Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-17-2000, 03:06 PM   #1
Dawnsight

I just got BGII (got tired of waiting for DVD) and I like to play a dual class cleric to mage. (I like lots of spells) The problem is when to dual class.

In BG, I dual-classed Imoen just before the bandit camp which worked out well. The problem is, when I got to the cloakwood mines, she wasn't high enough level yet to start using her thief abilities. This meant the traps just about killed me since I had no other way of stopping them. I had to go around killing every little creature I could find from Ankhegs to kobolds to get her leveled up. The only other places left were the dungeons which also had traps.

I want to avoid this mistake again and figure out when I should dual class my cleric to a mage so the down time is minimized or at least the disadvantages don't hurt as much. To answer this, if I'm doing most of the subquests, how much XP can I expect to have by each chapter?

Thanx

PS. I just started so no spoilers please.

Old 11-17-2000, 03:17 PM   #2
Ribs

If you pick up some of the cleric NPCs, you can really minimize the effect of dual classing. I'd suggest changing at either level 9 or 11 (or is the next level spell at 12...I know there's a jump in the progression around that level), depending on what cleric spells you want to end up with.

It's a bit difficult to predict exactly how much xp you'll have at each stage of the game. It's set up in such a way that many of the subquests can be done in several different chapters. If you load up on some of the easier quests early in the game, you can easily gain several 100k xp per character before moving into the more difficult side quests as well as pursuing the main plot line. That's about as precise as I can be without giving away the progression of chapters which can really spoil the plot. Just keep the overal xp cap in mind and make sure that you'll be able to progress as far as you'd like in mage once you dual.

Old 11-17-2000, 03:23 PM   #3
omegadawn
Welcomed New User

Well the highest possible level combo for a dual classed cleric/mage is 9c/17m. If you have to lvl 10 clerc you can make it to lvl 16 mage. Lvl 11 cleric gets you 6th lvl spells and the potential for a 15 lvl mage. as far as exp by chapter I didnt make a flow chart for that.