Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 12-16-2004, 03:19 AM   #21
Maj
Drow Warrior

Your situation sounds a lot like mine! Finals are next week for me and I find myself staying up later, and later, unable to sleep... I've tried some of these suggestions, but I'll have to try more, cause I need sleep. I know what I'm doing after my last final next week - one long nap! And I'm skipping lunch for that and asking off work. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2004, 04:05 AM   #22
Callum
Symbol of Cyric

I'm surprised noone has said it... but

If you sleep on the edge of the bed, you'll soon drop.

Exercise. Exercise. Exercise. As finals are coming up for you, I would guess that you have been neglecting exercise in favour of study. Make sure that you leave at least an hour a day in your revision schedule for exercise. Intensice exerxise, that leaves you tired after.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:22 AM   #23
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

4:20 am, I have to be at work at 8. This sucks.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:18 AM   #24
wellard
Dracolisk

Illumina Drathiran'ar There are a few good tips in the above posts regarding coffee, mild exercise and not forcing sleep. As a long time shift worker whose sleep patterns are constantly changed day to day, the company I work for sent me on a course to help understand the mechanism's, and to give tips on, how to sleep.

First off (apart from those above) is too actually make the bedroom a room only for sleeping or sex Get rid of the TV or computer and other such distractions to other rooms. Your mind must only equate the bedroom for sleeping.

Is the room dark and quiet? If not make it so! thicker curtains etc. If noise is a problem (I have kids screaming during the day while trying to sleep) have a radio on playing soft music or chat at a level that is barely audible (i.e. if you do not focus on it you can not hear what is being said)

Spend time out in the sun during the middle of the day (this is overlooked by all day in front of the PC gamers) your body reacts to the sunlight and to the lack of sunlight at night. This tip is great for getting over jet lag BTW

Forget pills ... they do not give you proper sleep, nor does to much alcohol (sadly). Yes you go to sleep, but not the quality sleep you need.

This being a PG forum there are a few other ways to make yourself relaxed and sleepy but you have always struck me as highly intelligent, I'm sure you can work it out. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 12-16-2004, 06:26 AM   #25
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by wellard:
First off (apart from those above) is to actually make the bedroom a room only for ... sex
I have made the entire house a room only for sex [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2004, 06:35 AM   #26
wellard
Dracolisk

[img]graemlins/whackya.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/blownup.gif[/img]

Bah! bloody Queenslanders
Old 12-16-2004, 06:45 AM   #27
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Hey, them smilies is cruel!

I have the odd occassion when I can't sleep. I find getting and playing on the PC or doing some posting helps (specially reading these boring threads )
Reading can also make you tired.
Also be careful of what you eat or drink shortly before bed.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:23 AM   #28
shadowhound
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
[img]graemlins/whackya.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/blownup.gif[/img]

Bah! bloody Queenslanders
You have to love us
Old 12-16-2004, 08:15 AM   #29
SilentThief
Symbol of Cyric

Burger Time Champion
Quote:
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Spend time out in the sun during the middle of the day (this is overlooked by all day in front of the PC gamers) your body reacts to the sunlight and to the lack of sunlight at night. This tip is great for getting over jet lag BTW
I have to agree to this one bigtime, as where I'm from is Michigan, where the sun don't shine (you know what I mean...), and I was in Arizona, where the sun will cook you. But most surpizing than anything was how much that sun will also charge you up with energy. Instead of the hypersomniac (is that a word???) too much sleep schedual here in Michigan, I would go to bed at like 6 in the morning and unlike here I'd wake up ready for the day in 3-4 hours. I dig seeing the sun, and I hope to again someday

Sunlight is good for you, if you can stand it...

SilentThief
Old 12-16-2004, 11:16 AM   #30
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by shadowhound:
I have made the entire house a room only for sex [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Sounds like a good plan. Now all you need to do is find another person.