Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-07-2001, 03:19 AM   #11
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Well, I only want to howl it up a little more..

------------------

::HOWLING WOLFGIR THE MAD WOLF::
Old 03-07-2001, 05:26 AM   #12
Moiraine
Anubis

OK, Ramon, I will add some explanations about the fighting system, and the skills/feats/abilities.

The AC system has been simplified (BTW, you will have to adjust to the fact that it has been reversed - now, it is the higher AC the better).

Facing your ennemies, you generally have the AC given by your armor plus your Dex bonus.
At the beginning of an encounter, every character rolls an initiative dice (Dex check, the higher the better), which will last for all the rounds of the encounter. The DM rolls a single initiative check for all the ennemies.
During the first round only, a character or a foe is 'flat-footed' if his initiative is lower than that of his opponent(s), which means that his Dex bonus does not apply.
A surprised character or foe also remains flat-footed for a full round, and is allowed no action during this round.
Some feats allow characters to avoid being flat-footed, like the level 3 'Uncanny Dodge' Rogue ability.
Sometimes the context doesn't allow you to get your Dex bonus, for example if you are attacked by an invisible opponent (you can't dodge).
When a mage casts a spell requiring touch, he must first succed in touching, which is an attack roll against which the armor AC does not apply (Dex bonus only). Against some rare weapons (like the whip, if I am not mistaken), the armor AC does not count either.
A character or foe can also make additional 'attacks of opportunity', provoked by an action of his opponent - for example, if a mage starts preparing a spell, or if your opponent starts to flee, you have an attack of opportunity against him.
Then, each round, every character can perform an action, in the order of his initiative.
You also have the notion of 'partial action', which is basically a standard action without a move. An attack of opportunity is a partial action.

This way, the combats run much faster than with older D&D rules, and are much simpler to explain to new players.

Also, do not mix skills and feats. A skill is an ability for which you have a score that you can raise by spending skill points that you get when you gain levels.

Depending on your character class, you have access to :
- 'Class skills' : if you spend 1 skill point in this skill, you get 1 skill rank
- 'Cross-class skills' : if you spend 1 skill point in this skill, you get 1/2 skill rank
For example, the 'Hide' skill is available to all classes, but is a class-skill only for Bards, Monks, Rangers and Rogues. Also, some skills are unavailable for some classes - for example, the 'Read Lips' skill is unavailable for anyone but the Rogue.
Every skill has a key ability - means that you add your ability bonus to your skill rank. (Ex; The 'Handle animal' skill is related to Charisma).

A feat is a special ability with no score attached. Some classes get access to more feats than others when gaining levels (the Rogue has more skill points, the fighters classes have more feats). Some feats you need a minimum ability score to get them. Some feats you have to already have a previous feat to get them. For example :
- You need a Dex 15+ to get the 'Ambidextry' feat
- You need to be a Spellcaster level 3 to get the 'Brew potion' feat
- You need to have a Str 13+ AND the 'Power Attack' feat to get the 'Cleave' feat (if you have an opponent dropping (e.g. he goes below 0 HP), then you get an extra melee attack against any other melee opponent - VERY powerful !)

And - there are also special abilities that are neither feats nor skills, and that you automatically gain when you raise a level - like the Rogue level 3 'Uncanny Dodge' ability.

ALl these add new interests every time you get a new level - you are not only better at what you already did before, you also have new powers.

What you were talking about (bookbinding, alike) are not skills - I'll try to search what you were referring to.

List of skills : Alchemy, Animal empathy, Appraise, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft (1 skill / craft), Decipher script, Diplomacy, Disable device, Disguise, Escape artist, Forgery, Gather information, Handle animal, Heal, Hide, Innuendo, Intimidate, Intuit direction, Jump, Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (religion), Knowledge (nature), Knowledge (all), Listen, Move silently, Open lock, Perform, Pick pocket, Profession (1 skill / profession), Read lips, Ride, Scry, Search, Sense motive, Speak language (1 skill / language), Spellcraft, Spot, Swim, Tumble, Use magic device, Use rope, Wilderness lore.

List of feats I will write later (big list this one).

Any question ?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Moiraine (edited 03-07-2001).]
Old 03-07-2001, 11:54 AM   #13
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Moiraine

what shall I say to you ?

You are incredible and amaze me, but you also scare me and make me feel guilty.

I am worried about you and your family. You must have been neglecting them and yourself completely during the last couple of days. I am not concerned so much about your husband - he is a grown man after all - but about you and your son.
Marc is only nine years old and needs his "maman". You are a hard-working mother and wife who needs to relax after coming home from work instead of indulging into countless hours of research/writing for a lazy bastard as myself who could just as well go get himself a 3rd. edition rules book if he is really so interested in that stuff.

