Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-01-2001, 02:04 PM   #1
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

WAAHOO!!!!

I did it! I completed SoA solo with a Cavalier. Dragons and vampires were a joke against my Cavalier, I look forward to ToB for greater challenges. The following contains spoilers for Chapter 6 and 7 and the Twisted Rune. The following also contains spoilers on special abilities that Cavaliers get in ToB. You have been forewarned.
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
Some things I have learnt during the course of the game, Cavaliers are absolutely brutal against Dragons, Demons and Vampires. Cavaliers are also extremely resistant to most elements if you tool them properly.

Hardiness + Armour of Faith = 65% Damage Reduction, very useful when engaged in a prolonged battle where hits on you are almost certain, this is assuming a Cavalier of level 20.

Barkskin, a useful spell until you get better armour, I replaced it with Draw Upon Holy Might later in the game. Speaking of which, I used Draw Upon Holy Might often to boost my Cavalier's life and to enable him to bash open most locks.

Free Action, possibly one of the spells that contributed most to the success of the campaign. This spell negates Slow, Entanglement, Web, Stun, etc... I used it all the way to the end.

Turn Undead, see undead, no more undead.

Greater Whirlwind, this also helped a lot, especially against tough foes with lots of Hp, and against swarms of enemies.

The following link is a captioned screenshot gallery of events that lead to the finale, it contains, in order of appearance, Bodhi, Suldanessler, Twisted Rune, Black Dragon, Tree of Life and finally, the Nine Hells.

Enjoy!

Got any questions you want to ask me on this? Post away! I will try to answer as best as I can.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Cavalier meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a Blade and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

Platinium Sorcerer of Aerie Loving Sacred Band!
-------------------------
Party Sorcerer Spell List, v1.03
Dragon Slaying Tips
For your daily dosage of insanity,
Old 11-01-2001, 03:26 PM   #2
Mel
The Magister

Cavaliers are brilliant. I've never tried to solo one but it sounds fun, maybe I should go do that. The first and only time I finished it was with a cavalier, I guess I've got a soft sopt for them.
Great job on manging to solo, like I said , sounds like fun.
Old 11-02-2001, 01:49 AM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks Mel, I only hope ToB will not cream my Cavalier, heh heh. I think my next solo attempt shall be Sorcerer on Insane difficulty. I soloed my Cavalier on Core difficulty.
Old 11-02-2001, 06:40 AM   #4
ReGiN

hey, Dundee...where do you get the ring of free action?
And this "shield of balduran"....it's from the bonus cd, right?

------------------
ReGiN: PROUD MEMBER OF KELDORN'S ORDER!

Old 11-02-2001, 07:02 AM   #5
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ReGiN:
hey, Dundee...where do you get the ring of free action?
And this "shield of balduran"....it's from the bonus cd, right?
Shield of Balduran is from the bonus CD, you buy it from the bonus merchant Deidre, she sets up shop in the Adventurer's Mart.

Chapter 4 Spoiler
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
Eh? I used the level 4 Priest spell, Free Action, but you can also get the Ring of Free Action from Bodhi's Gauntlet. The exact location of the ring can be found from the following URL, it is marked with a bright green 7.

Bodhi's Gauntlet

You have to fight a Kobold, Sword Spider, Umber Hulk, Mind Flayer and a Beholder one by one to get it.
Old 11-02-2001, 09:15 AM   #6
Fuzzy Animal
Zhentarim Guard

Questions:

1) How did you manage mindflayers?

2) How low was your AC?

3) How long (game time) did it take you?

4) Did you have to reload a lot?

5) Which battle (if any) was the most difficult?
Old 11-02-2001, 09:39 AM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Fuzzy Animal:
Questions:
1) How did you manage mindflayers?

Used a Frostreaver + Saving Grace setup, the extra AC from the shield minimised hits, I also waited until I could use Whirlwind before attempting to fight the Mind Flayers. However, I still died a few times due to INT drain, my Cavalier only had 10 INT.

2) How low was your AC?

With Carsomyr, -8 AC. With the Sentinel Shield, -13 AC

3) How long (game time) did it take you?

About 103 game days

4) Did you have to reload a lot?

In the beginning, yes, but once I reached level 20 or so, death became a rare occurance.

5) Which battle (if any) was the most difficult?

Heh, heh... pre-level 20 would definitely be the fight against the Dwarf and his gang in the "Den of the Seven Vales" in Waukeen's Promenade, I had to run around a lot for that fight and lure them to an Amn Centurion to even the fight. I also summoned Skeletons using my Priest spells and a Genie from my Genie bottle. The fight was rewarding though, because it gave me a Full Platemail which was very useful for future battles.

Another frustrating one was Glacius, from Nalia's Keep, I had to reload about 7-8 times before a combination of Genie and Stinking Cloud allowed me to win that fight. Glacius was a higher level fighter than my Cavalier and I only had 3/2 attacks per round compared to his 3 per round. I was very happy when I finally defeated him.

After level 20? Hmmmm... I guess it was the final fight with Jon Irenicus in the Nine Hells. He had many attacks and dealt a lot of damage in his Slayer form, it was a close fight, not an easy one. I could not afford to retreat for long too, because he regenerates at an alarming rate.
[This message has been edited by Dundee Slaytern (edited 11-02-2001).]