewhat to the level of your party. He probably won't be as good of a Mage as Nalia, but his thieving skills should be better. An advantage of Jan is that as he levels, you will be able to adjust his thieving skills, where you are stuck with Nalia where she is at.

You have pretty strong magic support, so losing Nalia as a spellcaster isn't going to hurt your party much.

Also, keep in mind that characters get experience for memorizing spells and disarming traps. You can always release some of your party members (let them hang out in the Copper Coronet) -- save first in case if something goes wrong. When your party consists of yourself and Jan, have him start memorizing spells ((have him drink a potion of genius if you don't want to miss any of the memorizations). Rather than divide the experience 5 or 6 ways, you each get half. He should level up pretty quickly if you have the right spells.

------------------

Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.
Old 05-10-2001, 11:53 AM   #10
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

your party is great as long as keldorn has gauntlets of dex. next, suit up aerie with something that will modify her strength. believe me. this party will blow you away! hehe. as long as you know how to further their stats. using missile weapons is the best. edwin will be bored if you make the right combinations.. well if the battles not that hard.

------------------

I am Bahamut... and this Chiharu.