Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2004, 10:52 PM   #11
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Give us some specifics about when and where things blow up, and we can give you some thoughts. As well, tell us what else is running when you're trying to run W&W.

Give us information, and we'll see what aces can be played.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 11:08 AM   #12
Ragash
The Magister

OH MAN, I just typed a really long post with info, and accidentally clicked the back-button. Wee.. oh well, it went something like this:

The game crashes with the memory reference error about 2 seconds into the loading screen of W&W. I see the background, then the hourglass mouse cursor, then it goes down. Then I get a music loop in the background until I ctrl+alt+delete and end task -> deep6.exe

I was thinking about downgraping to DirectX 7, but do you think it'd help? Can it be done?

Including complete list of processes running in the background for the techies among you:

taskmgr.exe
IEXPLORE.EXE (well, yes)
DEVLDR32.EXE
ATIPTAXX.EXE
MSMSGS.EXE
CTHELPER.EXE
ccApp.exe
EXPLORER.EXE (obviously)
CCEVTMGR.EXE
SPOOLSV.EXE
ATI2EVXX.EXE
NAVAPSVC.EXE
NPROTECT.EXE
Runservice.exe
SVCHOST.EXE (x4)
ATI2EVXX.EXE
LSASS.EXE
SERVICES.EXE
WINLOGON.EXE
CRSS.EXE
SMSS.EXE
EM_EXEC.EXE
System
System Idle Process

For more details regarding mem usage or whatever you need, just let me know [img]smile.gif[/img] Any other specifics are given on command too, I don't know exactly what would be of use to y'all.

Thanks a lot for helping out
Ragash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 04:50 PM   #13
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragash:
OH MAN, I just typed a really long post with info, and accidentally clicked the back-button. Wee.. oh well, it went something like this:

I hate when that happens...
The game crashes with the memory reference error about 2 seconds into the loading screen of W&W. I see the background, then the hourglass mouse cursor, then it goes down. Then I get a music loop in the background until I ctrl+alt+delete and end task -> deep6.exe

This is before the virtualdub stuff would come into play. In spite of what Felix added , I would make sure you're running in Win95 compatibility mode. Set this on deep6.exe, and set it on the shortcut (c:\docs and settings\yourid\.... wherever) that you use to launch W&W.

I was thinking about downgraping to DirectX 7, but do you think it'd help? Can it be done?
I think it would hurt more than it would help. I run on Dx 9.0B. Try that.

Including complete list of processes running in the background for the techies among you:

Okay tasks
taskmgr.exe
IEXPLORE.EXE (well, yes)
ATIPTAXX.EXE
MSMSGS.EXE
EXPLORER.EXE (obviously)
SPOOLSV.EXE
System
System Idle Process

Borderline tasks
ATI2EVXX.EXE (x2?)
NAVAPSVC.EXE
NPROTECT.EXE
LSASS.EXE
SVCHOST.EXE (x4)
SERVICES.EXE
WINLOGON.EXE
CRSS.EXE
SMSS.EXE

Questionable tasks
Runservice.exe
DEVLDR32.EXE
CTHELPER.EXE
ccApp.exe
CCEVTMGR.EXE
Runservice.exe
EM_EXEC.EXE

I'm not sure exactly what these are, so I'd google for them to see if you really need them.

For more details regarding mem usage or whatever you need, just let me know [img]smile.gif[/img] Any other specifics are given on command too, I don't know exactly what would be of use to y'all.

Thanks a lot for helping out
You might also try a reinstall, or a manual install. As well, applying the patch, although unlikely, may take care of things.
-+-+-+
Old 03-25-2004, 10:29 AM   #14
Ragash
The Magister

Actually, I already applied the patch.. was that bad? I'm fairly sure I didn't try to run the game before patching it too.. I'm going to reinstall now and try without the patch.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:30 AM   #15
So So
Zhentarim Guard

It depends the patch is good for getting rid of many of the bugs...Many of them annoying...but also bad because with the patch, the game can't be exploited, or i mean um played easily [img]tongue.gif[/img] ...
Old 03-27-2004, 07:54 AM   #16
Ragash
The Magister

Right, nothing works [img]smile.gif[/img] I'm making backup copies of everything important (I've got lots of important stuff, judging from the size of my temporary backup dir), then I'm doing a format. After that I'm installing 2 operating systems (98SE and XP) and will hopefully get the damned game running. I hope it's worth the effort! As if it wouldn't be, right?

I'll post once it's done, it'll take me a while probably.

Later!
Old 03-27-2004, 11:57 AM   #17
Ragash
The Magister

OK, I'm finally done. I think I have an OCD syndrome that compels me to save EVERYTHING, even data (and the state of my apartment affirms that belief). About to format now, later!
Old 03-27-2004, 09:39 PM   #18
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Best of luck as you put things in place, Ragash. May all your backups work perfectly.
-+-+-+
Old 03-28-2004, 07:26 AM   #19
Ragash
The Magister

OK, done [img]smile.gif[/img] It took 16 or so hours, been up all night. Had a few encounters with some nasty viruses and stuff. Oh well, at least I have a NEW error to show off! Now the screen just goes black when I try to start the game and the computer locks up completely

I'm running on Windows 98SE now. Anyway, just wanted to drop a progress report before I started fiddling with the game, I think I saw something about black screens in the tech tips section. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:44 AM   #20
Ragash
The Magister

Right, I'm blaming this blunder on weariness. After all, I've been up for 36 hours. In my hurry to get the game up and running, I quickly vdubbed the townavi files and simply started the game. After arsing that up, I remembered the virtual memory settings and changed them to custom ones. Should have thought of that sooner. It doesn't matter though, because

THE GAME IS RUNNING!

Bwahahahahahahahaha! FINALLY! Thanks for all your help so far, it's been invaluable [img]smile.gif[/img]

Be prepared to woe this day for all eternity though, because now the REAL questions start [img]tongue.gif[/img] Be prepared to answer stupid noob questions about gameplay, party creation and development, which weapon is better than the next one, which spell is good in what situation, how to find this or that chest and this or that artifact. You'll learn to hate me, you'll try to ignore me, but I'll be waiting around every bend of this forum! You'll try to refer to older posts where people have asked the same questions countless times, but I won't find them! Bwahaha!

Be prepared.. for I got the game RUNNING

The Gael Serran awaits! I'll be back!

*manic cackle fading in the distance*