Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-07-2003, 01:03 PM   #1
Rokenn
Galvatron

It seems to me that with the mounting evidence that the Administration embellished, or may have even out-right lied, about the reasons for war in Iraq. This coupled with the deep ties to Enron, makes me wonder if the republicans are showing a bit of a double standard toward presidential conduct. If there was a dem in the office with all the mounting evidence they would be drafting an army of special prosecutors to tear em down.

Here is some of the latest info to come to light:
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/06/opinion/06WILS.html
Old 07-07-2003, 01:33 PM   #2
Grojlach
Zartan

And I posted a similar CNN-article on this subject earlier today in this topic, in case there's anyone here who's allergic to the NY Times and wouldn't even want to touch any of their articles with a ten foot pole.
Grojlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 02:15 PM   #3
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

The July 7th issue of Time contains on p.32 the article:
"Who Lost the WMD?: As the weapons hunt intensifies, so does the finger pointing. A preview of the coming battle."
Old 07-07-2003, 03:07 PM   #4
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
And I posted a similar CNN-article on this subject earlier today in this topic, in case there's anyone here who's allergic to the NY Times and wouldn't even want to touch any of their articles with a ten foot pole.
Opps, sorry Grojlach, I overlooked your post. But even without the missings WMD's the Enron debacle would have prompted a full-scale impeachment drive if it had been a Democratic administration. Lucky for Bush the dems are spine-less and 9/11 kept people from pressing too hard on the issue.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:02 PM   #5
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

Rokenn, the " deep ties" with enron seem to go deep with the pevious administration as well. Old Kenny Lay gave alot of money to the Dems, and he was a buyer of the Lincoln Bedroom also. And ex-treasury secretary Rubin has alot to explain about allowing Enron, Worldcom, and others to trade stock they knew was not worth the asking price.
khazadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 10:15 PM   #6
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

That's all very true, khazadman. The Enron debacle was the result of years of fiscal shenanigans by the corporate execs. It all came crashing down shortly after George Bush became President. If you look at the timeline, ALL of the falsified accounting practices, shadow corporations, and everything else took place during Clinton's administration.

And - as you pointed out - Ken Ley was a frequent visitor to the White House during Clinton's two terms. He stayed in Lincoln's Bedroom at least 11 times during the 8 years that Clinton was President.

Now to be perfectly fair, I don't doubt that Bush would have been just as "courteous" to Ken Ley as Clinton was. I'm sure Ken would still be sleeping in Lincoln's room even now if Enron had not self-destructed.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:32 AM   #7
Moiraine
Anubis

Speaking of Enron, can somebody tell me what happened for the many people who lost their retirement pensions investments in Eron's sinking ? Will they get a pension or will they have to go on working until the end of their life ?
Old 07-08-2003, 06:44 AM   #8
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

To the best of my knowledge, Moiraine, they are just completely out of luck. Enron went bankrupt and I don't know if the courts have made any provisions for available funds to be set aside for their retirement.

The part that infuriated me the most about the this whole deal was when Ken Ley's wife did a TV interview and claimed that she and Ken were now broke... well, except for the chateau in Aspen, Colorado, and 5 other houses they owned across the country. Meanwhile, some of Enron's former employees were wondering how they would find enough money to buy groceries each week.

Personally, I feel they should have frozen every personal bank account Ken Ley and his top exec's had - then used those funds to supplement the lost retirement packages of the former employees.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Ley and the others should be left destitute {wellll, not completely anyway}...but if his spoiled rich wife is going to go on TV and claim they are broke, then she needs to learn what it is like to really be broke. Plenty of former Enron employees are facing that reality every day.
Old 07-08-2003, 08:15 AM   #9
MagiK

Wonder why no one is following the investigations that are going on in the Intelligence committee or why the main stream press cannot get over the fact that the issues of WoMD were just one of several issues put forth for going into Iraq. Colin Powell had an 18,000 word report to the UN, only 3500 words or so were devoted to WoMD. I also note the press' seeming amnesia over the issue of WoMD in Iraq being why the previous administration bombed terror camps in the country...oh wait...that would be something like investigative reporting and journalistic integrity...we all know how full of those qualities the Times is.

Ya know, this question has been asked over and over and it has been refuted over and over. How about coming up with something new? Just a request, not a demand.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:43 AM   #10
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:

Wonder why no one is following the investigations that are going on in the Intelligence committee or why the main stream press cannot get over the fact that the issues of WoMD were just one of several issues put forth for going into Iraq. Colin Powell had an 18,000 word report to the UN, only 3500 words or so were devoted to WoMD. I also note the press' seeming amnesia over the issue of WoMD in Iraq being why the previous administration bombed terror camps in the country...oh wait...that would be something like investigative reporting and journalistic integrity...we all know how full of those qualities the Times is.

Ya know, this question has been asked over and over and it has been refuted over and over. How about coming up with something new? Just a request, not a demand.
Ya know Magik if you had actually read the piece you would have seen that it was NOT a piece of Times reporting, but an op-ed piece written by the man that actually conducted the investigation about the alleged uranium sale. Also Ari Fleisher has come forward to say that yes they had the report nearly a full year before the president used the discredited report of the uranium sales as part of his campaign of mis-information.

Now can you honestly tell me that if it had been a Democratic president who had done this that you would not be calling for his head on a plate? This is a little more serious then lying about wither or not your boinking the interns. If they lied about this, then what else have they been lying about?