The line about the 50-page research paper in my original post was just joking.
But you are in the process of making it come true !

Mercy !

Ahh, damn it, I told you that my French is less than perfect, didn't I ?

Of course, that is really supposed to be Merci !

(Still in awe, bowing and throwing kisses at her he leaves, so that she has
the stage all to herself and can receive the well-earned thunderous applause by the audience.)

------------------
So long !

R³ - Co-president(s) of the Club of Broken Hearts

[This message has been edited by Ramon de Ramon y Ramon (edited 03-07-2001).]
Old 03-07-2001, 04:50 PM   #14
Moiraine
Anubis

Wow, Ramon, what a praise !

Scare you ? SCARE YOU !!! LOL ! It must be the first time in my life that I have ever scared anybody !!!

Don't worry about hubbie or child, they too are both RPGs addicts ! In fact, I am sure my husband would tell me I have forgotten stuff in my post !

And if I have given you the urge to buy the new rules books and have a try, then my goal is reached, isn't it ? No GO BUY THEM !

------------------
Old 03-07-2001, 08:56 PM   #15
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

I am glad you appreciated it, but you had really earned your praise, madame !

Btw, I am especially glad that the notion of finally having suceeded in scaring
someone is so appealing to you. Keep scaring me, si te plait !

------------------
So long !

Old 03-08-2001, 07:31 AM   #16
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Bump !

------------------
So long !

Old 03-08-2001, 07:32 AM   #17
WOLFGIR

Well Moiraine, you simple have the knack for describing things very good! Even I who already is hooked to the game get more interested in it

Well, todays lesson boys and girls!

MAGIC!!! *ohhh ahhh, shuffling feets, screaming and running.. *

Well magic hasn´t really changed that much, still the same spells and priest spells and druid/ranger spells..

What has changed though makes a considerable affect on playing the game..

Well for starters though (hey I´m no teacher so pay attention
mage.
Standrad spell wielding old gnarled guy or sexy lady.. (Why is it never the other way around??)
memorization required and ain spells/lvl and has bonus spells due to int modifier (hence a good +1 to int migh give an extra fireball per day to throw..) Int is important.
Druid must memorize, chooses from druid table of spells.
Wis or Char (can´t rember which don´t play one that often )
Cleric. Chooses good or evil alignment and then chooses main areas of his/her deities prefered domains, chaous/law/good/evil/war etc..
The Cleric gets one bonus spell from his first domain. has to memorise good can change any memorised spell into equal or lower cure spell evil cause injurie.
Sorcerer, gains level spells slower then mage and has limitations to known spells, but has more spells and don´r need to memorize them.
Bards as mage with some restrictions and paladins and rangers too.. but for cleric and druid charts..

How to fry a guy in one second!
Either cast something that always hit, magic missiles
Or make a touch attack, a closecombat attak agains standard ac (10) to hit
Or cast area effect spells or touch attack succes melee can be tough..

OK, most spells only takes on round to cast, no more a mage standing in the background fizzling about ad when ready all foes are dead.. Spells are quicker but there are also thoose that takes really LOOOOONG time to cast, like wish and such..

Well a short and very brief check on magic, (moiraine will probably bite my tail if I missed something important )
hehe

------------------

Old 03-08-2001, 08:51 AM   #18
Moiraine
Anubis

Hi Wolfie, thanks !

I hope YOU I didn't scare - what a shame it would be, a wolf scared by a squirrel, eh ?

Now, what should be the next chapter ? A description of the basic classes maybe ? I will give it a try tonight after work.

You still have not received the CDs, BTW ?

------------------
Old 03-08-2001, 09:08 AM   #19
Asphyxiate
Manshoon

(ooc)
Ramon, just wanted to say that your name cracks me up. Every time I look at a posting from you I can't help but smile. It helps that my boss's name at work is Ramon and I .. well. It just tickles me thats all!

------------------
Old 03-08-2001, 09:16 AM   #20
WOLFGIR

Quote:
Originally posted by Moiraine:
Hi Wolfie, thanks !

I hope YOU I didn't scare - what a shame it would be, a wolf scared by a squirrel, eh ?

Now, what should be the next chapter ? A description of the basic classes maybe ? I will give it a try tonight after work.

You still have not received the CDs, BTW ?

hehe, no scary scary here.. takes alot more to scare me, had you actually written all five pages maybe.. LOL

Nope No CD´s yet, Hopefully when I get home this afternoon (Only two more devastingly booring hours) they will be waiting for me.
yesterday i had gotten my copy of X-men on DVD hehe, I do like Wolverine.. *REALLY BIG WOLFGRIN HERE* But I guess I like Stom even more! *More grinning and my head splits*

------------------